• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Tuning Remap

I’m sure with my hardware added it might make 400bhp but I think it would be an extremely unsafe 400. There is a turbo available, but I feel that would be 1 step too far for me as this is still my daily, I want to be able to drive it and not worry, but also like to know that I can go to a track day and give it my all and still drive home at the end of the day with no sweat. 400 is a great pub bragging rights number, but I’m not after that much power....just 350 lol
It's possible, I'd be leary of connecting rods and piston skirts breakage. Generally, breakage of this nature, would require a short block replacement. Don't know of many Theta 2.0 short blocks running around right now.

I suppose you have to ask yourself; what's the end goal? Daily drivability or something else. With 350 whp, and tracking, it will put a strain on the reliability of chassis and powertrain components. Keep in mind most of the undercarriage suspension parts are stamped steel, not billet. So there's always the risk of tweaking or twisting such stamped parts.

Tracking on a regular basis, is completely a different world for the i30N and the Veloster N. There's distinctly more accelerated stresses and wear on OEM parts. They weren't made for this type of use or continual stress loading. (maximum not optimal)

You'll have to dump more and more cash into the N, just to keep it viable for daily use. This, is the dilemma you'll eventually face when you go down that road.

TarmoT

Our OEM turbos are capable of 400bhp ....

Checkout the AR from Hotside. Its such a tiny turbo. Impossible to reach more then 315 PS "real" . ;)
It is what I have been always talking about - I have seen only posts about people from somewhere who managed to get magical results but not many posts form forum members who own real car and remap done for more than 300 bhp.
For me, next week there will be first moment of truth. De-cat exhaust done, intake moddifications done, intercooler done, remap ... we will see next week.

@HRE addicted, I respectfully disagree. 315PS/310 whp & crank hp has already been surpassed with this turbo. So there is certainly more to come, especially maintaining boost pressure over 17+ psi across the rpm range. This turbo can easily handle it.

Last edited:

TarmoT

Can you please explain me what did you mean by “315PS/310 whp & crank hp”? It sounds like 100KM/95 meters & miles. I am not the sharpest knife but i have hold in my hands lots of turbochargers but TD04L6-13W is like miracle. If there are 7 wonders of the World, Mitsubishi has made 8-th with that turbocharger.

Last edited:
Sure, PS PferdeStärke (horse-strength/auf Deutsche), standard unit used for the EU to measure the power of an engine.

It's simply an attempt to make make Horse Power (HP) metric and nothing else so 1PS=0.986HP !! Wheel Horse Power (WHP) is measure on a rolling/inertial dynamometer @ the wheels and generally denotes a ~10 to 15%+/- loss thru the drivetrain.

Horsepower (HP) measure at the crankshaft or output shaft is; what the i30N and Veloster N 2.0T Theta engine is rated @ 279 (corrected) PS/275 HP from the factory and not at the wheels.

As I stated above to HRE addicted; this has already been surpassed with the OEM Turbocharger. So his assumption and comments are, simply moot. The OEM turbo with an appropriate tune, can maintain +/- 17 psi (Bar 1.17 +/-) quite easily.

Last edited:

Cygnus X-1

All of the early technical presentations and early release info for both the i30N & VN show 275 PS & 271 BHP.

Some idiots at HMA who don’t know the difference assumed it was 275 BHP; thus, the US website and window stickers incorrectly show it as such (275 HP).

Last edited:
We meassured out a lot on the OEM KeyYang Turbo. Its TD04 size. To uprade this Turbo for 350PS its necessary to install another billet wheel. Btw. the lowboost have an reason for this Turbo. We disassembled now 4 or 5 Turbos. The thrust bearing is very weak from Turbo. For an short period with more boost maybe you get 330PS or so, but the lifespan of the Turbo will be shorter.

Cygnus X-1

We meassured out a lot on the OEM KeyYang Turbo. Its TD04 size. To uprade this Turbo for 350PS its necessary to install another billet wheel. Btw. the lowboost have an reason for this Turbo. We disassembled now 4 or 5 Turbos. The thrust bearing is very weak from Turbo. For an short period with more boost maybe you get 330PS or so, but the lifespan of the Turbo will be shorter.
Billet compressor wheel?

Is it a 270-degree or 360-degree thrust bearing? 270° is what I’ve suspected.

Do have any disassembled OEM turbo pictures to share?

Billet compressor wheel?

Is it a 270-degree or 360-degree thrust bearing? 270° is what I’ve suspected.

Do have any disassembled OEM turbo pictures to share?
Hello Cygnus X-1,

270° - you are right. But we know they changed some internals of the Turbo. I can give only one advice , backpressure is an huge Problem for the thrust bearing ;)