• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Run in period

Way to go Jay!!:) It's hard to resist isn't it?:cool:
Took the wife to Montabaur to go shopping on Saturday and got her (The Car) up to 252 Kph. It took a while but I wanted to see what she could do and the Autobahn was pretty open on the 45. I don't drive this car as hard as I should but she has her moments. Natalie wasn't too happy though.

I know the manual says to keep car under 3000rpm for first 1000km.
Anyone know how critical this is to performance and long term on car.
I’m in the market for one of theses cars and starting to see a few demo and low km ones come up at dealers.
But I wonder how many have really had proper run in. Or if they been thrashed from new. Do I believe what the dealer says?
If the demo one I drove is anything to go by I wouldn’t buy one. The dealer thrashed it before I got behind the wheel, and it would have been rude for me not to do the same. At least he let it warm up before sprinting to 140km in a 50km zone :eek:
It had under 100km on the odometer.
Then he wanted me to pay full price for the demo one. So I bought a new one somewhere else.

Yeah demonstrators are thrashed to fook, the dealerships don't care.

Before I did the deal on my fastback N I asked for a test drive, at the time they didn't have a demo i30n so they took the wraps of a brand new i30n hatchback they had around the back, I said to the guy on the test drive "is it OK to boot it?" He said "sure do whatever you want to it!"

If a dealer tells you a demonstrator has been well cared for, take it as BS!

That's what's nice about the VN/PP. They come in and go out too fast. They almost didn't let me drive mine before I purchased it.:)

Mine had 1 mile on it. I gave the salesman and the manager a ride when I bought it. Nothing but smiles!;) They both owe me a tank full of gas, I haven't collected on either.

Sounds like two tanks of VP Racing Fuel to me!!!!!!!:p

Hi Guys, I am due to collect my new Performance Blue i30n next week, I have been doing some research but can't seem to find any official running in period. Any advice/tips etc? Cheers

Handbook tells you to not go beyond 3k rpm for the first 1000km / 600 miles. If you did not find that phrase, you did not do any proper research ;)

I think I'd break it in exactly the way I was going to normally drive it. If there is problem, it's Hyundai's not yours.:)

I'd give it 500 miles with varied throttle application, nearing full throttle, without sustained WOT. After that, drive it. You want to heat cycle the motor, to help the rings seat tightly, quickly and correctly. Personally, I wouldn't baby the car around.;)

Last edited:
You want the oil at operating temp as much as possible. Short trips or excessive idling and constant rpm's for extended periods should be avoided. Don't lug the engine under 2000 rpm or bounce off the limiter. Take it easy the last few minutes before you shut it down. Basically take it easy till oil reaches temp then occasionally work the engine out 3000-5500 rpm while being easy on the clutch and brakes. Ring sealing can be done while decelerating in gear as well.

Last edited:
I got mine to a dual carriageway as soon as I could. There I did burst with WOT from 1500 rpm to 4500 rpm. That for 100km. Your pistonrings only have a small time window to get seated properly, after the first 100km there isn't a lot you can do anymore. The WOT burst force them to the outside.
Result: 274.9 hp and 398 Nm on 95 ron.

I got mine to a dual carriageway as soon as I could. There I did burst with WOT from 1500 rpm to 4500 rpm. That for 100km. Your pistonrings only have a small time window to get seated properly, after the first 100km there isn't a lot you can do anymore. The WOT burst force them to the outside.
Result: 274.9 hp and 398 Nm on 95 ron.

Yep, and release the throttle and engine break back down to 2000rpm and repeat.

Someone in here did an oil analysis after ~2700 miles. The oil report was posted on these forums.

Summary:

1. Lots of Iron and copper. Consistent with running in. Good to get rid of it sooner than later.

2. Oil was more like 5w20 than 5w30. So either it is full of thin running in oil or it degraded quickly.

3. Loads of molly in it - which is good especially for running in.

I grabbed the original pdf. Below is a screen shot.

5B772737-0742-4060-B62F-784FEDB7A2C7.png

Yep, and release the throttle and engine break back down to 2000rpm and repeat.
I collected mine today and have been going from 1500 to 4-4.5k and letting the engine brake to bed it in. 100 miles in so far

Reactions: Davo01