• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Suspension and Chassis Steering Rack Rattle

gazoo

Nov 6, 2021
South Australia
Hi,

I thought I'd post my experience with a very unusual problem.

Note: I'm very intolerant of rattles in vehicles. Also I had checked all of the normal problem rattles that have been noted on forums.

This rattle was road surface/speed induced. I would get the rattle when I was travelling on stone-chip surface bitumen - NOT on smooth hot/rolled bitumen. The intensity of the rattle would increase as the speed increased, but the volume (how loud it was) did not change. Some people, like my wife did not notice the rattle, and did not care.

During my first 8 weeks of driving my new face-lift i30N, I had a persistent rattle that sounded like it was coming from the dash. I took the car into the dealership for a check and they did some diagnosis and thought they found the problem and tied up some loose wires.

Well after re-driving the rattle was still very audible. I took the car back to the dealership and told them the rattle was still there, and that I wanted it fixed.

Well after 8 weeks, and much test driving, removing the dash - YES the whole dash they traced the rattle to the steering rack. I could not believe that the rattle that was audible from inside the car - behind the upper dash - was coming from the steering rack.

It took some time to get the replacement part from Hyundai - AUD$11.5k for the new steering rack.

After 3 months of being in the dealership - the car was ready for me to pick up. I immediately went for a drive down a road that induced the rattle - and "peace" no rattle.

I'm passing this information on, just in case you are chasing a rattle that you can not seem to find.

Hope you find this useful.

Cheers

Interesting. I’ve had some ‘creaks’ recently coming from what I thought was the sound generator. On close inspection this morning, it’s the steering rack. So just at low speed when parking, it creaks slightly. It’s coming from the part you can see exposed just above the pedals. I’ve put some WD40 on it so hopefully that sorts it.

I was ready to rip the sound generator out so that’s saved me that hassle! And for nothing.

Im glad you got your issues sorted.

Reactions: gazoo
One thing that will help is the installation of ridged collars.

One thing that will help is the installation of ridged collars.

Interesting upgrade. Perhaps they fit the i30n, or there is a kit available. Also I'm wondering at what KM/mileage this upgrade would be required. I've only just passed 8k and she still feels a tight as a drum.

Cheers

I've just booked my car into Hyundai for them to have a proper look and see if there's anything underlying. The WD40 hasn't really done anything but I'll buy some silicone grease and give that a blast.

Earliest date to look at the car is the 23rd May but that's just indicative of the world we live in right now.

Interesting upgrade. Perhaps they fit the i30n, or there is a kit available. Also I'm wondering at what KM/mileage this upgrade would be required. I've only just passed 8k and she still feels a tight as a drum.

Cheers
Most of the noise is from the movement between the subframe and chassis. Even at the factory they can’t tighten the mating points of the chassis and subframe enough to take out play or movement.

The chassis and subframe are modular and even in new condition the factory over-bores the chassis holes for quicker installation. This over-boring permits movement between the subframe and the chassis.

Cornering force and rough pavement can actually cause small changes in alignment between the two and make the chassis feel loose.

The Rigid Collars take up the additional space of the over-bored attachment holes, between the chassis and subframe. On older cars they can also help to realign both to original specifications, then maintain proper alignment between them.

This giving a solid connection and feel between the two.

There is a noticeable difference after their installation on both old or new automobiles.👍🇺🇸

Reactions: gazoo