• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Rain sensor

Dobbin

Feb 28, 2020
Uk
Hi Everyone,
I've had my N for a whole year now. All has been OK apart from the rubbish auto windscreen wipers. They don't work in drizzle, spray or reliably in any kind of rain come to think of it. Even when they do work in any kind of persistent rain, they either turn off randomly or run at max speed for a few seconds.
I'm preparing for the usual dealer "oh yes they all do that" row in a couple of days time. I don't use RainX or any other glass treatment. No doubt all the dealer will do is throw a bucket of water at the windscreen and if the wipers activate then all is good in their mind (for which they want to charge me an £80 "diagnostic fee!!). Looking at the photos here which one of the sensors in front of the mirror is the rain sensor? I ask because the circular one on the left doesn't look quite right. I'd be interested to see if anyone else's looks the same?

IMG_20210329_112515_sml.jpg
IMG_20210329_112436_sml.jpg

That circle should be completely black (like the rest). Thats for the "multi-function camera".

Something funky is definitely going on there......
Thanks, that will be why I cannot see this on any photos of i30's. I wonder if that is used instead of a dedicated rain sensor?

There is no camera there. You can see it behind the "▲" shape on the right. Under that circle is a combination IR LED's and photodiodes that work by reflecting light under the surface of the glass (like optic fiber). For optimal transfer of infrared light, there is a gel "cookie" that sticks between the windshield and the electronics, which is the one that has come off to you.

The major problem about that is keep the dust out. If not dust and if you dare, you can re-apply it trying to make a down / up movement to avoid bubbles (as with a sticker or vinyl)

Reactions: NULLOBANDITO
Only anecdotal... but I've always found the auto wipers on my I30N (pretty much like every other car that I've owned with them) to be pretty rubbish anyway. Either they don't flick wipe when the screen is just slightly damp (regardless of where the adjustment switch is set), or they go into high speed when its not even raining "that" hard. At least on the fords you can switch the auto function off completely and just have an adjustable intermittent wipe. Just my opinion of course :)

Reactions: R Veloster N