• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Tuning REMOVE GPF

if a reassignment is necessary to avoid failure. as I see many people have already reallocated for that reason I ask.

iiNNEX

I think that there are no pros or cons to this operation. You do not need to modify the software.
What?

Of course there are. The pro is that you will free up a little bit of flow, meaning a bit of extra performance and definitely a lot more sound (louder pops and bangs, more burbles).

The con is that, once the GPF is removed, you need to map the sensors out of the ECU, which leaves a footprint on the unit. So next time you go into Hyundai for engine warranty work, they will read the ECU and simply deny it (hence why a lot of people use tuning boxes for their Stage 1 tunes).

Trust me, we all want to remove our GPFs here, but there is a reason as to why most don't do it. Chucking 5 years/Unlimited mileage warranty out the window is hard to swallow.

You do not need to modify the software because there is no pressure difference sensor in the system and ecu will not know if GPF is present or not.
There are only temperature sensors. 7E6454E6-9852-47B7-A81E-15ECC51CA56E.jpeg 000DD894-7562-42A1-9AEC-F3598D7D6BE3.jpeg

You can try to be 100% sure. Install a regular test pipe but with place for temperature sensors. They must be mounted so that there are no errors.

NULLOBANDITO

Staff member
If I'm not completely mistaken those sensors aren't pressure sensors, but rather check emissions before and after GPF, maybe also temperature.

iiNNEX

When GPF is not clogged then both temperatures are the same as in a regular pipe.
Interesting, so have you done this already?

I went on Remus' website and found this: https://www.hudsonautomotive.co.uk/remus-gpf-delete-pipe---hyundai-i30n-fastback-10540-p.asp

It clearly states:

"Remus GPF/PPF Delete Pipe for the GPF Equipped Hyundai i30N Models.
The GPF will require deactivating with an ECU Remap upon installation and Lambda Sensor will also need to be unplugged.
"

If we can do it with just a pipe, then please send me a link to one and I will remove it this week lol

Interesting, so have you done this already?

I went on Remus' website and found this: https://www.hudsonautomotive.co.uk/remus-gpf-delete-pipe---hyundai-i30n-fastback-10540-p.asp

It clearly states:

"Remus GPF/PPF Delete Pipe for the GPF Equipped Hyundai i30N Models.
The GPF will require deactivating with an ECU Remap upon installation and Lambda Sensor will also need to be unplugged.
"

If we can do it with just a pipe, then please send me a link to one and I will remove it this week lol
is that what they sell is complete. catalyst and gpf, so removing lambda if it does not cancel fails if or yes. But the gpf only if it is as the partner says the ecu does not know

iiNNEX

is that what they sell is complete. catalyst and gpf, so removing lambda if it does not cancel fails if or yes. But the gpf only if it is as the partner says the ecu does not know
What they sell is only a GPF delete, it does not state that it removes the cat?

Also have a read on here: https://drivetribe.com/p/the-opf-pa...dk1XSxe-XzbN8VUqEQ?iid=GgepABK4TimGnFywOCEX9w

Especially the link pipe (gpf removal) section, this caught my eye:
"Linkpipe replacement: Not legal and only for track use, but an option if you feel like going illegal and don't have problems tuning your car. The linkpipe replaces the stock midpipe which often holds the OPFs and centre damper or resonator. A ECU tune might be required to disable the OPF sensors that monitor the back pressure before the OPFs, which are in this case passive and not actively monitored like for instance diesel particle filters. In case of the M2C if you don't do this, then your car goes into limp mode. "

The i30N, just like the M2 Competition also has passive sensors around the GPF, one in front for temperature and one at the back for pressure. (or whichever way around they are). So yes, they are not active sensors, however they will still cause the car to throw up a CEL light or go in limp mode.

What they sell is only a GPF delete, it does not state that it removes the cat?

Also have a read on here: https://drivetribe.com/p/the-opf-pa...dk1XSxe-XzbN8VUqEQ?iid=GgepABK4TimGnFywOCEX9w

Especially the link pipe (gpf removal) section, this caught my eye:
"Linkpipe replacement: Not legal and only for track use, but an option if you feel like going illegal and don't have problems tuning your car. The linkpipe replaces the stock midpipe which often holds the OPFs and centre damper or resonator. A ECU tune might be required to disable the OPF sensors that monitor the back pressure before the OPFs, which are in this case passive and not actively monitored like for instance diesel particle filters. In case of the M2C if you don't do this, then your car goes into limp mode. "

The i30N, just like the M2 Competition also has passive sensors around the GPF, one in front for temperature and one at the back for pressure. (or whichever way around they are). So yes, they are not active sensors, however they will still cause the car to throw up a CEL light or go in limp mode.
but if the partner says he has done it and it works ... why will he lie to us?

Of course there are sensors. If the GPF gets congested (much less likely than its diesel counterpart) it could cause the engine to blow. To avoid that there are sensors that monitor and alert you if it's not working within safe parameters. One way I can think of to avoid programming the ECU is to use dummy sensors that give false data to the ECU to make it think there is still a GPF. There a lots of them on the market but they are not universal. Sooner or later someone is going to make ones specific for the i30N. Maybe some remapping shop can do it if asked. :)

iiNNEX

but if the partner says he has done it and it works ... why will he lie to us?
What partner? And where is the proof that it has been done without remap?

The only thing I could find without remap is this older thread here: https://n-cars.net/forums/threads/remove-gpf-thoughts.3251/

Of course there are sensors. If the GPF gets congested (much less likely than its diesel counterpart) it could cause the engine to blow. To avoid that there are sensors that monitor and alert you if it's not working within safe parameters. One way I can think of to avoid programming the ECU is to use dummy sensors that give false data to the ECU to make it think there is still a GPF. There a lots of them on the market but they are not universal. Sooner or later someone is going to make ones specific for the i30N. Maybe some remapping shop can do it if asked. :)
I hope this comes sooner than later! :(