• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Sunroof Headroom - Fastback

Spiced Gouda

Dec 18, 2019
Adelaide
Hey Guys,
So last weekend I picked up a brand new Fastback with lux pack and sunroof in Micron Grey. I am coming from a 2007 base model Ford Fiesta, so the N is a bit of a spaceship in comparison. I am absolutely enamoured with the car in all but one way; the headroom.

I am 177cm (5ft 10) tall and in a comfortable driving position with the seat as low as I can make it, my head scrapes the roof. I know the sunroof eats a bit of room, and I know I have a long torso for my size but I am average height. My girlfriend can sit in the passenger seat with her hair up without any issues and she isn't that much shorter than I am.

I am concerned I will get back/neck problems on longer drives.

Am I going crazy? Am I wrong? Is there an issue with the seat?

Last edited:
Shaquille O'Neal would know!!:p
but I am average height
Negative Ghost Rider the pattern is full! You're not an average height person, you're, mas grande.o_O:D

Move the the seat sit back a bit further, maybe to the stops? You can always remove the driver's seat and sit in the rear seat!:p

On a serious note; Write Hyundai Corporate and tell them about the issue. They may have a fix or offer a fix free of charge. They're always into the accessibility stuff.

Last edited:
Shaquille O'Neal would know!!:p
Negative Ghost Rider the pattern is full! You're not an average height person, you're, mas grande.o_O:D

Move the the seat sit back a bit further, maybe to the stops? You can always remove the driver's seat and sit in the rear seat!:p

On a serious note; Write Hyundai Corporate and tell them about the issue. They may have a fix or offer a fix free of charge. They're always into the accessibility stuff.

Ha sorry that is my bad, I am 5ft 10! this is what happens when we stray from the metric system.

Reactions: R Veloster N
Yeah so apparently the average height in Aus is 175.6cm, so you're very close to the average. I'm 174-5cm myself and have a fastback with sunroof and don't have any issues, in fact I raised the seat a little bit. Surely there is enough adjustment for yourself..

Yeah so apparently the average height in Aus is 175.6cm, so you're very close to the average. I'm 174-5cm myself and have a fastback with sunroof and don't have any issues, in fact I raised the seat a little bit. Surely there is enough adjustment for yourself..
I wouldn't have thought 2cm of height would be the difference. Maybe my head is bigger than I thought....

Hatchback with sunroof here. I am 2m (6.6ft) and I fit fine. I have about 5 fingers of headroom if my head is under the glass. If I move it closer to the side window I have about 2 fingers. I have more room with the sunroof than without.

Hatchback with sunroof here. I am 2m (6.6ft) and I fit fine. I have about 5 fingers of headroom if my head is under the glass. If I move it closer to the side window I have about 2 fingers. I have more room with the sunroof than without.

Sloping roofline on the fastback impacts it a fair bit, the PDF of changes between the two it's noticable:

headroom.PNG

Funnily enough, it's lower by 2.5cm, don't tell me you have the unfortunate situation of being within 2.5cm of maximum headroom then the sunroof impedes another 2 and thus it's too low..

Reactions: Kobrah
I'm 179cm but have a longer torso and had the same problem in the Fastback. I could fit but no chance of wearing a helmet so bought the hatchback.

Even in the hatch seating position #1 is for the track and #2 is for the road. I need to have a slight recline to make sure my helmet doesn't hit the roof all the time.