• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Process for Upgrade Parts in Germany (für Ausländer)

JAYtheVET

Apr 23, 2019
Germany
Hi I'm Jason, some of you I've had previous correspondence with…

So I'm an American living in Germany for quite some time on and off. I'm now living here permanently and want to modify my N. Since I grew up in America, (We can pretty much do whatever we want to our cars without any kind of permission at all. We can install parts ourselves or have them installed, as long as they work, nobody cares.) I have done most of my upgrades to my car myself in the past without regulatory problems. I'm completely lost regarding the regulations for upgrading parts in Germany.

When I purchase a part I know I require an ABE or TÜV Gutachten. Without either of those things the part is not allowed. This much I know.

Here are my questions

Can I install parts myself?
  • Do I have to make an appointment with the TÜV afterwards?
  • Do I have to tell my Insurance?
    • What do I tell them?
  • Does this upgrade have to be added to my Fahrzeugbrief?
    • How do I do this?
If I have the parts installed...

Will the garage automatically take the car to the TÜV for me?
  • Insurance?
  • Fahrzeugbrief?

What am I forgetting to ask?

I know the answer could be a long one so if you send me a PM I will give you my German number and we can talk. My German is good enough to hold a conversation, definitely my 2nd language. Thanks for all input.

Reactions: R Veloster N

Felix

Jan 15, 2020
Germany
Can you provide a detailed list of the parts you installed? Some parts don't need anything ("eintragungsfrei"), some work with the papers they came with ("ABE", "ECE") and some can't be used / applied at all on the streets.
Some changes have to be announced to your insurance, some don't. It all relies on each part.
A general read: https://www.vwteam.com/ece-abe-pruefzeichen-gutachten-genehmigung/

JAYtheVET

Apr 23, 2019
Germany
Great read, thanks. That will answer most of my questions. I want to install an air pipe, turbo intake, flex pipe, down pipe, Eibach springs and exhaust. Intake/Exhaust parts from the motor will be Gruppenzwang. Exhaust will either be Milltek or Remus. Everything will have an ABE except the down pipe and turbo intake.

Reactions: R Veloster N

Bu11eT

Staff member
Jun 30, 2018
Germany · Schleswig-Holstein
The link posted by Felix sums it up quite good.

In general you can follow this principle:
1. Before purchasing the part check the papers. Is it ABE, ECE compliant? Has it a "Teilegutachten"? Or maybe something else? You definitely need some kind of paper to put it through TÜV in a time and cost effective manner (except for ECE. This one doesn't need to go through TÜV afaik)
2. (Ignore for ECE and ABE) Read through the paper. Usually it is a "Teilegutachten" and it should list your car. If your car is in the papers, check on the right hand side for specific things which the TÜV will look for (on wheels it's usually that they don't rub and the wheels can turn properly). Some TÜV guys will check if your car is compliant for these notes, other don't really bother. It depends on the TÜV guy who checks your car.

Sample of those "specific things" (called "Auflagen"). See the right hand side (K1a, A01, A12, etc.). Those abbreviations are explained at the end of the document.
Untitled.png

If you are not sure if you will get a certain part through TÜV, ask the seller for the papers and show them to your local TÜV station. They can give you a first estimate if it's possible.

If you don't mount the part by yourself, you can also ask your garage if they can TÜV the part after installation right away. Depending on the timeframe, money and part some will do it - others won't.
Bigger mechanic shops have a TÜV-like guy (called DEKRA or KÜS) who are also able to check certain parts - those will often visit those bigger shops on a weekly basis, so if you are lucky those can also help you out.
After you've been to the TÜV, they will tell you whether you need to go back to the car registration station to have the changes put into your papers (Fahrzeugschein). But this depends, e.g. for an ABE you do not need to do this, for a "Teilegutachten" you do.

Hope this helps a bit. I get sometimes confused as well, so I hope everything I stated is kinda correct.
Best way to deal with this mess: Ask questions! Ask the dealer you are buying from, ask the TÜV if this is a legal part, etc. But be prepared for mismatching answers! TÜV Station A might think its no issue, while TÜV Station B would never claim a certain part legal!

Last edited:

JAYtheVET

Apr 23, 2019
Germany
The link posted by Felix sums it up quite good.

In general you can follow this principle:
1. Before purchasing the part check the papers. Is it ABE, ECE compliant? Has it a "Teilegutachten"? Or maybe something else? You definitely need some kind of paper to put it through TÜV in a time and cost effective manner.
2. (Ignore for ECE and ABE) Read through the paper. Usually it is a "Teilegutachten" and it should list your car. If your car is in the papers, check on the right hand side for specific things which the TÜV will look for (on wheels it's usually that they don't rub and the wheels can turn properly). Some TÜV guys will check if your car is compliant for these notes, other don't really bother. It depends on the TÜV guy who checks your car.

Sample of those "specific things" (called "Auflagen"). See the right hand side (K1a, A01, A12, etc.). Those abbreviations are explained at the end of the document.
View attachment 13148

If you are not sure if you will get a certain part through TÜV, ask the seller for the papers and show them to your local TÜV station. They can give you a first estimate if it's possible.

If you don't mount the part by yourself, you can also ask your garage if they can TÜV the part after installation right away. Depending on the timeframe, money and part some will do it - other won't.
Bigger mechanic shops have a TÜV-like guy (called DEKRA or KÜS) who are also able to check certain parts - those will often visit those bigger shops on a weekly basis, so if you are lucky those can also help you out.
After you've been to the TÜV, they will tell you whether you need to go back to the car registration station to have the changes put into your papers (Fahrzeugschein). But this depends, e.g. for an ABE you do not need to do this, for a "Teilegutachten" you do.

Hope this helps a bit. I get sometimes confused as well, so I hope everything I stated is kinda correct.
Best way to deal with this mess: Ask questions! Ask the dealer you are buying from, ask the TÜV if this is a legal part, etc. But be prepared for mismatching answers! TÜV Station A might things its no issue, while TÜV Station B would never claim a certain part legal!
Thanks Bu11eT! This should get me started. I'll figure it out from there.

Reactions: Bu11eT

Felix

Jan 15, 2020
Germany
"air pipe, turbo intake, flex pipe, down pipe, Eibach springs and exhaust"
Only air pipe with ABE I know is the one from Gruppenzwang (be careful, lot's of people had a very bad experience with the seller). All others, e.g. HDT, Forge etc. don't provide any papers at all. Flexpipe is usually eintragungsfrei, downpipe needs proper papers and afaik there's nothing available for the gpf-models with paperwork out-of-the-box (Einzelabnahme might be possible), Eibach springs usually come with ABE and same applies to Miltek or Remus exhausts. You just need to make sure, that the parts are listed for your car.
In general: almost nothing from Forge is street-legal in Germany!

Felix

Jan 15, 2020
Germany
I forgot to mention that dealing with TÜV staff might depend on air pressure, temperature and the mood of their wives.
Because of all the issues with the might or might not be legal airpipes I just skipped to buy one.

JAYtheVET

Apr 23, 2019
Germany
I forgot to mention that dealing with TÜV staff might depend on air pressure, temperature and the mood of their wives.
Because of all the issues with the might or might not be legal airpipes I just skipped to buy one.
Looks like I'll change back to the OEM before the TÜV. :)

JAYtheVET

Apr 23, 2019
Germany
I went ahead and ordered the turbo intake and air pipe from Gruppenzwang.

As far as the ordering concerns go I chose the pay on receipt option when ordering. If I'm unhappy with their up to 60 working day delivery time then I will just refuse the delivery.

Regarding the TÜV for both upgrades. I live in a populated area and I'm almost 40. I'm pretty sure I'll pass with an ABE. If not, I'll switch the car to whatever the bastards say and move on from there. They're bolt on parts that don't lose much value, I'll live.

Reactions: Bu11eT