• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Tuning Race chip or DTUK box

Seai30n

How Are you finding the box so far ?
You must have had a dud box because I fitted mine yesterday and I can certainly feel the difference and it's only in mode 4. Getting it dyno'd next month so see what the gains are. I'm not looking to push over 300bhp or 300ft lbs as long as I'm close to that figure then I will be happy.

Crocoman

still never seen any box with proof to go over the 300 mark tbh?
Me neither. It’s the gain though that is important and if my car made the stock 275hp on the Dyno then with the box, it’d be 303hp (still slightly under 300bhp) but you get my point.

I think the claims of 310-315bhp are certainly overstated by all these companies I’m afraid - however on many occasions the torque numbers seem to exceed quoted so that’s something....

So as reported a few weeks ago my race chip only gave me an extra 15bhp and 63 nm, not the advertised 38bhp and 145nm!

Ive just rang their customer support, very friendly and easy to talk to, and they agreed that those gains were not good enough. As I also have the app control they were able to update the box using the app and omg what a huge difference it has made! I can definitely feel the difference and after payday I'll stick it back on the rolling road to see how much of a difference its made.

My only concern now is if the extra boost is safe for the engine? Anyone know what is a safe range?

So as reported a few weeks ago my race chip only gave me an extra 15bhp and 63 nm, not the advertised 38bhp and 145nm!

Ive just rang their customer support, very friendly and easy to talk to, and they agreed that those gains were not good enough. As I also have the app control they were able to update the box using the app and omg what a huge difference it has made! I can definitely feel the difference and after payday I'll stick it back on the rolling road to see how much of a difference its made.

My only concern now is if the extra boost is safe for the engine? Anyone know what is a safe range?
I'm not 100% sure but from what I've seen so far peaks of 20-21 PSI are fine. I'm really curious to see the boost graph vs RPM though so please make sure to get a pic of that and the AFR readings as well when you hit up the rolling road if you can!

My JB4 module only seems to raise boost between 2500-5000RPM, but after that it drops sharply and no amount of fiddling with the requested boost values seems to get it to change. I'm really curious to see if Race Chip managed to change it with their module or not.

Crocoman

It’s not just boost that is altered with these boxes. It’s the fuelling and I’m not convinced that we see anything more (in terms of boost) than a psi or 2 at best, with using a tuning box.

It’s not just boost that is altered with these boxes. It’s the fuelling and I’m not convinced that we see anything more (in terms of boost) than a psi or 2 at best, with using a tuning box.
I can't speak for the other solutions, but with my JB4 at the very least you can adjust boost quite a bit in the lower-mid RPM range. I've gotten it to hit 20 PSI before where stock is 12.5-13, it just falls off completely after 5500 or so and by redline it hovers around 10 PSI. I'm fairly certain this is what the other boxes do as well, they're just not customizable or allow you to datalog.

They all intercept the signals from the TMAP & MAP sensors, modify the values that the ECU sees to make the ECU increase boost at a given point, and the ECU adjusts the air/fuel mixture based on O2 sensor readings.

Crocoman

I have no knowledge or experience of the JB4 but it does sound like a more serious piece of kit, than the Racechip/DTUK boxes. How do you ‘adjust’ the boost then with the JB4?

With the DTUK box, you can only change the particular mode that the box is in. So there are 3 modes and then you can make 6 incremental adjustments within each mode. We have been told that the modes do not affect or change the power output, and that it’s only in the way the power is delivered.

Interesting discussion.

There's 2 methods to adjusting boost and other parameters within the JB4; the mobile app for your hand-held/android/apple devices and the PC/MAC app that requires either a computer with bluetooth connection or the hardwired serial port cable connected to the JB4 module itself with a USB plug on the other end for your computer.

You can adjust values for boost, fuel/AFR bias (can add or remove fuel at a specific RPM), and a few other features all on the fly. It also has full data logging capabilities, as well as 8 different maps to choose from, each with a different pre-made tune on it for different modification levels and fuel (similar to other boxes, but with more transparency and functionality). One of those 8 maps is a customizable map that allows you free reign over almost all parameters.

This module is really big in the BMW N54/55 community in North America, among others. Support is amazing too, I'm currently working with the owner and trying to iron out all the features with the new N platform.

Screenshot_20190110-095403_JB4 Mobile.jpg Screenshot_20190109-173926_JB4 Mobile.jpg Screenshot_20190105-232102_JB4 Mobile.jpg

TarmoT

I will give you a hint why boost is falling down after 5000rpm. You can tell what ever you want (by using piggyback) to ECU but it will still cut boost off after 5500rpm because our tiny turbocharger will reach it limit there. It is Mitsubishi TD04 based wistle and after 4500rpm it blows just hot air.

Crocoman

Yes,we sometimes only think software, software and more software. And forget that this car like all others, has hardware restrictions. ECU remap, DTUK/Racechip/JB4......we’ve got what we can out of this without additional hardware modifications.

It’s as simple as that. For what it’s worth, the turbo in this car (combined with the intercooler) appear to be the classic case of quality vs cost, that Biermann has implemented with this car.

I will give you a hint why boost is falling down after 5000rpm. You can tell what ever you want (by using piggyback) to ECU but it will still cut boost off after 5500rpm because our tiny turbocharger will reach it limit there. It is Mitsubishi TD04 based wistle and after 4500rpm it blows just hot air.
You say that, but I have logs of a Veloster N, same as mine but with an i30N PP ecu flash making 5 PSI more across the board with the exact same map on his JB4 that I'm using (I actually gave it to him to test). Clearly Hyundai's holding out on Veloster N owners and there is more in it...

Of course that's got nothing to do with the module in that case, but the turbo is definitely not maxing out at the 10 PSI shown in my datalog. Most TD04s can be pushed above 20 PSI before they run out of steam and turn into hot air pumps, and to top it off the i30N/VN intercooler is much better than the average intercooler found on other cars running TD04s at higher boost levels.

TD04-13T is usually good for 19-20 at peak, but as it is a small variant, it quickly gets out of its efficiency range, but it should definitely hold more than 10 up top. Better valve, WG options, better flowing intake, charge piping, IC and exhaust components will help.

Fitted my DTUK box over the weekend and can definitely tell the difference in a couple of ways.

Only done one journey to work but can tell the mid range shove has certainly increased, along with the turbo whistle, not really been able to fully let rip so cant say for the top end.

Other thing that is exhaust is noticeably quieter, still get the pops and bangs but don't seem as fierce and the general exhaust note does seem to have been dulled down a bit, no matter which of the efficiency/dynamic/sport (only tried 0 not +/- yet). Yes that is with the valve fully open. Any ideas??