• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Should I be worried about this? White residue in exhaust tip

Dimi_dboe

Dec 10, 2019
Florida
Hello everyone I am not really that mechanically inclined but I was looking over my car as I do every day before I go to work. I noticed in the exhaust tip that there was some white specks or dots don’t know what causes them. Also should my exhaust tip look that dark?

I read online something about the engine maybe running lean but I have no error codes.

My car is VN/PP
Fuel: 93 octane since I got it
Mileage: 7k

The mods I’ve done is Velossa ram air, takeda intake, forge turbo inlet adapter.

here’s a picture for a little bit of reference. I have no idea what it is and should I be worried my pipe looks this dirty?

R Veloster N

Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
It's water condensation that has mineralized from the exhaust. Taking in considering your humidity, you'll have more condensation in the exhaust. You can see the black carbon soot at the bottom. The car is set up to run rich. Never attempt to determine the car is running lean from the exhaust outlet. The proper way it to do a spark plug chop test.

OEM ECU mapping will compensate for more than what you have installed. You're fine and have nothing to worry about. :)

Last edited:

watto33

Jan 30, 2019
Brisbane
It's water condensation that has mineralized from the exhaust. Taking in considering your humidity, you'll have more condensation in the exhaust. You can see the black carbon soot at the bottom. The car is set up to run rich. Never attempt to determine the car is running lean from the exhaust outlet. The proper way it to do a spark plug chop test.

OEM ECU mapping will compensate for more than what you have installed. You're fine and have nothing to worry about. :)
I thought this too. Until I installed the IFX intake and engine started to misfire and ping at low revs. :rolleyes:

R Veloster N

Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
I'm not so sure why it would, the ECU can easily compensate for the intake. Pinging comes from to low a fuel octane generally. Misfires come from loaded up plugs or faulty coil pack/s. Did you reinstall the OEM intake and check if there was an pre existing issue?

Also , check to make sure you don't have a vacuum hose leak or a hose that is not properly seated. :)