• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

So... here it is

koevasi

May 17, 2018
Seoul
I'm still running in the car but it didn't stop me from giving it some beans on some twisty roads and push it may be 70-80%.

First impressions

Torque band feels a bit flat, like I'm driving a 1.8 turbo car. Boost seems significantly reduced in 1st and 2nd gear. Torque steer isn't an issue but I'm sure with 30-50 more horsepower it would buck and weave a fair bit.
Tire grip is very good. 19 inch wheels aren't really doing the car any favors as there's too much rotating mass. The ride is livable even in N mode but damping setup seems off by a big margin. Quite a lot of nosedive under heavy breaking which I found surprising.
e-diff is very effective at quelling understeer and traction out of corners is excellent. Still don't trust that front end 100% but it would surely come with more seat time.
Steering wheel weight is ok and isn't vague off center as I expected for some reason. A tad artificial from time to time.
Brakes are very good, need better pads and braided lines though for extra bite.
Whip crack/pop/crackle is very addictive.

Want: spherical bushings, more brakes and.... a lot more power as I think the chassis can definitely handle it, probably up to 330hp without other upgrades.
A very good first (for Korea) effort by Hyundai. I wish they'd make a cup version.

Attachments

• IMG_6286.JPG
    IMG_6286.JPG
    543.3 KB · Views: 174
First oil change should be done to true full synthetic oil before the “break-in” period ends. Not sure what you have over there, but ENEOS 0W-30 should be available.

Overall, your first impressions are pretty much aligned with what I’m expecting, based on the early reviews.

Day 5 of ownership and a new set of wheels. So much better on 18 inch wheels!!

18x8.5 +43
Hankook RS4 225/40/18

Attachments

• IMG_6327.JPG
    IMG_6327.JPG
    469.1 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_6330.JPG
    IMG_6330.JPG
    440.9 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_6335.JPG
    IMG_6335.JPG
    385.3 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_6336.JPG
    IMG_6336.JPG
    361.7 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_6340.JPG
    IMG_6340.JPG
    619.4 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
WedsSport TC105N; very nice, although I’d put a 245 on to protect them from curb rash & yield more grip.

How much do they weigh with rubber mounted?

WedsSport TC105N; very nice, although I’d put a 245 on to protect them from curb rash & yield more grip.

How much do they weigh with rubber mounted?

The tire shop guys were saying depending on the tire, 245 is too much and rubs on the lower front bumper. Wanted to go with 235s but they didn't have any in stock. 225 rs4s seemed equal to the stock 235 section pirellis in width, maybe even slightly wider, at least to my eyes.

I didn't weigh the wheels but tire rack states 24lbs or 10.9kg for the 225 tires with the weight of the wheels at 7.5kg for a total of 18.4kg or 40.5lbs. I'm not sure how that compares with the stock wheel+tire combo.

Haha this car is NOT an ideal daily.
I keep forgetting I am still supposed to be running the car in, but still...

Attachments

• 6D9F798F-3CF5-4F71-9AF4-98767E65745C.jpeg
    6D9F798F-3CF5-4F71-9AF4-98767E65745C.jpeg
    538.6 KB · Views: 196
Reactions: NULLOBANDITO
Any plans to get her on a dyno after she’s broken in ? I’m curious to see what she puts down even though the numbers have been pretty consistent across the board.

Any plans to get her on a dyno after she’s broken in ? I’m curious to see what she puts down even though the numbers have been pretty consistent across the board.

not at this time as the car feels pretty slow at an indicated temp of above 30c. it definitely feels like it has 200-210whp. i had a go when it was around 26-27 and it felt much better.

not at this time as the car feels pretty slow at an indicated temp of above 30c. it definitely feels like it has 200-210whp. i had a go when it was around 26-27 and it felt much better.
So it’s probably safe to assume it has the same heat soaking issues the i30N has. I’ve seen many reviews of people saying the car will benefit greatly from a front mount. But either way that’s kind of disappointing I was hoping the car was going to put down 270s at the wheels like the i30 does.

So it’s probably safe to assume it has the same heat soaking issues the i30N has. I’ve seen many reviews of people saying the car will benefit greatly from a front mount. But either way that’s kind of disappointing I was hoping the car was going to put down 270s at the wheels like the i30 does.

That’s not good to hear then, now I’m debating to get it as it comes out this year or wait until the second or third re-release of the VN.

def needs a lot of venting to keep temps down. turbo placement is not the best and its so close to the engine. also there’s so little room in the engine bay too so mounting a larger ic is virtually impossible.

That’s not good to hear then, now I’m debating to get it as it comes out this year or wait until the second or third re-release of the VN.
Don’t let me stray you from purchasing the vehicle. Even if it’s low on power all the reviewers have said it’s great and outhadles the RS and Golf R. And that makes me excited for it even if it’s lacking in the power field.

depends on what you want to do with it i suppose? we aren’t even talking about handling at this stage and it’s the elsd and all the calibration that is the most impressive thing about this car.

i admit the engine performance is the weakest link. it still has useable midrange torque and but top end is flat and it hangs revs just like other hyundai although not as bad as a genesis 2.0t.

def needs a lot of venting to keep temps down. turbo placement is not the best and its so close to the engine. also there’s so little room in the engine bay too so mounting a larger ic is virtually impossible.
The reason the Turbos mounted so closely is to help with the efficiency. The gases have less room to move to spool the turbines. And I’m sure someone will design a compact yet efficient IC that’ll cure the heat soak issues. There’s an American manufacture that made a intercooler that sat in the stock VT Position yet flowed better than any of the huge FMIC on the market.

Reactions: Cygnus X-1