• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

(Solved) Very weird audio issue

Jigbits

Feb 18, 2019
Florida
Ok so 2 days ago all of a sudden I get no audio from my radio, sat radio, bluetooth, Android Auto, or phone calls. Some of you may have seen some of the stuff I've been doing to my car and the last thing I did was install a water/meth system, which means messing around with wiring and power in the fuse box. I thought maybe I crossed a wire or blew a fuse but I noticed something strange; it started 3 days after I installed the system and there is audio coming from the infotainment system just not through some things. If I hook up my phone to Android Auto and press my assistant button she comes on over the sound system, she can hear me ask a question, and will respond through the audio system. So there's nothing wrong with the speakers and it can produce audio. I went into the system settings and went to the volume control and if I adjust the volume sliders the system will produce sound.

I have no idea what could be wrong with it. So I tried a few things and none of them have done anything:
  • Unhooked the battery for 30+ minutes
  • Reset the infotainment system in the settings
  • Reset the system to default settings
  • Checked the fuses
  • Made sure A/V was on
  • Tried switching to different audio channels (radio, bluetooth, AA, etc..)
  • Made sure volumes were up across all devices (nothing is muted)
I don't know if it's just a glitch in the system or what it could be. The only other 2 things I could think of trying are using an aux cable which I don't have or trying to re-flash the firmware but I have no idea how to do that on this car. My last Velsoter just did it through an SD card but I don't think I'll be so lucky with this one.

Anyone have any suggestions? After everything I've done the last thing I want to do is go to a dealership...

R Veloster N

Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
Isn't there a very little reset button hole in the lower far right of the infotainment system? I know there was one for the Kona. You can reboot the entire system. If so, you can use the end of a paperclip to push it and reset the system.

I don't remember for sure but you can check on its location in the owner's manual. Take a look below in this link;

https://www.f3nws.com/news/2019-hyu...w-dial-n-for-n-rburgring-roadshow-64025438b98

Zoom in, I think you can see it next to the Infinity XM/Sirius logos, just above the Passenger/Passenger AirBag/Off indicator in the above^ link

Last edited:

R Veloster N

Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
I sure will. :) Where did you run the wiring thru to mount the controller if there is one? Can you take a few photos and post them.

I'm wondering if you didn't pull one of the audio connectors loose from the head unit. Just a thought.

Jigbits

Feb 18, 2019
Florida
Maybe but it didn't start until 3 days later so I guess it could be something I loosened and finally fell out. I wish I could find a wiring diagram for the car but that might be hoping for too much. I don't have any good ones on hand so I'll get some better ones in the morning. You can see some the wiring in this picture.

IMG_20190826_182431.jpg

I didn't really have to mess with much wiring that was part of the car itself. I had to open the fuse box and stick a wire into one of the open ports. The other wires were just for the JB4, the pump, and solenoid. Maybe I should take a better look in there in the morning when I get some more pictures. There were a shit load of ground wires near where I mounted the tank.

I also grabbed an aux cord today and tried it, it doesn't play any sound either.

The most mind boggling part of this is that it CAN stream sound from my phone. It has no issue accessing my Google Assistant and using the sound system to output the sound, but no other form of input works.

Nomad17

Dec 21, 2018
USA
Probably a stupid question but does phone aux or bt to another device, besides the car, work?

Stuff like fm/xm still plays in the car right?

Jigbits

Feb 18, 2019
Florida
Probably a stupid question but does phone aux or bt to another device, besides the car, work?

Stuff like fm/xm still plays in the car right?
Nope FM and sat radio do not work. The phone doesn't seem to be the root cause mainly because the phone can still stream the assistant to the audio system. Which aside from the system sounds (beep when pressed, volume increase/decrease notification) and the assistant streamed from the phone nothing else produces sound. So the system is still capable of creating sound aka the speaks and infotainment system still technically work, just no form of input, aside from the assistant and system sounds.

It's incredibly strange and considering what works and what doesn't work leads me to believe it's more of a software issue than a hardware one.

R Veloster N

Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
@Jigbits, did you happen to push the mute button on the steering wheel? That's the volume button pushed inward, by accident?

Just checking the obvious.:) I know you said,
  • "Made sure volumes were up across all devices (nothing is muted)"

Jigbits

Feb 18, 2019
Florida
@Jigbits, did you happen to push the mute button on the steering wheel? That's the volume button pushed inward, by accident?

Just checking the obvious.:) I know you said,
  • "Made sure volumes were up across all devices (nothing is muted)"

Yep I saw that in the media manual. Went and tried it. Didn't work, it shows a little icon if it's muted. Pressed it a few times just to make sure lol

Reactions: R Veloster N

PB VN

Mar 20, 2019
El Paso
Possibly the antenna cable was pulled out from behind the unit some how that could disable the SAT and AM/FM possibly.

Jigbits

Feb 18, 2019
Florida
Possibly the antenna cable was pulled out from behind the unit some how that could disable the SAT and AM/FM possibly.
That is another possibility that I was wondering about. I remembered seeing someone around here says they have the service manual for the car. I think I found him and sent him a message to see if he could help me find some diagrams.

Jigbits

Feb 18, 2019
Florida
And just like that it was a cable that was the culprit. It was a cable that had gotten loose under the seat connected to I assume the amp(?). How it happened I'm not sure, I think I mentioned previously that I was transporting things when I noticed it, I think it may have been when I moved the seat all the way back it must have caught a wire or something. I've been incredibly busy this week so I haven't had much time to look into it again but I finally had a little time today so I started digging around inside and tugged on some wires and all of a sudden the radio turned on.

So for anyone that has a weird issue were the sound technically still works but nothing comes out of the speakers. Check the wires under the passenger seat.

Thanks to everyone that tried to help and especially for @PB VN his suggestion made me try and find where the audio cables might be plugged in so I started with the easiest to reach under the seat.