• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

The I30N depreciation worse than others ‘statement’

I still think you have this new phenomenon- the 2/3 month car owner - who maybe thinks this car is the holy grail of cars, probably hasn’t researched it a lot, and is disappointed that it isn’t something it’s not.

I bet you there’s loads of I30N ex owners that fall into this category.

Reactions: NULLOBANDITO
I still think you have this new phenomenon- the 2/3 month car owner - who maybe thinks this car is the holy grail of cars, probably hasn’t researched it a lot, and is disappointed that it isn’t something it’s not.

I bet you there’s loads of I30N ex owners that fall into this category.

Curios to ask, do you have some specific "disappointments" in mind?

I did a lot of research and I decided the i30n must be my next car, seems like an awesome package, but still haven't seen one in person, wondering if there's anything I missed?

This is really interesting... I work in the trade and typically I only keep my cars for around a year or so max and I deal more in equity be it negative or positive than outright depreciation. I've never had to throw more than a couple of hundred quid at a deal to get back to a zero deposit scenario and just swap it in for the next one... It's the same with my car now that I bought as an Ex-Demo I'm pretty much break even on what I owe, to put a finer point on it the previous car was a Golf R and before that Focus and Fiesta STs... Weird thing is with this car I haven't got the itch to change it anymore! So really it's no worse than any other car I've had in terms of depreciation. It's about buying smart and having the right deal going forward

I expected the fuel bill on a track but after 14 ringlaps and a trackday on zolder, 14000km so far and the Pirelli's are still not worn out. I think they spilled some michelin compound in my tyres :D
Pick mine up in a few weeks on my WAY to the ring so ill see how it is lol

Curios to ask, do you have some specific "disappointments" in mind?

I did a lot of research and I decided the i30n must be my next car, seems like an awesome package, but still haven't seen one in person, wondering if there's anything I missed?

The I30N is a great car, if you are a "car enthusiast" and like to drive cars. I just came back from vacation where I rented a BMW 530i for 3 weeks. This car is smoother, bigger, more comfortable, more expensive and a much better car for commuting / long trips /city driving. It is also as fast as a I30N from 0-60 (due to a fast shifting automatic gear box). But it is dull to drive actively. It is a cruiser to get you comfortable from A to B.

BUT, the I30N is a much more FUN car to drive if you like twisty backroads and to be engaged during the drive. If you like a "drivers car", the I30N is a very affordable car, that ticks of most of those boxes.

If you are the person that thinks a car is just a transport from A to B, look elsewhere...;)

The I30N is a great car, if you are a "car enthusiast" and like to drive cars. I just came back from vacation where I rented a BMW 530i for 3 weeks. This car is smoother, bigger, more comfortable, more expensive and a much better car for commuting / long trips /city driving. It is also as fast as a I30N from 0-60 (due to a fast shifting automatic gear box). But it is dull to drive actively. It is a cruiser to get you comfortable from A to B.

BUT, the I30N is a much more FUN car to drive if you like twisty backroads and to be engaged during the drive. If you like a "drivers car", the I30N is a very affordable car, that ticks of most of those boxes.

If you are the person that thinks a car is just a transport from A to B, look elsewhere...;)

I can't agree with you more!! I come from a 2011 Audi A5 Sportback and the experience always was as you said, unengaging, boring even, rarely felt like I was rewarded for driving, feels like a car for the passengers...

I won't say I'm an amazing driver, but if I ever am to really learn, I bet it's in a car like the N, where every action needs to be carefully calculated and implemened, with awesome reward every time you get it right...

Planning to research amazing curvy roads from all over Europe just to go there and drive over them, sleep somewhere for the night, and drive some more...

Does this kins of scenario seem appropriate for an N? Or how do you guys enjoy yours the most? (except for track, I might consider that as well, but first to get used with the car!)

Reactions: Rival Son
The customer has actually paid £20,883 for the car (to Hyundai) and the rest in VAT to the government as a tax. Unless you are Vat registered, come the time you sell or part exchange that Vat amount won’t be added to the sale price of the car. Your car lost £4200 of its invoice value as soon as you drove it away with NO depreciation as it was a tax.
Nonsense. Some cars go up in value if there is limited supply. The price of a secondhand car is all down to supply and demand. The original price just shows what you could get a new car for, which is a sort of ceiling on the secondhand value. If there is enough demand (which at that age can be controlled by the dealer network to a large extent) then people bid the price up into that -20% band. Another significant factor for early depreciation is that you can't spec the car exactly how you want it. With the i30N, which has very limited extras, that is not such an effect.

From 0-60 it's about even but where it counts, from a roll, it's way slower then an N. On comfort it's no contest. Did the 530i feel like these measurements?

http://www.zeperfs.com/en/duel7147-6770.htm

55k starting price :eek: With the N there's over 20k left for an equally dull comfy Skoda superb or octavia (second hand vrs).

From 0-60 it's about even but where it counts, from a roll, it's way slower then an N. On comfort it's no contest. Did the 530i feel like these measurements?

http://www.zeperfs.com/en/duel7147-6770.htm

55k starting price :eek: With the N there's over 20k left for an equally dull comfy Skoda superb or octavia (second hand vrs).

The two cars are like apples and oranges. Not intended to be compared seriously, compared them just because it was my rental. The I30N pulls harder, but the BMW shifts faster. The BMW does not feel very fast, because it is so comfortable and quiet. Night and day on twisty roads.

Personally I like the Hyundai style car best. If I had the money, I would go for the new Mercedes 2020 AMG A45S.

Reactions: WestsideTouge
Just compared second hand prices i30n vs gti in Belgium on autoscout24.
There are about 1/3 more gti's on sale. i30n prices fell about 10-15% compared to new.
Gti prices are harder to compare, about the same is i30n but the new prices where much higher with a couple of options.
Gti's don't hold their value better in the first year in Belgium. I'm curious what will happen in the coming years.

Last edited:
Those on PCP should find that their minimum guaranteed value should be quite a bit less than the actual value. I took a 3 year deal and I think the value Hyundai gave me after 3 years was something like £11-12k (I’ll have to dig out the paperwork later). Compared to other hot hatches this i30N should holds its value better I think. Lots of love and ratings for this car still after over 1 year from people and press alike so while it has potential to be a classic in ‘x’ amount of years, in the next 2 years the value should still be good enough to get you a decent deposit into another car for those who’ll choose to let it go.

I’m still undecided what to do in 2 years time. I could give it away and say thank you for the laughs but that would be stupid considering that the resale value could be good meaning it may be better to either refinance the remaining £11k or so, or use the added extra value towards another Hyundai (maybe a refreshed i30N or even the upcoming i20N depending on its final iteration).

I’d hate to let her go as I’m still having a lot of fun 14k miles in. I don’t have any desire to own a different car. I have been tempted by Mazda’s latest MX-5 RF but to sacrifice the power of the i30N for that would be a hard pill to swallow. Plus losing 2 seats would make it difficult considering I’ve got 2 kids (even though we now have a 7-seater 4WD Santa Fe in the household).

Maybe if we’re lucky we’ll get 16k in 2021. It’s hard to say really. If the praise and love continues, we may have a great deal here but all depends what Hyundai do next. I’ve not seen talk of another i30N hatchback yet so if there are no plans for a newer model in the next 2 years then the value could hold for us original owners.
Interesting story. I am actually on similar one. Took PCP for 4 years, now I am 20 months in and still loving it. Just not sure what to do after 4 years when it will come to paying off the remaining balance. I am kinda interested in the Tucson N that I've heard might be released early next year. Will be interesting to see how this will play out :)

Last edited: