• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

QLD N Owners - Meet up/Track day

dboots

Nthusiast
Jul 9, 2018
SE QLD Australia
There has been a bit of chat about the Breaky & Laps at QLD Raceway on 2 December 2018. I am a noob to track days but I am interested in going to give the N a run. Is anyone else interested in going and is there any info on what these events are like for a novice like me?

Reactions: simmo777
There has been a bit of chat about the Breaky & Laps at QLD Raceway on 2 December 2018. I am a noob to track days but I am interested in going to give the N a run. Is anyone else interested in going and is there any info on what these events are like for a novice like me?

I second, would also like some more info! Was thinking about tagging along but I have a 25th Birthday on the Saturday night... Not what you want before your first track day :rolleyes::p

That day you've mentioned isn't fast or hot laps. It's just driving around the track and blasting down the straights.
http://www.torquetime.com.au/product/breaky-laps-02-12-2018
If you're wanting to do timed laps like what Mark did in his I think you'll need to pick a different day and the requirements might be different race suit, helmet etc.

Oh, OK. I am not really interested in just going fast down a straight. I'd be interested in any other suggestions. I have also looked at Morgan Park Raceway on their practice days but I believe it requires a CAMS licence.

Oh, OK. I am not really interested in just going fast down a straight. I'd be interested in any other suggestions. I have also looked at Morgan Park Raceway on their practice days but I believe it requires a CAMS licence.

IF the Torque Time event does go ahead this weekend, I will hopefully be there, just to give my car a run. Last event they had proposed was cancelled without reason.

It is speed limited, I think it is 120kph, there are no cars there with roll cages (high performance race cars), no helmet is required, and no CAMS license is needed. It gives you an opportunity to explore the track and your car in a safe environment. Remember, you can take the corners at 120 too (lol), so you just can't try and hit 250 on the front straight. There is NO racing as such, you can't stop and do launches and burnouts, and you can't drift.

I went to the last one a few weeks ago, and didn't participate, I just went to see how it was run. It seemed to be well organised, and very safe for total newbies.

There is a track and training day 7th December at QR. A whole day, you need a helmet and a CAMS license, and you can even get lessons if you want.

The introductory CAMS license is EASY to get, and costs about $65 per year. Go here:

https://www.cams.com.au/get-involved/competitors/getting-started

Best way to get involved is to rock up and watch, and ask questions, and when you are ready, give it a go.

Forget about Queensland raceway, do general practice or sprints at Lakeside. You'll really challenge yourself and have a ball. Let me know who else is prepared to drive their i30N like is was meant to be driven. I need to benchmark myself against other standard i30N's to see why I'm not getting the most out of my car.

Reactions: dboots
Forget about Queensland raceway, do general practice or sprints at Lakeside. You'll really challenge yourself and have a ball. Let me know who else is prepared to drive their i30N like is was meant to be driven. I need to benchmark myself against other standard i30N's to see why I'm not getting the most out of my car.

I'm keen, but I don't know how my N will compare as a benchmark. I have been noticing some real performance deficiencies between the seat and pedals. ;)

Sounds good. Nothing much left this year but 2019 will have plenty of opportunities to sharpen your performance. You have a choice of general practice or timed sprints. Both enable you to drive as hard as you feel comfortable with. Lakeside will scare you initially but if you treat it with respect and work yourself up gradually your times will improve. Follow other drivers to learn breaking points and corner techniques. I've been away from the place for a few years and previously drove rear wheel drive V8 Falcons so the N is a new experience for me. So far I'm impressed with the P Zero's, the brakes, and absence of both understeer and oversteer. Speed down the straight and through the kink is pretty good and reasonably comparable with at least half the other cars. I'm way too conservative through the corners as yet which probably explains the neutral steering. Be prepared to accept severe tyre wear but that's a normal by product. What did surprise me was just how much (98 octane) fuel the N used. More than half a tank in probably 30 odd laps. I'm guessing here but starting with 3/4 of a tank I chose not to do a fourth session in order to leave enough to get home.

Over time, and resisting any temptation to upgrade anything, I'm aiming to get as close to my previous best times in Falcons which were set up for decent track performance. The great difference here is the N will tootle home without any bad manners, whilst the Falcons had to be either trailered home or driven carefully under the radar in non air conditioned and low tractability discomfort.

I'll post my intentions next year and see if any other owners are interested in playing with their i30N's at Lakeside.

Sounds good. Nothing much left this year but 2019 will have plenty of opportunities to sharpen your performance. You have a choice of general practice or timed sprints. Both enable you to drive as hard as you feel comfortable with. Lakeside will scare you initially but if you treat it with respect and work yourself up gradually your times will improve. Follow other drivers to learn breaking points and corner techniques. I've been away from the place for a few years and previously drove rear wheel drive V8 Falcons so the N is a new experience for me. So far I'm impressed with the P Zero's, the brakes, and absence of both understeer and oversteer. Speed down the straight and through the kink is pretty good and reasonably comparable with at least half the other cars. I'm way too conservative through the corners as yet which probably explains the neutral steering. Be prepared to accept severe tyre wear but that's a normal by product. What did surprise me was just how much (98 octane) fuel the N used. More than half a tank in probably 30 odd laps. I'm guessing here but starting with 3/4 of a tank I chose not to do a fourth session in order to leave enough to get home.

Over time, and resisting any temptation to upgrade anything, I'm aiming to get as close to my previous best times in Falcons which were set up for decent track performance. The great difference here is the N will tootle home without any bad manners, whilst the Falcons had to be either trailered home or driven carefully under the radar in non air conditioned and low tractability discomfort.

I'll post my intentions next year and see if any other owners are interested in playing with their i30N's at Lakeside.

Pencil me down! I am within 30 minutes of Lakeside Raceway

Reactions: dboots

Do you need to be a member of a club and have a CAMS licence for practice sessions?

Do you need to be a member of a club and have a CAMS licence for practice sessions?

Unsure - will keep an ear out for events on their FB page and quiz the local regulars when the time comes. I've been to QR and sat in with friends but never had to opportunity to bring my own rig and have a go!

You don't need to be a member of a club. A licence can be bought from the organisers (Qld Raceways who run both Willowbank and Lakeside) $20 for the day or $60 for a year. I don't know if any clubs book the circuit exclusively for their own activities. Years ago the S.P.A.R.C. (Surfers Paradise Auto Race Club, among others I believe) would book exclusively for a morning a couple of times a year. That was before the circuit closed and was almost lost before the Pine Rivers Shire Council stepped in and bought it.

In some ways they were the good old days. Nowadays the circuit is constantly under threat from parties who would like to see it closed for good. So if you do decide to run there keep your car muffled so there's nothing for them to complain about.

Any track days coming up in February anywhere in SE Qld???? KEEN.....

There is a BRZ cruise day on the 9th Feb at Lakeside, I was thinking of taking both the BRZ and the N for a run, that should be fun, a day filled with derision and entertainment.

I recently took my i30N on a track introduction afternoon at Lakeside with SkidControl (www.skidcontrol.com.au) and it was a great way to learn the track for a noob like me. It was my first time on a track in any car, and can highly recommend it for anyone that wants to have a go but is worried about their own performance and/or getting in the way of other that are going much faster. the final 2 sessions were "as fast as you are comfortable" so you can wind her out.

I am thinking of doing their Queensland Raceway intro session on 31 October 2019 if the weather is good.

Spotted ‘80ost’ PB N in Coorparoo just then.
Also spotted a white one yesterday around 4pm on Wynnum Rd heading inbound Morningside.