• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Selling sooner than expected

BillTheButcher

Sep 9, 2019
UK
Now that lockdown is lifting, I'm going to be commuting by car for the foreseeable future (I used to go by train) so unfortunately the N will have to go. I've been offered more in PX than I owe the finance company against something more suitable for the task at hand. Nothing fun, but needs must.

Thank you all for your posts and support. This is a great forum. :)

R Veloster N

Nthusiast
Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
@BillTheButcher Don't let this make you a stranger Bill. I for one am grateful and appreciative of your presence and contributions. What ever you decide to purchase, I hope it suits your needs and please find fun in it's use.

Please come back often, tells us what you've decided to purchase and just for some friendly banter. You're always welcome my friend. I wish you all the best, in whatever you decide to do or pursue.:)

Reactions: BillTheButcher

J BOB

Nthusiast
Aug 17, 2018
wigan
Now that lockdown is lifting, I'm going to be commuting by car for the foreseeable future (I used to go by train) so unfortunately the N will have to go. I've been offered more in PX than I owe the finance company against something more suitable for the task at hand. Nothing fun, but needs must.

Thank you all for your posts and support. This is a great forum. :)
I know Your pain! I have a 57 mile round trip each day to My work and the only downside to the N is it's ludicrous thirst! I'm at 24000 miles now and My average M.P.G is 26!

Reactions: BillTheButcher

Crocoman

Nthusiast
Dec 26, 2017
Scotland
Yes good luck for the future mate.

Ive read and seen nice things about the Up GTI. You’ll certainly get more than my 23mpg with the car.

My wife (the main driver of our N) has been working from home since March and it looks like a long term proposal - in fact; they are talking about forever.

I am working from home also.......and she jokingly said about us getting rid of the car but unless we are financially struggling, this car is staying with us!!!

BillTheButcher

Sep 9, 2019
UK
On the 70-mile round trip (almost all motorway) to the VW dealership, I got 33 MPG but in traffic and around town (exactly what my commute will be), that drops to around 20.

I'd like to work from home permanently but some of what I do requires me to be on-site.

Tom Vanlimbergen

Nthusiast
Jan 19, 2018
My son has an Up Gti, tuned to 143 bhp and still does 40 mpg...
Once tuned it is rather fast to, not like the N, but he still can surprise a few posh cars at the lights 😉.
What really changed the car was when he changed the springs to Eibachs. The car, imho, needs that bit of lowering. It makes it look and drive a lot better. To finish of the sound we installed a Milltek. Not very loud (although it got louder after a while) but it gives the car a nice grunt.
I hope you ordered the Beats soundsystem to, really worth it.
All in all he invested about 1000 euro for the changes he made and that was all the car needed to make it a nice cracker.
Those cars are a bit underestimated by the big public.
Hope you enjoy yours!

BillTheButcher

Sep 9, 2019
UK
Thanks for the info, Tom. Very helpful. :)

I'm not going to tune it. I've always found that, once I start, it's impossible to stop... First, a remap and catback, then suspension, then brakes... and so on. I find it better just not to start. :D

It's a used car so I didn't get to change anything on the spec. I don't know what sound system it's got. I never listen to ICE so I don't pay much attention to infotainment. :)

Reactions: Tom Vanlimbergen

REM66

Oct 2, 2019
United Kingdom
How are you enjoying the Up GTi?

Dickie Meaden Evo magazines Porsche racing and all round track monster loved the UP GTi they had on long term test, also no surprise he was one of the flag wavers for the i30N too.

He's been in print saying many modern performance cars as simply too competent and fast to get any fun from them on the road which is why he thinks more cars like the UP GTi should be built.

pillred

Oct 20, 2019
bristol
I know Your pain! I have a 57 mile round trip each day to My work and the only downside to the N is it's ludicrous thirst! I'm at 24000 miles now and My average M.P.G is 26!
Is that through mostly built up areas where you spend a lot of time stuck in traffic? I ask because on a decent run like that I would average at least 35 mpg and have seen nearer 40 on a motorway plus A road trip of 70 miles. My current long term average is 33.8 over the last 1000 miles. do you regularly reset your long term average because if you don't the more miles you do the less it changes, after 24,000 miles even if you drove at 40 mph in 6th for a hundred miles your average would barely change I reset mine every couple of months. I did find during the winter it was quite a bit thirstier though.

Last edited:

BillTheButcher

Sep 9, 2019
UK
How are you enjoying the Up GTi?

Dickie Meaden Evo magazines Porsche racing and all round track monster loved the UP GTi they had on long term test, also no surprise he was one of the flag wavers for the i30N too.

He's been in print saying many modern performance cars as simply too competent and fast to get any fun from them on the road which is why he thinks more cars like the UP GTi should be built.
I've only done a few miles in it since I got it last week. So far it seems like a very cool little car with a lot to like about it. I'll know more once I've done some proper miles in it but it feels very agile and faster than I was expecting (it's very biased towards mid-range torque). Cabin space is the biggest surprise so far. With the seat on its lowest setting, I've got more headroom than I had in the N; I wasn't expecting that. Leg room up front is also very good. Back seats are useable. Boot not so much. :D

Manoeuvrability is as good as you'd expect and it's ridiculously easy to park.

Is that through mostly built up areas where you spend a lot of time stuck in traffic? I ask because on a decent run like that I would average at least 35 mpg and have seen nearer 40 on a motorway plus A road trip of 70 miles. My current long term average is 33.8 over the last 1000 miles. do you regularly reset your long term average because if you don't the more miles you do the less it changes, after 24,000 miles even if you drove at 40 mph in 6th for a hundred miles your average would barely change I reset mine every couple of months. I did find during the winter it was quite a bit thirstier though.
As I said above, I averaged 33 MPG on the 70-mile round trip to the dealership (average was reset before I left because I was curious). But I knew that, for the next six months at least, I'd be commuting into and out of a city in heavy traffic.

pillred

Oct 20, 2019
bristol
I've only done a few miles in it since I got it last week. So far it seems like a very cool little car with a lot to like about it. I'll know more once I've done some proper miles in it but it feels very agile and faster than I was expecting (it's very biased towards mid-range torque). Cabin space is the biggest surprise so far. With the seat on its lowest setting, I've got more headroom than I had in the N; I wasn't expecting that. Leg room up front is also very good. Back seats are useable. Boot not so much. :D

Manoeuvrability is as good as you'd expect and it's ridiculously easy to park.

As I said above, I averaged 33 MPG on the 70-mile round trip to the dealership (average was reset before I left because I was curious). But I knew that, for the next six months at least, I'd be commuting into and out of a city in heavy traffic.
Without wanting to teach granny how to suck eggs there are two fuel consumption screens the first one is the trip average for that day which automatically resets after a certain time, the other won't change until you reset it yourself, so if you want to know what your average is for a certain trip you can just look at the first screen, apologies if you already knew this.

BillTheButcher

Sep 9, 2019
UK
Without wanting to teach granny how to suck eggs there are two fuel consumption screens the first one is the trip average for that day which automatically resets after a certain time, the other won't change until you reset it yourself, so if you want to know what your average is for a certain trip you can just look at the first screen, apologies if you already knew this.
I did know that but no apology necessary. 👍

REM66

Oct 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Enjoy your new car.

I've always found that you can have fun in pretty much any motor :)
I take it you've not owned a Golf R then? ;)

Only time I found it remotely fun was in the snow with all the electronics turned off. Fast, all weather point to point car but after you get past the quick off the line acceleration there's not much else to it which is why I traded mine at 3 years old and bought my i30N :cool:

BillTheButcher

Sep 9, 2019
UK
I take it you've not owned a Golf R then? ;)

Only time I found it remotely fun was in the snow with all the electronics turned off. Fast, all weather point to point car but after you get past the quick off the line acceleration there's not much else to it which is why I traded mine at 3 years old and bought my i30N :cool:
I've had two Golf Rs. First a hatchback and then an estate. Very quick, capable and practical but, looking back at my time with them, not that memorable.