• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Speed Limit on Dash

Who! Me.

Apr 4, 2018
Belfast
Can I ask a noob question how did you get to the Camera > Special Function >SLIF Option was it under the main function or obd function, on the app what did you press on to bring you to the Camera function. I will obviously ask nicely at Hyundai to do this for me free of copurse as I should have this function as if you have lane assist and emergency front impact braking then this same camera pickups the speed sinage be it tempory or permanent, my manual also states it is available went down to the car and guess what it is not available to select, Feckers. If Hyuandai garage refuse to do it or say it is not available then i'll buy the THINKDIAG though it will only be a 1 hit pony will use it for nothing else except to enable the SLIF function absolute madness.

Jajodu

Nov 11, 2018
Bishops Stortford
Can I ask a noob question how did you get to the Camera > Special Function >SLIF Option was it under the main function or obd function, on the app what did you press on to bring you to the Camera function. I will obviously ask nicely at Hyundai to do this for me free of copurse as I should have this function as if you have lane assist and emergency front impact braking then this same camera pickups the speed sinage be it tempory or permanent, my manual also states it is available went down to the car and guess what it is not available to select, Feckers. If Hyuandai garage refuse to do it or say it is not available then i'll buy the THINKDIAG though it will only be a 1 hit pony will use it for nothing else except to enable the SLIF function absolute madness.
Look at post #7

Who! Me.

Apr 4, 2018
Belfast
Contacted the Hyundai that performs my servicing, the service desk told me my car definitely does not have that feature as if it was available I should be able to activate myself under user settings I explained I have read other I30 N cars owners got theirs activated and the reply was not all cars are the very same which I replied yes they are if we are referring to the I I30N they most definitely are the exact clone of each other. Anyway she said they could have a look and could not promise anything but would cost me £95 for the technician s time.

So I asked for her name then told her I will contact Hyundai UK customer services which are looking into this for me to have the work done free of charge will save £71 buying a device I will use only once as I believe this OBD device needs a yearly subscription if it could be used for lifetime then it would be worthwhile to have. So if Hyundai state sorry can not be done or there us indeed a charge I take it I will be forced to DIY it myself when you replied and stated look at post 7 when you connect that OBD thinkdaig it just pops open at that feature without having to press any other menu settings to get to that specific menu screen thats what I am asking I doubt it just pops open at that very item specific menu screen anyway ill figure it out myself no doubt.

Last edited:

speedking

Jan 20, 2018
Warrington, UK
the reply was not all cars are the very same which I replied yes they are if we are referring to the I I30N they most definitely are the exact clone of each other.
I'm not so sure about that. For SLIF to be determined the software has to be able to interrogate the camera images and spot a speed limit sign and then determine what that numerical value is. That software can easily be different between vehicles/regions. Then the dash has to be able to display the symbol with the relevant number in it. Again software is required, but also the hardware to have that area of the dash accessible to display the image.

When I bought my car the feature was listed in the handbook. I don't believe that my dash has the facility to display a speed limit icon.

PS I'm a bit confused by IGotPinkAcidBootsOn saying it converts kmh to mph. Is that correct? How would it know? Unless looking at GPS and comparing to the distance units used in that country. Seems much more likely to just recognise a sign and replicate it on the dashboard.

Don't forget about other features like speed limiting (similar to cruise), panoramic roof, metal footrest, etc. which are available in some markets, but not the UK.

Who! Me.

Apr 4, 2018
Belfast
All I know is people on this forum had theirs activated if you have lane assist and front impact awareness then you have the front facing camera as others did not have that feature until it was activated by way of connecting the OBD port and having a tinker to make that feature available to the end user. It seems to be contradictory on here as you read on this thread it just has to be activated then others say nope no such feature. There can't be that much of a difference to the hardware used on the front window sensors Hyundai will not make front hardware for different I30 cars it would be simply too many variants and too costly so they make one that fits all.

I suppose it will come down to two scenarios either Hyundai will offer me the opportunity to take it to a garage and their tech guy can have a look or I'll have a look myself using the think diag. I had the Renault GT before this I30N and the Renault had that feature after all it is the same camera that warns if you deviate from the lane that detects the road speed signs. Anyway worth a punt to buy the Thinkdaig to have a go myself then I will know for sure if this feature is available or not. I really can not see it not being made available as all it has to do is to be activated as currently it is deactivated and there is room for that speed sign on the front instrument panel. Time will tell that connundrum.

Who! Me.

Apr 4, 2018
Belfast
I'm not so sure about that. For SLIF to be determined the software has to be able to interrogate the camera images and spot a speed limit sign and then determine what that numerical value is. That software can easily be different between vehicles/regions. Then the dash has to be able to display the symbol with the relevant number in it. Again software is required, but also the hardware to have that area of the dash accessible to display the image.

When I bought my car the feature was listed in the handbook. I don't believe that my dash has the facility to display a speed limit icon.

PS I'm a bit confused by IGotPinkAcidBootsOn saying it converts kmh to mph. Is that correct? How would it know? Unless looking at GPS and comparing to the distance units used in that country. Seems much more likely to just recognise a sign and replicate it on the dashboard.

Don't forget about other features like speed limiting (similar to cruise), panoramic roof, metal footrest, etc. which are available in some markets, but not the UK.
Well, result. My car is booked in for the SLIF activation on Monday 1st March they are doing it free of charge as it says in my manual that it is a feature of the car so if it is in the manual as a feature of the car then it would not be correct to expect the owner to pay for something which has already been stated on the manual Hyundai UK customer support have arranged the whole procedure. So that feature is on all Hyundai’s I30N cars but only is currently deactivated, shame really as it would be a good selling point to be able to advertise that feature, to me it is also a safety feature to always know the current speed limit as some dual carriage ways and other roads don’t correctly show the speed limit and during that course of the road can change speed one minute the spped will be 40 on other parts 50 and then 60 depending what section of the road you are driving on. So I am really pleased that after 3 years of ownership I am finally going to get the SILF finally activated though why it has taken three years is anyone’s guess, maybe I did not complain hard enough.

So your dash can display the icon it is there, only on your car it is deactivated, so this saves me buying that think @ £71 and £98 on Hyundai fees. I got the tech service receptionist to amke notes and told her the tech guy will find it under Cameras, Special function, SLIF Option.

My Renault had that feature and it is very handy why Hyundai took it upon themselves to keep it hidden I ahve no idea what they gain out of removing it from the user settings.

Very Happy

Reactions: NULLOBANDITO

Who! Me.

Apr 4, 2018
Belfast
Ok took the car to Hyundai this morning I got a cancellation the tech guy brought the tablet out and a device to connect to the obd port no where under camera special functions SILF was the option to activate this feature. He agreed they have not had this car and know little about it so I had to leave the car with them as they need to chat with Hyuandi technical. I am beginning to think my car does not have that option as the tech guy stated all functions are enabled and if it were available you would most definitely be able to access it so his conclusion was my car will not have that feature but to leave it with him and he will find out for me.

Who! Me.

Apr 4, 2018
Belfast
If anyone has any information that contradicts Hyundai technical I would be all ears as it seems these is contradictory information being given on this thread concerning the activation of the SLIF function, if you know a way round it please advise but seemingly not all I30N cars have this feature, so no point in buying that think dig as it will be useless as no matter what U di I will never be able to activate the SLIF as it is not there to be activated as my car does not have that trim level to enable that function. If anyone can contradict thus please reply hiw you were able to activate your SLIF function. Hyundau technical will phone me later to confirm one way or the other if I can activate that feature or if my car even has that hardware or software.

Who! Me.

Apr 4, 2018
Belfast
Yes I do have the performance model no heated steering wheel or heated seats I do have lane keep assist and forward braking warning. I would buy the think diag if it would work but no sense in buying that hardware if at the end if the day U will never be able to activate that feature Hyundai are investigating thus fir me. Thank you for replying. So I take it you were never able to activate that feature yourself.

Jajodu

Nov 11, 2018
Bishops Stortford
Ok took the car to Hyundai this morning I got a cancellation the tech guy brought the tablet out and a device to connect to the obd port no where under camera special functions SILF was the option to activate this feature. He agreed they have not had this car and know little about it so I had to leave the car with them as they need to chat with Hyuandi technical. I am beginning to think my car does not have that option as the tech guy stated all functions are enabled and if it were available you would most definitely be able to access it so his conclusion was my car will not have that feature but to leave it with him and he will find out for me.
What model year is your car?

Who! Me.

Apr 4, 2018
Belfast
Hello my model is the I30N Performance 2018. Just picked it up from the Hyundai garage they said no such facility to activate the SLIF as my car does not have that specification. Very disappointing indeed. Just have to come to the realisation not all I30N cars are the exact same.

_Emma

Oct 29, 2018
UK
By that you mean heated seats, steering wheel etc?
Yeah, on the original ones maybe for the first year or 18 months they were released, you had the option of the winter pack for an extra £300 or something. I can't remember the ins and outs of it, but I thought in the brochure at the time SLIF was included with that. I'll see if I can dig out the brochure

Reactions: Jajodu

Who! Me.

Apr 4, 2018
Belfast
Thank you yo all who have replied I don't have the winter pack, though what that has to do with the SLIF U dunno. Anyway looks like Hyundai are correct well just have to accept I don't have the SLIF feature. Just glad I did not go to the expense of buying the think daig as that would have been a total waste of money.

Who! Me.

Apr 4, 2018
Belfast
Is it possible to have the winter pack installed by Hyundai at an extra cost or is that only available when buying the car from the dealer from new.