• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!
Here are my results with my race chip. Bit Dissapointed to be honest, not what was advertised. May ring customer support as they can fine tune the box, Apparently there are 7 settings but we can only control 3 of them.
stock.jpgrace.jpg

Reactions: simmo777
Power gain isn’t great is it but your stock power is excellent (over 280bhp).

My best power gain was 28 hp over my stock number (294 against 266) so I was happy with that. It’s the torque where these gains are mainly felt and show (460ish nM) on my DTUK box.

Maybe there’s another setting on your Racechip box that will give you better results. DTUK say that their maps should all have similar power/torque results (peak) but the map just changes how the power is delivered.

I’ve yet to see a Racechip Dyno anywhere near their 313 ( I think) quoted power. Your car had a really good stock starting point so that makes me more sceptical also. Contact them mate.

How Are you finding the box so far ?
You must have had a dud box because I fitted mine yesterday and I can certainly feel the difference and it's only in mode 4. Getting it dyno'd next month so see what the gains are. I'm not looking to push over 300bhp or 300ft lbs as long as I'm close to that figure then I will be happy.

still never seen any box with proof to go over the 300 mark tbh?

Me neither. It’s the gain though that is important and if my car made the stock 275hp on the Dyno then with the box, it’d be 303hp (still slightly under 300bhp) but you get my point.

I think the claims of 310-315bhp are certainly overstated by all these companies I’m afraid - however on many occasions the torque numbers seem to exceed quoted so that’s something....

I was going to ask how you'r getting on with the box, very tempted to get one.
I had a Golf R with a JB1 box, made around 350-360 hp but the car felt better to drive without it.
Judging by your previous comments the TMC box sounds like a good bit of kit.

I was going to ask how you'r getting on with the box, very tempted to get one.
I had a Golf R with a JB1 box, made around 350-360 hp but the car felt better to drive without it.
Judging by your previous comments the TMC box sounds like a good bit of kit.

So far so good with the box - considerable increase in low end pick up and overall it feels great! The car is a little bit more jerky to be honest, it's hard to go for a casual drive without wanting to put your foot down. As soon as you are 2500-3000rpm it wants to get up and boogie!

As far as the dyno day goes as long as it gets the tick of approval for being somewhat of a safe and reliable tune I will keep it in :) not super interested in whether or not it meets the advertised figures (unless they have been hideously overstated).

For me the Dtuk is superb, but I am going to sell it. I want a decat and for that reason I am going for a remap.

Reactions: TarmoT
So as reported a few weeks ago my race chip only gave me an extra 15bhp and 63 nm, not the advertised 38bhp and 145nm!

Ive just rang their customer support, very friendly and easy to talk to, and they agreed that those gains were not good enough. As I also have the app control they were able to update the box using the app and omg what a huge difference it has made! I can definitely feel the difference and after payday I'll stick it back on the rolling road to see how much of a difference its made.

My only concern now is if the extra boost is safe for the engine? Anyone know what is a safe range?

So as reported a few weeks ago my race chip only gave me an extra 15bhp and 63 nm, not the advertised 38bhp and 145nm!

Ive just rang their customer support, very friendly and easy to talk to, and they agreed that those gains were not good enough. As I also have the app control they were able to update the box using the app and omg what a huge difference it has made! I can definitely feel the difference and after payday I'll stick it back on the rolling road to see how much of a difference its made.

My only concern now is if the extra boost is safe for the engine? Anyone know what is a safe range?

I'm not 100% sure but from what I've seen so far peaks of 20-21 PSI are fine. I'm really curious to see the boost graph vs RPM though so please make sure to get a pic of that and the AFR readings as well when you hit up the rolling road if you can!

My JB4 module only seems to raise boost between 2500-5000RPM, but after that it drops sharply and no amount of fiddling with the requested boost values seems to get it to change. I'm really curious to see if Race Chip managed to change it with their module or not.

It’s not just boost that is altered with these boxes. It’s the fuelling and I’m not convinced that we see anything more (in terms of boost) than a psi or 2 at best, with using a tuning box.

It’s not just boost that is altered with these boxes. It’s the fuelling and I’m not convinced that we see anything more (in terms of boost) than a psi or 2 at best, with using a tuning box.

I can't speak for the other solutions, but with my JB4 at the very least you can adjust boost quite a bit in the lower-mid RPM range. I've gotten it to hit 20 PSI before where stock is 12.5-13, it just falls off completely after 5500 or so and by redline it hovers around 10 PSI. I'm fairly certain this is what the other boxes do as well, they're just not customizable or allow you to datalog.

They all intercept the signals from the TMAP & MAP sensors, modify the values that the ECU sees to make the ECU increase boost at a given point, and the ECU adjusts the air/fuel mixture based on O2 sensor readings.

I have no knowledge or experience of the JB4 but it does sound like a more serious piece of kit, than the Racechip/DTUK boxes. How do you ‘adjust’ the boost then with the JB4?

With the DTUK box, you can only change the particular mode that the box is in. So there are 3 modes and then you can make 6 incremental adjustments within each mode. We have been told that the modes do not affect or change the power output, and that it’s only in the way the power is delivered.

Interesting discussion.

There's 2 methods to adjusting boost and other parameters within the JB4; the mobile app for your hand-held/android/apple devices and the PC/MAC app that requires either a computer with bluetooth connection or the hardwired serial port cable connected to the JB4 module itself with a USB plug on the other end for your computer.

You can adjust values for boost, fuel/AFR bias (can add or remove fuel at a specific RPM), and a few other features all on the fly. It also has full data logging capabilities, as well as 8 different maps to choose from, each with a different pre-made tune on it for different modification levels and fuel (similar to other boxes, but with more transparency and functionality). One of those 8 maps is a customizable map that allows you free reign over almost all parameters.

This module is really big in the BMW N54/55 community in North America, among others. Support is amazing too, I'm currently working with the owner and trying to iron out all the features with the new N platform.

Screenshot_20190110-095403_JB4 Mobile.jpgScreenshot_20190109-173926_JB4 Mobile.jpgScreenshot_20190105-232102_JB4 Mobile.jpg

I will give you a hint why boost is falling down after 5000rpm. You can tell what ever you want (by using piggyback) to ECU but it will still cut boost off after 5500rpm because our tiny turbocharger will reach it limit there. It is Mitsubishi TD04 based wistle and after 4500rpm it blows just hot air.