• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Speed Limit warnings - traffic signs

woodbar

Nthusiast
Dec 17, 2020
Somerset, UK
I am probably confused BUT my 22 Kona N which I bought 5 weeks ago I thought would chime when I exceeded the speed limit it recognised from a road sign?

I did update the maps etc using the "Navigation updater" a couple of weeks ago and the only thing I get when overspeed now is a small orange border around the speed limit sign display? Is that it?

It seems the GEN-5W manual on the web covers everything that MIGHT be fitted to a whole range of models and is not specific to the Kona N? There are numerous things that are missing from my menus such as automatic varying the speed to the current limit etc. Just a shame they did not print a specific version and include it with the car!

I may just have menus and settings overload as I bought my wife a Mazda CX30 2 weeks ago and the menus and settings on that are even more confusing and I have been driving and trying to set that up suitably as well - that does chime on overspeed, at a selectable excess, but the chimes just go on and on and on until you reduce your speed instead of timing out like they have on our previous vehicles.

It seems manufacturers are adding more and more technology and settings BUT you still can't select your specific requirements?

woodbar

Nthusiast
Dec 17, 2020
Somerset, UK
OK, thanks for that, I think I am confused as it seems it IS the Mazda that flashes orange around the speed limit traffic sign logo and also chimes - incessantly so I have turned that off! I also found it also marks a red line at the TS speed on the speedometer display as well (excellent) and if you have the Limiter engaged at a different setting (a green line on the speedo) you can reset the limiter to the new TS just by pressing the Reset button on the steering wheel. Even better, if you have set the TSR warning offset to +3mph then when you pass a new TS the new limit icon will be displayed both in the HUD and the cluster including a legend of "Res" underneath to remind you to press the Reset button to engage the new limit to which it adds the 3mph. Difficult to describe but well thought out and very useful.

Anyway, enough of that, this is about N cars!

That's a result of reading 2 different manuals for two makes of car with completely different GUI and settings! Trouble is the CX-30 is for my wife, who is a technophobe, and will/can not read a manual - so it is either try any button until the required result is obtained or ask me!

It does seem very much a missed opportunity by Hyundai to not have the facility of a visual or audible warning of speed in excess of the TS UNLESS there is a camera? Especially in view of the legislation regarding enforced TSR recognition and compliance in new car models and also existing models manufactured from 2024 onwards - and as you are no doubt aware it is exceedingly easy to be going a little too fast without noticing in the N models! Disappointing.

Reactions: NCart

Cholmondeley-Biscuitt

Nthusiast
Feb 8, 2022
Dunfermline, Scotland
Is it not part of the Driving Convenience sub-menu, ie the Speed Limit Warning? I'm off up to Gleneagles tomorrow, so I'll take a run in Normal/Eco modes and make some 'good progress' to see if the car tells me off ... ;)

IMG_006620.JPGI

woodbar

Nthusiast
Dec 17, 2020
Somerset, UK
Is it not part of the Driving Convenience sub-menu
Yes, sort of🤔

The only thing it seems to do is actually display the speed limit sign in the HUD, cluster and map screen BUT does not advise if you are travelling faster by changing colour, flashing or chiming?

More like "information" than "warning" to me!