• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Road & Track: GTI vs. Type R vs. Veloster N

GazmaN

Yea, the R&T reviews are well done and do a good job of emphasizing price points during their reviews.
My annoyance are with those reviews who don't.

Oddly enough I haven't seen a thorough comparison between the 2013-2016 BK2 Genesis Coupe and the new N's.
That would be an interesting comparison to see, despite them being out of production now, just to see how much Hyundai has improved considering they were sold at the same price point.
Until I read this I had not even heard of the BK2 Genesis Coupe (I have since educated myself). Given the number of first gen 86/BRZs you see on the roads over here I reckon Hyundai did themselves a disservice not importing them into Australia. Not a bad looking car, and superior grunt compared to the aforementioned offerings which are the only small RWD vehicles that have been available here the last decade...

Until I read this I had not even heard of the BK2 Genesis Coupe (I have since educated myself). Given the number of first gen 86/BRZs you see on the roads over here I reckon Hyundai did themselves a disservice not importing them into Australia. Not a bad looking car, and superior grunt compared to the aforementioned offerings which are the only small RWD vehicles that have been available here the last decade...
Yes! They were not the best sports cars there but similar to the N, for the price they were great. Same price point as the current N's came with either a 275 BHP 2.0T or a 350 bhp 3.8 NA GDi V6. Both RWD and top level trims had leather seats and Brembos.

The 2.0t version is the same basic engine as in our N (but no GDi and other stuff). I eventually turned mine into a stage 2 and I honestly missed that car.

It was Hyundai's first honest effort into the enthusiast segment (if you discount the lacklustre Tiburon) so you would think a head-to-head comparison would be inevitable, to see how much has improved. The Genesis coupe while fun, understeered quite a bit at the limits even for a RWD car.

And yes - Hyundai did a very poor job marketing that car as most people don't even know it exists.

This pic below was mine.
IMG_0839.JPG

The Audi S3 is an overall better car, keyword "overall". There is a clear difference in fit and finish when compared to the VN, and the interiors aren't comparable. The acceleration of the S3 is much faster from a standstill. It has a 0-60 time of 4.4secs, stock, so it's not even close in a drag. The AWD and DCT I'm sure playing a big part in that. From a roll, it's a bit more similar with the S3 feeling slightly faster.

In regards to cornering, the S3 is no-slouch but I feel the VN is slightly better in this regard even with the AWD of the S3. The steering feel in the S3 is good, but you feel more connected to the road in the VN.

The S3 also allows you to customize individual aspects of the car but there's a bigger difference between min and max settings in the VN, so I appreciate that in the VN. But the suspension in the S3, in comfort mode, is a bit more refined and better suited for daily drivng

So while the S3 is faster, the VN is twice as fun. The S3 delivers its speed very clinically and requires high speeds to start being fun whereas the VN is very enjoyable at all speeds.

So as I said earlier, the S3 is a better overall car, and it should be considering it's quite a bit more expensive (almost $15k more in my area). But the VN makes me smile more. And is the better driver's car of the 2.

If I had to choose one for the rest of my life... Eh I'm undecided. Probably VN.

TarmoT

Don´t worry about those stupid "comparison tests", most of people will buy the best car they can get for their budget. Type R is better hot hatch if you have that extra money, if not Veloster N is better - simple as that ;)
The most stupid comparison test I have ever seen (lets take apple, orange and potato and try to find out which one is the best for making juice ):
I would like to give a Pulitzer Price for that guy :D

Last edited:

1FastStagea

Uh, oh... That’s the guy who reviewed @1FastStagea’s VN vs. his review of the RS.
I have to agree with @TarmoT though, it was a pretty dumb comparison to be honest. He completely glosses over the fact that neither of those cars are the N's direct competitors and is comparing them as if they are (which is both flattering and unfair to the VN at the same time). He's a nice guy so I figured I'd help him out with providing a car but he's not very knowledgeable with the technical side of things...

Although I'm thinking that might have just been a cheap shot directed at me :rolleyes: lmao.

I saw that review. One of his comments in the comment section almost made me lose my s***. "He said Hyundai shouldn't have made a car that confuses people." I think that was his way of addressing the people who say it's not really a fair comparison.

It was a "flattering" comparison, but the other cars are 10k more and SHOULD have more power and better interiors.

R Veloster N

Who cares, allot of the bloggers don't have the overall skills, testing venues and parameters to properly test anything. These are personal opinions, with You Tube dollars in mind. They don't do it for free, so money is the basis of their personal evaluations. :rolleyes:

Most don't own any of the autos they supposedly test or evaluate. They don't have a basic testing format and don't drive the autos on a daily basis. They simply "wing it!" Does anyone of these bloggers layout the specific parameter of testing they utilize. Answer is..............................NO!

Personally, I can afford allot more automobile, but I chose the N. I'm not racing it, nor running around looking to race/ compare performance with every VW R, Subaru WRX STI, Focus/RS I come across. I know what they are. If I wanted one, I'd have purchased one. The N is an oddity, not everyone has one, nor will.

You all know what the other automobiles are too. Either you purchased the N, because it was a happy medium of affordability and performance, or because it fit your personal niche. This is about personal satisfaction, nothing more.

No, nothings fair in life, but you have a choice you can always exercise. Who of you, can afford the tickets for street racing, cost of racing or insurance premiums that go along with what I just mentioned? Who of you can afford to get rid of a car, every time something better comes along?

There will always be something faster, quicker or better looking in the same category, today or tomorrow. I'm not going to whine about it or continue to search/chase after a fair comparison/s, based on someone else's personal opinions. WE (in general) are bias. WE don't own the others for whatever specific reason/s we chose the N. :)

When you finally find this so called, "fair comparison," what will you have? A good feeling, feeling of pride of ownership? Will it self-perpetuate those feelings? Probably not, for most of you. It will be short lived, just as most material things are, especially when the new wears off.

I'm grateful and content with what I purchased. When I get tired of it, I'll buy something else, always have, and most likely will.

Appreciate the enthusiasm, but remind yourself where and how it came about in the beginning. ;)

Enjoy your N, I know I will.

Last edited: