• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

i30 N Rattling/Creaking from back end of car

BoyRacerN

Feb 24, 2020
Melbourne
hey all,, i've noticed a mixture of a rattling/creaking noise coming from the back end of my car, it sounds as if something is loose or not on properly and it is much more noticeable at lower speeds or over an un even surface such as the lane i drive down. I had someone tell me it could be a loose strut bar bolt but i have checked and they are on very tight, i was thinking the exhaust valve but i have tried open and closed and no difference.

it's quite annoying as i don't know what it is, i have searched a few key words on here and haven't seen a post but if there is one please link it!

i've tried my dealer and other dealers and they have all given me ridiculous wait times of around a month to go see them, which is just ludicrous in my eyes. hoping someone on here has had the same issue and resolved it

cheers

GazmaN

Staff member
Oct 28, 2018
Darwin, Australia
hey all,, i've noticed a mixture of a rattling/creaking noise coming from the back end of my car, it sounds as if something is loose or not on properly and it is much more noticeable at lower speeds or over an un even surface such as the lane i drive down. I had someone tell me it could be a loose strut bar bolt but i have checked and they are on very tight, i was thinking the exhaust valve but i have tried open and closed and no difference.

it's quite annoying as i don't know what it is, i have searched a few key words on here and haven't seen a post but if there is one please link it!

i've tried my dealer and other dealers and they have all given me ridiculous wait times of around a month to go see them, which is just ludicrous in my eyes. hoping someone on here has had the same issue and resolved it

cheers
You have a hatch if I remember correctly? Could be loose spoiler bolts - mine needed serious tightening. I used Loctite the second time around as they worked themselves loose again. Here's a thread that may help, covering other issues as well:

BoyRacerN

Feb 24, 2020
Melbourne
You have a hatch if I remember correctly? Could be loose spoiler bolts - mine needed serious tightening. I used Loctite the second time around as they worked themselves loose again. Here's a thread that may help, covering other issues as well:

cheers man, yep the hatch. yeah some one had mentioned the spoiler and the strut bar on facebook, tried and they were rock solid. then i drove with the back seats down from trying the strut bar and the sound went!

so i tried the seats up again and the noise came back, i think their is something dangling or loose when the back seat locks into place, or rubbing together which is strange

BNEJRN

Feb 25, 2020
Brisbane, Queensland
cheers man, yep the hatch. yeah some one had mentioned the spoiler and the strut bar on facebook, tried and they were rock solid. then i drove with the back seats down from trying the strut bar and the sound went!

so i tried the seats up again and the noise came back, i think their is something dangling or loose when the back seat locks into place, or rubbing together which is strange
I had something like this many years ago on a Mazda Astina hatch. Turned out the point where the back seats are latched/connected to the metal catch when the seats are upright needed a little lubrication. May be worth a try.

Reactions: GazmaN

BoyRacerN

Feb 24, 2020
Melbourne
I had something like this many years ago on a Mazda Astina hatch. Turned out the point where the back seats are latched/connected to the metal catch when the seats are upright needed a little lubrication. May be worth a try.
that sounds about right to what the problem is, i'll do some looking around on the part there and see if that fixes it. cheers