• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

i30 N Rough miss on cold start

portfox

Nov 18, 2020
Queensland
Hi, first post on the forum. I had a quick search for my question but couldn't find anything.
I just purchased a demo I30 N line with only 800k's on it, wow what a great little car. Anyway, on cold start it has a rough or miss fire, its not bad and I was going to bring it to the attention on its first service. After the minute or so and it returns to normal idling its fine, no miss fire or rough idle. So i'm thinking it maybe running rich on that first 1500k's before the first service?

Thanks in advance.

BNEJRN

Feb 25, 2020
Brisbane, Queensland
Hi, first post on the forum. I had a quick search for my question but couldn't find anything.
I just purchased a demo I30 N line with only 800k's on it, wow what a great little car. Anyway, on cold start it has a rough or miss fire, its not bad and I was going to bring it to the attention on its first service. After the minute or so and it returns to normal idling its fine, no miss fire or rough idle. So i'm thinking it maybe running rich on that first 1500k's before the first service?

Thanks in advance.
My i30N is a bit 'lumpy' from cold for a hundred metres or so down the road. Also a very occasional miss fire on start up. The lumpiness I put down to warming up so have not been concerned about it. But worth mentioning at your first service to be sure.

Last edited:

Tom Vanlimbergen

Jan 19, 2018
I think you're experiencing the normal startup for a i30n.
Mine is from april 2018, has 70k on the clock and every start (when cold) is lumpy and shaky.
After a minute or so the idle comes down and things get better.
The first couple of meters you drive it aren't the nicest either, but after that everything is fine.
Just takes some time to get used to but I don't think you need to worry.

R Veloster N

Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
Post a video of the cold start, so we can actually hear and see the possible issue. This will help immensely. Rather not guess at a possible issue. I have both motors; one in a 2020 Kia Soul GT-Line and the other in our VN. With the 1.6T Gamma II engine in the Kia Soul GT-Line, we have no miss on cold start up.

Being the N-Line is a 1.6T Gamma II and not a 2.0T Theta II engine, it maybe something entirely different. The 1.6T has its own issues and quirks. Some are very simply to remedy, some have to be analyzed and fixed by the dealership. 1.6T's are famous for crankshaft sensor issues, which will cause a cold start miss. It's a simply fix but needs to be specifically identified. Crank sensor won't throw a trouble code in the ECU either, not unless it's failing. :)

Last edited:

portfox

Nov 18, 2020
Queensland
Thanks for the replies guys, I can't get the video to show it properly. I have the first service on friday and I'll mention it to the service center to see what they say. I'll report back with further info.

Thanks again

pillred

Oct 20, 2019
bristol
I think you're experiencing the normal startup for a i30n.
Mine is from april 2018, has 70k on the clock and every start (when cold) is lumpy and shaky.
After a minute or so the idle comes down and things get better.
The first couple of meters you drive it aren't the nicest either, but after that everything is fine.
Just takes some time to get used to but I don't think you need to worry.
70k!!! in less than two years what have you got a 80 mile commute? mine is the same age and has done 4,700miles. or is that Kilometres (even that's a lot)

Tom Vanlimbergen

Jan 19, 2018
70k!!! in less than two years what have you got a 80 mile commute? mine is the same age and has done 4,700miles. or is that Kilometres (even that's a lot)
I think you need to recaculate: car is from april 2018, so is now two years and six months old.
Indeed, it is in km's.
That car is so nice to drive, so it would be a shame not to 😁.
I buy a new car every four years and than they all have a little more than 100k km's.

pillred

Oct 20, 2019
bristol
I'm just not used to private cars being driven as much, my brother does about 50,000 miles (80,000km) a year but that's for his work your mileage is at least twice that of a private driver here in the UK, do you have trouble selling your cars with such high mileage 100,000km is quite a lot for a 4 year old car, at least we now know the engine in our own cars will last a nice long time. I doubt I would do your average mileage for a year in 4 years, you certainly get your use out of your cars, anyone buying my car after me must look at the distance travelled and think it's so low it must be fake. Does it still run well and have you had to have the clutch or any other parts replaced?

Last edited:

PeterP

Nov 2, 2018
Slovenia
I think you need to recaculate: car is from april 2018, so is now two years and six months old.
Indeed, it is in km's.
That car is so nice to drive, so it would be a shame not to 😁.
I buy a new car every four years and than they all have a little more than 100k km's.
Mine is April 2k18 aswell but it has 38.5k kms 😆 👍 Damn you drive alot :D

portfox

Nov 18, 2020
Queensland
Went in for its first service, spoke to the tech, he said it was normal to carry on a bit while in that 'choke' stage of being cold. Good to know and not be concerned that it's an issue.

Tom Vanlimbergen

Jan 19, 2018
No, don't have many problems selling my cars.
As long as I can show the buyer that the car is maintained as is should it is ok.
There once was an item on top gear where they dismantled cars of the same age, one with high(ish) mileage, one with low mileage. Turned out the one with the higher mileage was the best one to buy. More mileage means longer drives, less cold starts, less wear (according to Top Gear).
Must be that many of the buyers of my cars have seen that. 😁
I must say that I allways have one year factory warranty on the car when I sell it. That also reasures the buyer.