• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Run in first 1000km

I know the manual says to keep car under 3000rpm for first 1000km.
Anyone know how critical this is to performance and long term on car.
I’m in the market for one of theses cars and starting to see a few demo and low km ones come up at dealers.
But I wonder how many have really had proper run in. Or if they been thrashed from new. Do I believe what the dealer says?

GazmaN

Two schools of thought on this, mate. Some abide by the factory recommendation, others give it a flogging from the get-go. Have a play with the seach function and especially check out the science of the latter from the posts of @Cygnus X-1

Food for thought, but you will need to make your own decision ultimately.

My rule of thumb...if it's a performance car and it has been a demo, don't trust it. I thrashed the one I test drove and it only had 1,200km on it. The car I bought had 5km on it when I picked it up. Yeah, I paid a little more for it and babied it for the first 1,500km. To me it was worth it because I will put 200,000km on it before I sell it. The Germans always say as long as the warranty is good don't worry but I like knowing I was the first one to pop my car's cherry.;)

R Veloster N

Drive it like you will normally. Don't baby the N. Heat cycling the engine, is good for it. Just make sure you give it ample time to cool down between harder runs. You have a warranty that will replace anything, including the engine. If it's going to go "POP", I'd personally want it to do so sooner, than later.;) As long as you are on warranty, it's on them.

Additionally, I found with the wifes 1.6 L4 engine, flogging it made a world of difference. Minimal oil/fuel dilution, enhanced fuel economy and in the longer run extended engine life as well.

I don't have very many miles on the N at the moment as it's a second car. I've run the engine hard and let it cool down. So far so good.

As GazmaN said, "ultimately it's your decision.":)

Last edited:
I know the manual says to keep car under 3000rpm for first 1000km.
Anyone know how critical this is to performance and long term on car.
I’m in the market for one of theses cars and starting to see a few demo and low km ones come up at dealers.
But I wonder how many have really had proper run in. Or if they been thrashed from new. Do I believe what the dealer says?
If the demo one I drove is anything to go by I wouldn’t buy one. The dealer thrashed it before I got behind the wheel, and it would have been rude for me not to do the same. At least he let it warm up before sprinting to 140km in a 50km zone :eek:
It had under 100km on the odometer.
Then he wanted me to pay full price for the demo one. So I bought a new one somewhere else.

Yeah demonstrators are thrashed to fook, the dealerships don't care.

Before I did the deal on my fastback N I asked for a test drive, at the time they didn't have a demo i30n so they took the wraps of a brand new i30n hatchback they had around the back, I said to the guy on the test drive "is it OK to boot it?" He said "sure do whatever you want to it!"

If a dealer tells you a demonstrator has been well cared for, take it as BS!

R Veloster N

That's what's nice about the VN/PP. They come in and go out too fast. They almost didn't let me drive mine before I purchased it.:)

Mine had 1 mile on it. I gave the salesman and the manager a ride when I bought it. Nothing but smiles!;) They both owe me a tank full of gas, I haven't collected on either.

Sounds like two tanks of VP Racing Fuel to me!!!!!!!:p