• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Engine SXTH element engineering downpipe

So help me out here im not super knowledgeable on cars science. What is this downpipe doing? Does the downpipe help the turbo spool faster? Or is it like more efficient exhaust from engine means more power?

Short answer; Allows the turbo to more efficiently move gases away from the turbine which creates more power and increase the boost much more efficiently.

The biggest increase for the dollars spent will come from an ECU tune, downpipe and FMIC. To make the most power from your stock turbo, a downpipe is one of the most critical pieces.

Reactions: applesnax8828
Short answer; Allows the turbo to more efficiently move gases away from the turbine which creates more power and increase the boost much more efficiently.

The biggest increase for the dollars spent will come from an ECU tune, downpipe and FMIC. To make the most power from your stock turbo, a downpipe is one of the most critical pieces.
Thanks for the breakdown. Much appreciated.

Well with all the nonsense going on in the world currently I haven’t had a chance to post this. But DP is on ! Words of wisdom even with PB blaster you’re not going to have a good time with this guy.. my mechanic had to replace all of the studs due to them backing out with the nuts/snapping. So 8 hours later and my pockets $350 lighter it’s on lol. Impressions of the down pipe so far are good. I’ve had it on for about a week now and I feel it’s getting louder. At first I was very disappointed in the sound but it’s coming alive now. And the she seems to have a bit more pep in her step as well. Also it’s hard to tell in pics but it’s getting some lovely color to it as the miles rack up.870AB3A3-E3B1-4946-B494-590740DCAD1B.jpeg

Yep, they studs are a bugger to get out. You've got to double nut them and soak the crap out of them with penetrating oil. They don't utilize stainless hardware and they tend to seize up. Did he by chance utilize any anti seize when reinstalling them? :) Makes a big difference if it has to be removed later on.

Looks good Chris!!

Yep, they studs are a bugger to get out. You've got to double nut them and soak the crap out of them with penetrating oil. They don't utilize stainless hardware and they tend to seize up. Did he by chance utilize any anti seize when reinstalling them? :) Makes a big difference if it has to be removed later on.

Looks good Chris!!
I certainly hope he did just for his sake lol. He’s the only mechanic I trust working on the car. And he damn well knows I’ll be back to him if I decide to go cat less in the future.

Reactions: R Veloster N
So I’ve had the down pipe on for a few hundred miles and I must say it has really woken the car up. For comparison she feels just as rowdy as to when I first installed my Jb4 and ran map 1. That’s how significant of a difference it has made. And the noises continue to get better. I now have little baby pops when shifting non aggressively and the big pops are LOUD and usually come in sets of threes. Overall I am very happy with the end results and can highly recommended this especially now that they have them in stock. Also this is the highest I’ve ever had the factory gauges spike to. I know the factory readings aren’t the most accurate But Even when I had the JB4 it never touched these values. 0527A79C-6BC8-4CB6-AB45-FB09FEE665F6.jpeg8971A1B8-AD6F-4B1A-AB80-2CD233B8FE7A.jpeg

So I’ve had the down pipe on for a few hundred miles and I must say it has really woken the car up. For comparison she feels just as rowdy as to when I first installed my Jb4 and ran map 1. That’s how significant of a difference it has made. And the noises continue to get better. I now have little baby pops when shifting non aggressively and the big pops are LOUD and usually come in sets of threes. Overall I am very happy with the end results and can highly recommended this especially now that they have them in stock. Also this is the highest I’ve ever had the factory gauges spike to. I know the factory readings aren’t the most accurate But Even when I had the JB4 it never touched these values. View attachment 12037View attachment 12038
Man all this sitting around is going to kill me and my wallet. lol! I told myself I wasn't going to mod my N. I would be good and not mess with the 10 year 100k warranty. But I miss the sound of a high flow cat!! Uggg
Red help me out here. I know a tune will impact our warrenty in the states, but what about the DP....? Also perhaps more importantly can we safely run this without a tune? Under the track usage guarentee, it states "custom straight exhaust pipe". Would this include the DP?

Man all this sitting around is going to kill me and my wallet. lol! I told myself I wasn't going to mod my N. I would be good and not mess with the 10 year 100k warranty. But I miss the sound of a high flow cat!! Uggg
Red help me out here. I know a tune will impact our warrenty in the states, but what about the DP....? Also perhaps more importantly can we safely run this without a tune? Under the track usage guarentee, it states "custom straight exhaust pipe". Would this include the DP?
Yessir you should be good if you install a DP and run into issues down the road. Im not running a tune currently and noticed quite a big difference. Also using my wideband shows my AFRs are exactly where they should be. Stop being a wimp and open that baby up lol