• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Who! Me.

Nthusiast
Apr 4, 2018
Belfast
Purchased a keyless protector for my car well I would not like to see my car disappear from the place from where I left it due to Relay attack or at my house at night by these unscrupulous people.

Fitted to my key fob took a bit of getting used to so here it goes.

• Install the protector to the battery in your key fob size, small not large.
  • Place said key fob in your pocket, try unlocking your car nothing happens as the protector stops they key fob sending a signal to the car so no access to the vehicle.
  • Stand still for 2 seconds if you walk up to the car then simply tap the key fob two taps while in your pocket and hey presto car key sends signal and you gain entry to the motor vehicle.
  • When you get to your destination the key fob will deactivate after 3 minutes of sitting still.
All in all a fantastic wee device means the car cannot be stolen by relay attack and a must have in my opinion cost £144.

Watch this video to get the meaning of my explanation and if you like me I worry about relay attack this is a must, costly but then faraday purses always failed after 4 months use always ending up leaking signal so not effective only time will tell how effective this device will be but with two years warranty it looks a sturdy wee piece of techno kit.

I spent two hours on the telephone with Hyundai UK and I told them about my concern their reply was they have never had a I30 get stolen but then I said this is no ordinary I30 we are talking about but still they said it has never happened to one of their cars watch the video and this attack can happen to any car which has keyless entry with start stop so Hyundai are talking porkies when they say that this cannot happen to their cars well I done something about it and now have keyless protect maybe Hyundai should give these as an added protection to all I30’ N Performance owners.

Would you buy one of these for your car or is it a spend too much, please comment below.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jajodu
The double tap is more secure as the new keyless protector always eeking a signal for three minutes while moving, horses for courses. Buyer’s choice I guess and you are entitled to your opinion but please don’t make out I have made a bad purchasing decision.

Just curious why are you waiting as you can buy now either double tap or no tap from the web site both available to buy only I decided to go with double tap, more secure just more paranoid I guess.

Attachments

• k1.JPG
    k1.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 64
  • k2.JPG
    k2.JPG
    177.9 KB · Views: 63
The double tap is more secure as the new keyless protector always eeking a signal for three minutes while moving, horses for courses. Buyer’s choice I guess and you are entitled to your opinion but please don’t make out I have made a bad purchasing decision.

Just curious why are you waiting as you can buy now either double tap or no tap from the web site both available to buy only I decided to go with double tap, more secure just more paranoid I guess.
You on commission? I’ll just stick with my signal blocking wallet

You on commission? I’ll just stick with my signal blocking wallet

I had a signal blocking wallet in fact I owned three of them they worked for an average of 6 months each then they started leaking RF. Walked up to the car one night fob still in wallet and guess what the puddle lights came on and I just pressed the button on the door handle got in and started the car all while the key fob was in the faraday wallet I then purchased another one it worked for long enough 7 months this time instead of 6 but it failed also so here we are I need a better solution that the faraday pouch.

I wish I was on commission I am not just making those aware there is such a device other than the fob wallet which is bulky and cumbersome horses for courses pays your money and takes your chance much like betting on a horse at the grand national using those wallets, my advice is if you don’t want the keyless protect buy one of these instead of a wallet which is much better than any wallet. I suppose it all depends on what price do you put on protecting your car from relay attack or should I say if you can afford to awaken in the morning to go out to your car and find it has magically disappeared and both your keys are in the house then lucky you as the money spent is a small price to pay to safeguard £28,000 worth of motor vehicle on in my care £23,000.

If you don’t want to spend even £39 just take the key fob apart every night and remove the battery that is free to you kind sir..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alpha-Shie...s=faraday+box&qid=1557951849&s=gateway&sr=8-6

So far my keyless protect is doing what it was designed to do I will report back if anything negative happens while using the keyless protect.

How is it more secure? ah the no tap was not there last time a looked ta

Standard version. Activation of the keyfob by tapping it twice within second apart.
Deactivation of keyfob after 20-30 steps of walking OR laying completly still for 180seconds.

No tapping version. Keyfob is active only while in movement.
It disables automatically after laying completly still for 180 seconds

How is it more secure? ah the no tap was not there last time a looked ta

Standard version. Activation of the keyfob by tapping it twice within second apart.
Deactivation of keyfob after 20-30 steps of walking OR laying completly still for 180seconds.

No tapping version. Keyfob is active only while in movement.
It disables automatically after laying completly still for 180 seconds

Well the video shows a woman exiting the car with the double tap version then when she exits the car the key fob is not used to lock the car while exiting the vehicle she just presses the door handle locking the car and the key fob is deactivated secure they even place a protected lock symbol to state the key fob is protected but not in my case I had to double tap the keyfob and as such opened the FR signal to all when the keyless protect video shows otherwise so that is misleading.. This is for the double tap version becuase when she returns to the car she then doubletaps the keyfob.

I leant today that when I exited my vehicle I had to double tap the key to lock the door so not how they advertised the double tap funny I e mailed them today to complain regarding said video below.

I stand corrected now though ignorance so apologies for my earlier comment as I had only learnt of this material fact while using the keyless protect myself so still learning. I did have an incident today I was almost sure the key fob operated on my return when I should have to double tap the key fob and I was able to gain entry to the car without double tapping the fey fob now maybe the way I walked made the keyless protect activate anyhow if it does it again then I will return it for a refund as I would be afraid it was maybe not protecting the car in the way it should.

This is all new to me so first time using this system in the real world and even the manufacturers does not yet know all the pitfalls this device will bring.

https://keylessprotector.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8cuO-rOe4gIV4ZztCh2Psgc5EAAYAiAAEgII1_D_BwE

I honestly do not believe the keyless protect is snake oil as it does what it says it will do it is fiddly to fit and have the prongs of the key fob all sitting on the keyless protect wafer without one prong from the fob hitting the battery then bypassing the keyless protect hey presto key fob works without double tap and they you think it is not working when it could have been the install anyway I took my key fob apart and paid particular attention as to where the key fob meets the wafer of the keyless protect to have it all seated correctly is the main problem here as it is very precise in the fitting as it moves about quite a lot while installing so can become off whack you have to take your time on installation use a plastic sludger and position the protector very precisely before closing the key fob up that is not mentioned on any installation literature.

I will try it over the next week and if it happens again at least I will get my money back you see maybe the keyless protect registered a double tap or assumed I double tapped the way I took the key fob out of my jacket pocket maybe it registered a double tap because up until that point it worked every time, so you can’t really say snake oil at this early stage after all I am still learning how to activate it you do not need to give it very hard tap just a very light tap but within 1 second so maybe it was me who mishandled the key fob I would put it down to that scenario than a malfunction because I have used the key fob to unlock the car and nothing key fod deactivated as it should be until you double tap to activate and use the key fob.

To use the protector took quite a while to get the timing right at first I could not get the key fob to activate or how hard to tap so on and so forth but once you get the hang of it all worked as it should.

Google is your friend.

I will leave a comment here after I have done a thorough test as I will put it through different scenarios over the coming weeks. If it goes tit's up then I will be asking for a refund for obvious reasons.

I would assume too, more people will be reporting issues the same if it is a regular occurrence with other keyless protectors, for now I am happy with my purchase it is protecting the car from relay attack so far so good. All good thoughts.

If you ask
Who! Me. said:
Would you buy one of these for your car or is it a spend too much, please comment below.
then you can't say
Who! Me. said:
... you are entitled to your opinion but please don’t make out I have made a bad purchasing decision.

anyway, 2 x Faraday pouches for £8 will do me thanks.

In the end ended up returning the keyless protect as it did it again the keyless protect stopped working after 17hrs of inactivity and I was able to unlock my car without double tap so returned it today for a full refund.

I think it is also important to find out why the faraday bags are failing after a certain amount of time. None of the material seem to deteriorate visually. I don't have one , so would need to research more on this. I am just using a biscuit tin at the moment.

Reactions: speedking
Did they not offer to swap it out for the other model, ?
I purchased another one different type and can confirm after extensive tests that it works 100% in fact I have a spare one that I could sell as I purchased two or just to keep as a spare for the spare key all good and not as expensive as it cost only £80. So I might whack it up for sale. It works on motion and yes I did motion tests to confirm it actually stops the RF signal from reaching the car and then did a 13 and 19 & finally a 48 hr test to see if the key was still deactivated after sitting for a long time and can report it works, if the key fob is left sitting for 5 minutes it totally stops the RF signal. I did these tests over two weeks and can report this time this we device works it is an American brand yes the other company offered to swap refund so I opted for a rtefund as it could have been a batch problem and didnt want another failed attempt much harder to get a refund as I could nto be bothered with the hassle. No they only supply the double tap and cost £144 the one I purchased only cost me £80.00 so much cheaper too which was fantastic. Saved me £64.00 whoo hoo.

Last edited:
I think it is also important to find out why the faraday bags are failing after a certain amount of time. None of the material seem to deteriorate visually. I don't have one , so would need to research more on this. I am just using a biscuit tin at the moment.
I have purchased 4 different faraday bags over the year and even a tin box won’t work properly as it will leak RF signal I did all what you have done and after testing the key to car signal I can confirm the faraday bags only work for a while it is to do with the mesh and even if one of those thread gets broken in the faraday bag it leaks RF signal as for your tin I can guarantee you that it will leak RF signal. You would have to use a heavy gauge metal with a very tight fit fully shielded a tin box will warp get dented and the lip wont form a seal that will allow your RF signal to leak signal.

But hey do what you think is the cheapest option. I did buy a device that wraps roud the battery inside the key fob that stops the key fob sending an RF signal to the car after sitting for 5 mionutes of inactivity it switches off the RF signal and it works 100% I have tested it over a two week period testing all scenarios and amazingly it works 100%.

Last edited: