• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

al_kaholik

Feb 25, 2022
uk
Hi all, looking for some pointers. I've read the thread front to back and then back again but am struggling. I'll set my stall out; I have a MY2022 Ceed and am chasing some of the similar sound issues that seem to be present in the i30; a lack of rear volume and generally terrible sound quality.

For a few months now I've been trying to make improvements, as detailed here https://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/thr...-suck-mine-does-and-here-is-a-solution.65048/, in short after discovering this thread I set about making the same improvements as the Soundupgrade. Pioneer TS-A series front and rear speakers, GM-D1004 amp and a T-Harness. Though rewarded with more volume and better quality, I got a fair amount of hiss.

I then replaced with an S1000a DSP and the hiss less audible but volume suffered despite being able to dial in a better EQ, I believe that the speakers were underpowered from the DSP alone. I also installed an underseat Pioneer sub with this which gives a good boost in bass to bring back some musical dynamics.

Step three was to install a line out converter which seemed to have things remaining static with respect to volume and hiss, finally with the amplifier installed once again, the hiss is back and very audible. Reducing the master volume in the SoundTune app reduces this but then means that the stereo is very quiet.

I have come to the conclusion that the gain multiplying effect is what is causing the hiss directly from the factory headunit (with the DSP and then again with the amp) and wondering if anyone has experienced or solved this with DIY installs in an i30 or those with an optioned SoundUpgrade have any hiss - to be honest I'd be very disappointed if that was the case.

Thoughts? Pearls of wisdom? Wasting my time?
Thanks for taking the time to read.

Al

Jajodu

Nthusiast
Nov 11, 2018
Bishops Stortford
Hi all, looking for some pointers. I've read the thread front to back and then back again but am struggling. I'll set my stall out; I have a MY2022 Ceed and am chasing some of the similar sound issues that seem to be present in the i30; a lack of rear volume and generally terrible sound quality.

For a few months now I've been trying to make improvements, as detailed here https://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/thr...-suck-mine-does-and-here-is-a-solution.65048/, in short after discovering this thread I set about making the same improvements as the Soundupgrade. Pioneer TS-A series front and rear speakers, GM-D1004 amp and a T-Harness. Though rewarded with more volume and better quality, I got a fair amount of hiss.

I then replaced with an S1000a DSP and the hiss less audible but volume suffered despite being able to dial in a better EQ, I believe that the speakers were underpowered from the DSP alone. I also installed an underseat Pioneer sub with this which gives a good boost in bass to bring back some musical dynamics.

Step three was to install a line out converter which seemed to have things remaining static with respect to volume and hiss, finally with the amplifier installed once again, the hiss is back and very audible. Reducing the master volume in the SoundTune app reduces this but then means that the stereo is very quiet.

I have come to the conclusion that the gain multiplying effect is what is causing the hiss directly from the factory headunit (with the DSP and then again with the amp) and wondering if anyone has experienced or solved this with DIY installs in an i30 or those with an optioned SoundUpgrade have any hiss - to be honest I'd be very disappointed if that was the case.

Thoughts? Pearls of wisdom? Wasting my time?
Thanks for taking the time to read.

Al
First thought is that the sound quality has been improved by updating the head unit software, have you done this? You can get the latest software by visiting update kia.com

al_kaholik

Feb 25, 2022
uk
Thanks, yes, I'm on the current software version. Its the second firmware update I've done and I can't say I've noticed a difference between the factory base or either of the updates.