• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Power oversteer

Boxxer

Nthusiast
Jun 23, 2021
Cascais, Portugal
So, this is weird. But then again, it seems to be something we've seen in several videos about the I20N.

I found the car will oversteer while accelerating through a corner. It happened to me once and I'm able to replicate it whenever I want.
I enter a right hand turn (Portugal, left hand drive car) at about 60Kph (around 38mph) and I start accelerating. It's a long turn and with a fixed radius, so I'm accelerating at a steady pace and I keep the wheel locked. When I hit 90Kph (about 55mph) the back starts to go ever so gently and the tyres begin to squeal, so I end up lifting slightly from the gas and applying opposite lock to regain control.

But I always wonder if it's just the car's normal behaviour and if it would hold if I didn't correct, or just kept accelerating. Would it snap?
What are your thoughts on this? Or experiences?

JoeyPropane

Nthusiast
Aug 5, 2021
Cambridge, UK
It's a light car, with a very grippy front end, so I imagine spirited driving would make the rear axle slip well before the front (with the weight of an engine and the diff helping).

If it's controllable and predictable, sounds like a win to me!

Boxxer

Nthusiast
Jun 23, 2021
Cascais, Portugal
Yes, that's exactly what's happening, even though it's not that normal for it to happen while on the gas. Usually it happens when you come off the gas mid corner.
What I haven't found out until now is whether it won't slide much more than this (so I don't need to correct anything and just let it point itself towards the exit of the corner) or if it will slide some more and require some correction.

In other words, will it settle itself if I do nothing, or doing nothing will end up in a spin?
And what's the role ESP is doing here? This happened in N mode with ESP in Sport.

Goran

Sep 29, 2021
Germany
ESP in Sport is giving you some room for slippage, but should catch you and correct the car sooner or later. Best to try on a circular skid pad in a vehicle safety driving course.

Boxxer

Nthusiast
Jun 23, 2021
Cascais, Portugal
ESP in Sport is giving you some room for slippage, but should catch you and correct the car sooner or later. Best to try on a circular skid pad in a vehicle safety driving course.
Yes, the ESP was set to Sport (as opposed to entirely off) during those antics, and I was able to replicate it a couple of times and realized there's not a real danger of losing control. I won't do it with the ESP off because a public road is not the ideal place to try that, so I'll have to come up with a safer solution to experiment on it. Thanks.

Reactions: Goran