• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Street runs

N Faded oD

Nthusiast
Feb 17, 2019
Jersey
Not sure what the views are of street racing is here but thought I'd share some of my "kills" so far.

I ran a black 2015 civic SI a few weeks back. Not sure of his mods but he wasn't stock. He had a exhaust and intake and the minimum. Did 3 pulls where I chased him and the gap was closed honestly pretty quick.

I was cross shopping the N with the WRX before my purchase. Since I've made my purchase I've been dying to see how the 2 stack up. I've seen many Subarus but none really wanted to have "fun". Tonight I found the one! Not sure of his mods either but he was shooting flames out the back. I want to say a stage one tune at the bare minimum but no way to know for sure. With that said we did 3 runs on his honk. Every single time I pulled in front of him at the lower rpms. At the top of 4th to 5th he started to gain ground but he'd need alot of space to make the pass.

I was really impressed with how they stacked up especially with the N being completely stock.

Anyone else get some decent runs?

Wouldn't say street 'racing' as such, but definitely been playing. Dispatched every GTI (as you'd hope and expect), most WRXs except for an STI which pipped me at the post at the top end and the odd GTS-T Skyline.

Best fun was a Golf R Mk 7 (I assume totally stock) after chance meeting in the suburbs early on a quiet Sunday morning with pretty much no other traffic on the roads. He'd pull away on the short straights but I finally got him on the second exit of the third roundabout on the outside which is either testament to the handling of this thing or his lack of balls (I prefer the former).

I have also been absolutely destroyed by a 2018 Type R. It didn't hurt too much. Wait, yes it did.

Awesome work bro!!

I ran into one type R but it wasn't a good place to run. My brother believes the N would put a good run but deep down I know the type r will gap me lol.

A stock STI is what I want to run next!

Reactions: GazmaN
Awesome work bro!!

I ran into one type R but it wasn't a good place to run. My brother believes the N would put a good run but deep down I know the type r will gap me lol.

A stock STI is what I want to run next!
STI will have you in a straight line. Type R will have you everwhere. Try being 'gapped' by 3 to 4 car lengths by end of third gear - embarrassing, lol.

STI will have you in a straight line. Type R will have you everwhere. Try being 'gapped' by 3 to 4 car lengths by end of third gear - embarrassing, lol.

STI over the N from a roll? Very possible, kinda hard to gauge since the WRX I ran wasn't stock and not sure how stock vs stock they stack up. I know for sure from a dig it's a wrap for the N lol.

Type R is just a another animal!

STI over the N from a roll? Very possible, kinda hard to gauge since the WRX I ran wasn't stock and not sure how stock vs stock they stack up. I know for sure from a dig it's a wrap for the N lol.

Type R is just a another animal!
Animal indeed. And yeah, that's how the STI got me, surprised I even kept up with it for a bit to be honest....

Animal indeed. And yeah, that's how the STI got me, surprised I even kept up with it for a bit to be honest....

I was surprised I pulled on the WRX knowing it wasn't stock so maybe that gave me too much confidence against the STI lol. How much did he pull on you and what gear you started to fall behind?

I was surprised I pulled on the WRX knowing it wasn't stock so maybe that gave me too much confidence against the STI lol. How much did he pull on you and what gear you started to fall behind?
Halfway between third and fourth he started gaining and the margin kept increasing from there.

Reactions: N Faded oD
Had my try at an RX-8 on the unlimited part of autobahn near my place. Boy does that Dorito-power have a nice steady pull. Top-end lacked a bit on the RX-8 (asked the owner later while refueling, the apex seals and block were nearly done - rotary life i guess LOL) but the Turbo does help quite a bit on the N.

Reactions: GazmaN
Had my try at an RX-8 on the unlimited part of autobahn near my place. Boy does that Dorito-power have a nice steady pull. Top-end lacked a bit on the RX-8 (asked the owner later while refueling, the apex seals and block were nearly done - rotary life i guess LOL) but the Turbo does help quite a bit on the N.

So was he pulling away from you?

My car is 100% stock:

Ecoboost Mustang 2016/17 (it looked stock): 55 - 110 or so - dead heat but he was starting to pull on me; hit traffic.

2015 Wipple supercharged, 700+ WHP 5.0 Mustang: bunch of back road driving together. He couldn't shake me on a twisty road but of course just fucked off on the straights.

2018 STi (stock): ran from a roll in second up to around the top of 4th gear for my car; he pulled me the whole way by about 4 cars by the end.

2017 GTI DSG (intake + axle back exhaust): from a stop I had no chance, from a roll in second I had a very slight edge. Had him by a car or two to 125.

2016 Focus RS; no chance. He says the car is stock other than the tires but he pulled me so hard I thought my car was broken or something.

20XX Fiat 500 Abarth (stock): He could hang with me through first and second but after that the N starts to pull ahead pretty steadily.

Some kind of newer Lexus 4-door blew my doors off earlier today getting on the highway. Turned N mode off after she passed me because I probably looked retarded making all that noise and getting walked, silently, by a Lexus. I was at WOT and the girl driving the Lexus was on the phone, not even paying me any attention as she passed me on the right. Embarrassing.

2018 Type R (stock): Killed me from every speed and even ran away from me on a back road. That thing is a fucking rocket ship.

Our cars are weak in a straight line, period. That being said, not even that mighty Focus RS could hang with me on the Back of the Dragon up in VA. The Whipple mustang nearly binned it trying to get away from me; that video will go up on my YouTube channel over the weekend.

The only car that has outrun me on a back road was that Type R. The driver was very skilled and I actually ran the Pirellis on my car to their breaking point a few times and he was still carrying more speed on corner entry, mid-corner, and came out of the corners harder. We switched cars and the result was the same, I left him behind when he was in my car.

I plan on selling the N next year to get a Type R. It's the perfect car for the street.

Last edited:
Stock 2018 Focus RS: from a dig he had me (as expected) by a car or so up until 3rd gear, then I pulled on him

Stock Golf R 6MT: same as above

Stock Type R: highway pulls from 40-120, this is where I learned that this car needs to be short shifted. Pulled hard on him from 4500RPM-6000RPM, at which point he started to reel me back in since I was initially shifting at redline and the N falls on its face above 6k RPM with the stock turbo. We'd both change gears and the cycle would repeat. I ended up ahead of him by maybe a fender. Keep in mind this was before I installed my custom intake and readjusted my JB4 map to suit. Results might be a bit different next time :p. I now also shift at 6300RPM instead of redline lol.

BMW M2: 2nd gear onwards, he was behind me and I decided to give 'er and he did the same. We seemed dead even although I'm not sure if he was just pacing me. I would've thought he'd try to slingshot around me since it was a 2-lane road each way and there was space though, so who knows.

Focus ST (unknown mods): walked away from him from 30-100ish

Multiple WRX/STis, no contest unless from a dig. They're slow lol.

Evo X: see above.

FBO E46 M3, highway pulls from 50-160ish, pulled on him throughout the whole ordeal, ended up about 1 car ahead by the end.

I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting, will add when I remember.

Also I'll be taking my car to the track on Sunday, will post some more results from the twisties and maybe some video footage :cool:

My car is 100% stock:

Ecoboost Mustang 2016/17 (it looked stock): 55 - 110 or so - dead heat but he was starting to pull on me; hit traffic.

2015 Wipple supercharged, 700+ WHP 5.0 Mustang: bunch of back road driving together. He couldn't shake me on a twisty road but of course just fucked off on the straights.

2018 STi (stock): ran from a roll in second up to around the top of 4th gear for my car; he pulled me the whole way by about 4 cars by the end.

2017 GTI DSG (intake + axle back exhaust): from a stop I had no chance, from a roll in second I had a very slight edge. Had him by a car or two to 125.

2016 Focus RS; no chance. He says the car is stock other than the tires but he pulled me so hard I thought my car was broken or something.

20XX Fiat 500 Abarth (stock): He could hang with me through first and second but after that the N starts to pull ahead pretty steadily.

Some kind of newer Lexus 4-door blew my doors off earlier today getting on the highway. Turned N mode off after she passed me because I probably looked retarded making all that noise and getting walked, silently, by a Lexus. I was at WOT and the girl driving the Lexus was on the phone, not even paying me any attention as she passed me on the right. Embarrassing.

2018 Type R (stock): Killed me from every speed and even ran away from me on a back road. That thing is a fucking rocket ship.

Our cars are weak in a straight line, period. That being said, not even that mighty Focus RS could hang with me on the Back of the Dragon up in VA. The Whipple mustang nearly binned it trying to get away from me; that video will go up on my YouTube channel over the weekend.

The only car that has outrun me on a back road was that Type R. The driver was very skilled and I actually ran the Pirellis on my car to their breaking point a few times and he was still carrying more speed on corner entry, mid-corner, and came out of the corners harder. We switched cars and the result was the same, I left him behind when he was in my car.

I plan on selling the N next year to get a Type R. It's the perfect car for the street.

Nice list there! I'm a little surprised the STI pulled that much but I guess I shouldn't be, they are fast! I almost bought a type R but I just can't drive it as a daily with the extreme styling. I like but as a daily it's a bit much.

I believe a stock focus RS would walk on a N. Don't know the exact how but I know it's about 350hp. Around the track would be interesting tho.

Thanks for sharing all the runs let's keep them coming!

Stock 2018 Focus RS: from a dig he had me (as expected) by a car or so up until 3rd gear, then I pulled on him

Stock Golf R 6MT: same as above

Stock Type R: highway pulls from 40-120, this is where I learned that this car needs to be short shifted. Pulled hard on him from 4500RPM-6000RPM, at which point he started to reel me back in since I was initially shifting at redline and the N falls on its face above 6k RPM with the stock turbo. We'd both change gears and the cycle would repeat. I ended up ahead of him by maybe a fender. Keep in mind this was before I installed my custom intake and readjusted my JB4 map to suit. Results might be a bit different next time :p. I now also shift at 6300RPM instead of redline lol.

BMW M2: 2nd gear onwards, he was behind me and I decided to give 'er and he did the same. We seemed dead even although I'm not sure if he was just pacing me. I would've thought he'd try to slingshot around me since it was a 2-lane road each way and there was space though, so who knows.

Focus ST (unknown mods): walked away from him from 30-100ish

Multiple WRX/STis, no contest unless from a dig. They're slow lol.

Evo X: see above.

FBO E46 M3, highway pulls from 50-160ish, pulled on him throughout the whole ordeal, ended up about 1 car ahead by the end.

I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting, will add when I remember.

Also I'll be taking my car to the track on Sunday, will post some more results from the twisties and maybe some video footage :cool:

Another awesome list! Just to be clear you were stock against the type R?

Any mods at the point you went against an STI? everyone saying they will gap the N.

You pretty much confirmed what I suspected about shifting early. The N really does die off quickly after 6k. I'll def try shifting at 6k now instead of redline.

Look at any VN or i30N dyno graph and you can clearly see the optimal shift point is 6000 RPM.

One of my goals is to reduce the dropoff and keep it nearly flat from 6000 to 6600. It’s very easy to feel the soft RPM limiter engage at 6600.

If you time your shifts right, you can clip them off right at 6600 without shift pops and without enaging the soft RPM limiter. You’ll know you’re there when the full LED bar flashes.

From my impromptu 100-200 kph run the other week (potato pic from crappy dark video taken with one hand while still guiding the wheel):
FCFEB6A3-48DC-4269-8078-9A004B2FC41D.jpeg

On most of the 100-200 kph runs I’ve seen, drivers start well under 100 and use momentum to reduce their times. To me that's cheating. I started by holding light throttle in 4th to maintain at 97-98, then downshifted to third and simultaneously punched the throttle to the floor.

Just under 16s by my estimation (~15.8s), but of course using the factory speedometer means the actual speeds were lower. Need to enable GPS on TqP and try using that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1FastStagea
Another awesome list! Just to be clear you were stock against the type R?

Any mods at the point you went against an STI? everyone saying they will gap the N.

You pretty much confirmed what I suspected about shifting early. The N really does die off quickly after 6k. I'll def try shifting at 6k now instead of redline.

Not stock, intake, catless 3.5" dp, 3" midpipe and JB4 with custom map 6. Stock you have no chance against half the cars on my list lol. Regarding the STI, stock for stock they have a slight advantage, I wouldn't say it "gaps" the N, but it would pull ahead a bit at top end assuming a rolling start.