• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Short SHIFTER Discussion

Seai30n

Has anyone got any experiance with the Forge short shifter? And can anyone recommend somewhere that will fit it if I decide to purchase in the midlands? Ta

TarmoT

Installed my kit yesterday morning at it took me 30-minutes. It was pretty easy install and no complications at all. I will not recommend to set side to side link to the max shortest setting because 1st, 2nd and reverse will be a bit difficuilt to insert because they are not located right on left edge anymore. But short shifter can be installed to shortest setting. Difference is very big and I am very satisfied :) Can reommend

Cygnus X-1

@TarmoT
So where did you set it for the side link position? How much shorter are throws at the minimum setting?

Last edited:

R Veloster N

1/3 shorter roughly using Forge instructions.

Move your OEM shifter from first gear to neutral and a smig past it. This will give you and indication from OEM to Forge Shifter modification.

I believe it will go a bit farther in adjustment but I used the instructions Forge provided. I thought that was short enough.

I'll do a video, once I've finished a few other things.

TarmoT

Mine is very short because I moved both of adjusters as short as possible. I will try to drive around couple of days and lets if I will get used that new position of R,1st and 2nd. If it will stay to disturb me, I will adjust side shifter littlebit. But I still does not understand what is the reason of making something adjustable and ask people adjust it in half position or last 1/3. If I was Forge, I had made that adjustment slot 1/3 shorter that people have no possibility to go “not recommended” zone.

Edit: Yesterday I removed airbox and managed to get access to the nut of side shifter adjuster pin. I unscrew that nut only littlebit and moved pin just about 1mm back (it was in the shortest end of shifters adjustment range before). And after I tighten it again, 1st, 2nd and R are back on their original position ;) So - there is a possibility to adjust both Forge shifters almost to the shortest possible setting whithout without losing functionality of gear lever.

Last edited:

Cygnus X-1

Yesterday I removed airbox and managed to get access to the nut of side shifer adjuster pin. I unscrew that nut only littlebit and moved pin just about 1mm back (it was in the shortest end of shifers adjustment range before). And after I tighten it again, 1st, 2nd and R are back on their original position ;) So - there is a possibility to adjust both Forge shifters almost to the shortest possible setting whithout without losing functionality of gear lever.
Much appreciated update.

I am considering installing this but concerned about 3 questions:

1. Being a modification, would it void the warranty?
2. Any implication in terms of the car insurance? do i need to declare it?
3. When disconnecting the car battery, would it reset everything like saved radio stations?

Any advice guys , would be much appreciated!

Y0UKN0WITSCHRIS

I am considering installing this but concerned about 3 questions:

1. Being a modification, would it void the warranty?
2. Any implication in terms of the car insurance? do i need to declare it?
3. When disconnecting the car battery, would it reset everything like saved radio stations?

Any advice guys , would be much appreciated!
1. Yes if it directly causes damage to the transmissions or related parts.
2. I don’t think so, but it depends on what country you’re from
3. Yes

iiNNEX

Doesn't the N already have a reasonably short throw?

I had a Short Shift Kit on my old Type R and found it horrendous, perhaps because it was cheap but some gears were just difficult to get into.

It'd be nice to try an N with this kit to compare.

R Veloster N

The kit works extremely well and is very positive in each gear. There are no false neutrals or vague shifts.

@The Lone Wolve This is not intended to offend anyone. The following is; simply my own impression and understanding..

The Forge Shift Kit won't cause a problem with the transmission. The cable linkage is not changed, nor is the actual cable length or movement. I've installed many shift kits, from Audi's to Porsches and never had a problem.

Note; Mine is set at halfway and TamoT's is set to about as short as it can go. Neither he nor I, have had any problems with gear engagement. I can't speak for anyone else though.

Is the Forge Shift Kit something your insurer requires you to notify them of, as a modification? Here in the US, the point is moot. We are not required, to advise our insurers of such modifications.

Lastly, I've disconnected my battery and have not lost any presets with the radio or phone. Keep in mind, I have a VN not an i30N. The head units are a little different. I suggest, you inquire of another i30N owner. :)

Last edited: