• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Preparing for a trackday

Has anyone used the i30n track timer?
Yes, just the other day in preparation for late July track day. I did the bloke thing and just had a play without consulting the owners manual. The best advice I can give you is: just consult the manual first.

It will do the job and store data after the car is switched off. Sure I'll reset it ASAP after the meet to remove evidence of how slow my times are :).

Reactions: EssEll
@EssEll Do you know what the noise levels are on your V5? I'm interested to know because mine are 108 stationary and 71 drive-by, but I've no idea what exhaust mode was used to measure them! I'm guessing/hoping Sport+.
I'm looking to do my first track day at Bedford in August and don't want to get caught out with the noise limit being 101.

Great write-up and advice aswell, thanks!

Reactions: EssEll
108..!! Wow that's high. Wonder if that's the full crack (said the actress...). I'll check my V5...

Re: noise at Bedford, I just left the exhaust in 'Normal' (everything else in Sport+) and it was 4db under, which is basically as quiet as anything that will turn up on the day. Almost certainly fine in Sport mode too... Sport+ would definitely have been a problem with the pops and cracks! There's no risk of problems with the noise limit though - all good.

Glad you found the write up helpful!

@EssEll Do you know what the noise levels are on your V5? I'm interested to know because mine are 108 stationary and 71 drive-by, but I've no idea what exhaust mode was used to measure them! I'm guessing/hoping Sport+.
I'm looking to do my first track day at Bedford in August and don't want to get caught out with the noise limit being 101.

Great write-up and advice aswell, thanks!

Reactions: CrazyCraig
108..!! Wow that's high. Wonder if that's the full crack (said the actress...). I'll check my V5...

Re: noise at Bedford, I just left the exhaust in 'Normal' (everything else in Sport+) and it was 4db under, which is basically as quiet as anything that will turn up on the day. Almost certainly fine in Sport mode too... Sport+ would definitely have been a problem with the pops and cracks! There's no risk of problems with the noise limit though - all good.

Glad you found the write up helpful!

On Rudskogen in Norway the noise level is max 100 dB measured 1 meter 45 degrees out from the exhaust at 4500 RPM. Car passed easily in N-mode.

A Porsche 911 GT3 is LOUDER when they really are going :). Most of the high performance cars are actually louder, based on drive-by noise on the long straight.

Ha the smile this car's noise gives people is infectious!

They're especially aware of noise at Bedford and also have two points on the track where it is measured. The marshalls were very decent - not officious etc - but were definitely paying attention. . I personally was keen to avoid the risk completely.

Want to get to Snetterton... how did you find it?

Eco mode for the test, N mode for as long as you can get away with it.

I used N mode all day at Snetterton no problems, including the test. Not sure if the pop happens after they have taken the reading, he did have a big grin as he’s passed it.

Nice.

Ha yeah I bet the GT3 is seriously loud! I did get a comment from one of the other drivers on the 2nd track day that my car (in Normal mode) was the quietest there that day. So Sports exhaust mode would be fine I reckon.

On Rudskogen in Norway the noise level is max 100 dB measured 1 meter 45 degrees out from the exhaust at 4500 RPM. Car passed easily in N-mode.

A Porsche 911 GT3 is LOUDER when they really are going :). Most of the high performance cars are actually louder, based on drive-by noise on the long straight.

Want to get to Snetterton... how did you find it?

Brilliant. I knew the track as been in my last car, Octavia VRS. Cannot compare the cars really but the N was perfect.

Cornering, braking traction out of the bends all felt brilliant. Car seems to pivot from the middle in bends feels like the rear is helping you round.

No issues with the brakes, I do about 4-5 laps at a time - Ish.

Damp morning , dry afternoon. Great to feel how the car operates under both conditions.

Loved it!

Not to hijack the thread, but just wanted to say big thanks to everyone who helped out with info and EssEll in particular :)

I had my first ever track day and it was just as fun as I thought.

Even got some fast 30 min training arranged so that helped to understand the breaking and turning points a lot better, and well technique in general.

All in all I was quite amateur about it all, not messing around much with some settings or trying to be the fastest around, just to get to feel the car and have some fun. It does bring out a whole different personality when you put it on track.

They had a noise limit of 110 so they didn't even bother with noise check.

Ended up using trackaddict app, but i only discovered how to overlay vido with the data back at home in the evening, so that's something for next time. (also that time is a bit off from the official time, but still usable )

I do have one question - previous day they were having a drift competition there so all the track was with melted rubber that got stuck to the tires, nto a big thing, though had to be more careful cornering. My question is - it's gonna come out if the tire by itself, from the threads, right? or do i need to try to scrape it out?
MVIMG_20190609_173130.jpg