• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

POLL: Would you buy another N branded Hyundai again?

Would you buy another N branded Hyundai again?

• Total voters
I know all that, despite the size of the car, I could compare it to a Golf 7.5 TCR or Golf GTI 7.5 Performance, but personally I can relate only to the Polo and I wonder how some minor things can be done much better even on a cheaper car.
I can write down a list of things, if you can handle it, but it will probably ignite a flamewar, beucase most things are design and quality related.
Can I ask why you would choose a Polo GTI over a Fiesta ST?

I would take the Fiesta ST, for a raw track only toy, but I am doing 20kkm per year and daily commuting. I am now not going into the price difference. - But the fiesta is a good budget choice for people doing 70% track 30% daily.
The fiesta is fast and drives well, but I am looking also at other aspects of a car which youtubers/influencers are not talking about.

Support:
1. Big lack of dealerships in the region (Germany, same problem like Hyundai)
Mechanical aspect:
2. Some things on the Polo are well thought out, battery in the spare wheel well (back stability)
- also heard from a ST user, that the brakes could be bigger, they give in fast.
3. 3c 1.5 vs. 4c 2.0 - The fiesta engine is much more on the limit, not leaving much room for tuning improvement.
- the ecoboost engine has still some known flaws, software tuning is not as widely spread as for the EA888
- The 3rd gen EA888 in the polo is a well known, advanced and established, robust engine. Tuning experience and more headroom on every corner.
Daily use aspects:
4. The Interior in the polo is much more contemporary and aesthetic - I know its personal, but I have to do on a daily basis with stuff like that with architects and these things just matter to me. I could not live with the fiestas randomly thrown together buttons and display sticking out everywhere. Its just bad.
5. As mentioned above, I like manuals, but 70% daily commuting using DSG with ACC is just worth every peny.
6. Better speakers in the Polo.
7. Polo has protected backwards camera.
8. The wheel, door handles in the fiesta, just no. I know subjective, but look at it one more time.
9. The seating position is higher than in the polo, so your head will be more at the roof. I can better see trafic lights in the polo. - Subjective.

Too much compromises and I do not want to make the same mistake as with the i30N, jumping in on the youtube hype and left in the cold later. I just cant get this bitter feeling, why is so much Promotional marketing going on fot these cars on the internet using the same fancy buzzwords over and over again.
On the other side, the Polo GTI sells quietly and hace some really nice additional option in the konfiguration. The much more fun fact is, that the Polo line will be discontinued, because it was a too expensive car to produce on a different line and platform for the GTI model. Using expensive stuff from the Golf and being put in the Polo.

If you PM me I can list you the flaws nobody talks about of the i30N, for most people do not matter and are overlooked.
Don´t crucify me please !

If you PM me I can list you the flaws nobody talks about of the i30N, for most people do not matter and are overlooked.

Well why wouldn't you list these flaws publicly?
I sure could think of some right now.
It's actually ontopic.

If you like I can move the relevant posts to a "Polo GTi Vs Fiesta ST" new topic in Other Marques section. Then everyone can go at it in there instead?

This thread is a poll about buying another Hyundai N product, not what other car you'd quite like or think is way superior.
We'll be going on forever 😂

@m0LN4rius feel free to say why you wouldn't get one again (specific to Hyundai only), that is the point of the topic?!

One more interesting info I had the chance to collect:
3c 1.5 Ecoboost stock 150-220 = 25-26s (jumpy at higher speeds)
4c 2.0 EA888 stock 150-220 = 19-20s (smoother at higher speeds) very little tuning and i30N level.

i30N Rant list, things I notice, compared to my GTI Higline Sport equipped Polo 1.8t (Early 2017 MJ) in comparison to i30N, please keep in mind the 5-6k price difference in favor to the fully packed Polo GTI.

What was better in the Polo:
1. The weight as of more stable in small corners, braking, wet handling - 1270kg imagine you take 300kg or 4 persons out of a fully packed i30N.
2. The shifter was a lot smoother even after 40.000km you could insert gears with one finger push. i30N no way its short but feels jagged.
3. It had Full LED front and back, inside, license plates. Really good sharp lights.
3. No windshield noise or whistle at high speeds compared to N.
4. I had definitelly much Better acoustics in the speakers. The sound was overall better.
5. The AC fans were quieter in automatic mode.
6. At 200km/h+ highway it was not as jumpy as the i30N
7. 3 Liters less consumption on the same roads, probably due to weight, aerodynamics and lack of bangs.
- The polo sits at 7L with incl. 2x track days + 1x NS - the i30N sits at 10L ATM no track, no NS
8. The windshield sprinkles were evenly spraying the whole windshield without problems even at higher speeds. The i30N does just a big blop on the lower side.
9. No wiper stucking and clean wiping at very high speeds better pressure point across all the wiper length. Aerodynamics?
10. Backwards camera protected from dirt. Something very important if you drive backwards every single day out.
11. Small compact hard chassy shell.
12. Bigger gap between comfort and sporty damper settings.
13. Very good 1500rpm low torque for daily commuting. No cold start jerking the first minute in winter like the N.
14. Due to less weight, did change brake pads first at 45.000km and after 2 track days even burnt them in at 30.000 and after 5000km they were good again. Better materials?
15. It also had XDS upgrade, so the difference to the i30n slip differencial was minimal.
16. Cheaper and wider tuning support for the ECUs at every corner.
17. Chasssis gap dimension were a lot better and more even, on my i30N they are just random everywhere.
18. Rubber sealings, plastic parts around doors windows, better in generall.
19. Very good design for weight distribution, putting the car battery in the spare wheel well.
20. Because it is a smaller and lighter car. Tyres and brakes are cheaper on the market.
21. Automatic Cruise Control, using it every day on the Highway.
22. Much more precise parking sensors at the front lip an lower areas.
*after 6 months I also notice how tidy and clean the interior was, not just random 19 diferent button designs thrown there and sticking out everywhere like in the N.

Costs (south germany after 2019):
i30N every 10.000km oil change, local official hyundai dealers 280 Euros, which is 560 a year for me, since +20kkm/year.
Drive belts 90.000 and after that every 30.000 -
vs.
For the polo I had a service contract for 19,90.-Euros a Month, which included all necesary services once a year. So 1x oil change per year 239.-Euros. Or without contract every 25-30.000km (yes I know, but if it were that bad they would not extend me the warranty to 5 Years and 150.000km)
Drive belts only every 90.000km

Realistically Hyundai has 5 Years warranty with unlimited km, but. Additional 3 Years for my GTI cost me only 680 Euro. And the unlimited km of HY is just marketing realistically speaking. There are not much drivers who do more than 30.000km per Year and if you have bad dealers, incopetent mechanics, the warranty does not mean much.

I had two warranty claims on my Polo, due to my little "mistake" and it was fixed, without any discussion, replacement car at no extra cost every time for unlimited period. Hyundai wants to rent me one :(

PS: I know it is a smaller car, but hey I am driving 90% alone and it was 5-6K cheaper. Hyundai dealers offer here a Lease with 4% pay tax, VW has 2%. Just for additional info, since last september VW Bank offered even 9,90/Months service ocntract and 0,99% lease pay tax because of corona.

Thats my story and opinion, but If admin thinks its too much and could initiate a flame war, please delete it.

I would take the Fiesta ST, for a raw track only toy, but I am doing 20kkm per year and daily commuting. I am now not going into the price difference. - But the fiesta is a good budget choice for people doing 70% track 30% daily.
The fiesta is fast and drives well, but I am looking also at other aspects of a car which youtubers/influencers are not talking about.

Support:
1. Big lack of dealerships in the region (Germany, same problem like Hyundai)
Mechanical aspect:
2. Some things on the Polo are well thought out, battery in the spare wheel well (back stability)
- also heard from a ST user, that the brakes could be bigger, they give in fast.
3. 3c 1.5 vs. 4c 2.0 - The fiesta engine is much more on the limit, not leaving much room for tuning improvement.
- the ecoboost engine has still some known flaws, software tuning is not as widely spread as for the EA888
- The 3rd gen EA888 in the polo is a well known, advanced and established, robust engine. Tuning experience and more headroom on every corner.
Daily use aspects:
4. The Interior in the polo is much more contemporary and aesthetic - I know its personal, but I have to do on a daily basis with stuff like that with architects and these things just matter to me. I could not live with the fiestas randomly thrown together buttons and display sticking out everywhere. Its just bad.
5. As mentioned above, I like manuals, but 70% daily commuting using DSG with ACC is just worth every peny.
6. Better speakers in the Polo.
7. Polo has protected backwards camera.
8. The wheel, door handles in the fiesta, just no. I know subjective, but look at it one more time.
9. The seating position is higher than in the polo, so your head will be more at the roof. I can better see trafic lights in the polo. - Subjective.

Too much compromises and I do not want to make the same mistake as with the i30N, jumping in on the youtube hype and left in the cold later. I just cant get this bitter feeling, why is so much Promotional marketing going on fot these cars on the internet using the same fancy buzzwords over and over again.
On the other side, the Polo GTI sells quietly and hace some really nice additional option in the konfiguration. The much more fun fact is, that the Polo line will be discontinued, because it was a too expensive car to produce on a different line and platform for the GTI model. Using expensive stuff from the Golf and being put in the Polo.

It’s pretty obvious you’ve never driven a FiST, I’ve driven both and I’m sorry but the Polo is boring as bat shit, too sterile for me, and no manual option in a hot hatch is ridiculous, the Fiesta wipes the floor with it, far more engaging car, much better chassis, way better handling, its best in its class for a reason, I’m yet to see a comparison yet where the Polo comes out on top? and as for the engine is at its limits? Well I’d suggest you take a little look around the internet, some people are getting over 300bhp out of it, so no room for improvement my ass..

Reactions: Crocoman
Main reason for me not knowing if I'll go Hyundai again are the EU regulations heavily limiting the possibility to modify the car.

Also: I possibly want something with pop-up headlights... Like a Honda NSX...

Reactions: Bu11eT
It’s pretty obvious you’ve never driven a FiST, I’ve driven both and I’m sorry but the Polo is boring as bat shit, too sterile for me, and no manual option in a hot hatch is ridiculous, the Fiesta wipes the floor with it, far more engaging car, much better chassis, way better handling, its best in its class for a reason, I’m yet to see a comparison yet where the Polo comes out on top? and as for the engine is at its limits? Well I’d suggest you take a little look around the internet, some people are getting over 300bhp out of it, so no room for improvement my ass..
Listen slowly, which part of fiesta is a nice raw track toy did you not understand and in corelation to this the other things I have written?
best in its clas depends on how you define the word "best" or what does it mean to you.
300bhp nice, just imagine what could you do with a fiesta with 2.0 and one more cylinder its 100bhp per cylinder easy no matter what brand. Jesus.

I knew it will backfire, but it is like that. Try to read as a whole and not piece by piece.

" I’m sorry but the Polo is boring as bat shit, too sterile for me " - yeah well I can understand, but thats why I said its a personal opinion, I just like that a car has good daily qualities and the Fiesta is just too jumpy on the Autobahn at higher speeds, it just going rt-tt-t-t--t-t-t-t after 170km/h like crazy.

But I did not say that you are wrong. If you like that feeling and do not care about other aspects, which I mentioned, go for it!
But please do not talk to me like that. I am always looking at products from different angles, not just "fun" angles if you would understand. It is in my nature of work.
PS: I actually know a lot of Hungarian guys with Fiestas and they are good, but they are also objective and can pin point out the small ecoboost problems they are having at high mileage. Too bad everything is not on the internet and popular Youtubers talking about it.
Thats one more reason I have my own view and not some manipulated one from YT and other influencers. I did this mistake only one time.

Reactions: LordPave
Gents, lets calm down just a little, please and let the testosterone settle. No need to have a kerfuffle over either the Ford Fiesta or VW GTI. Neither has any direct relationship with this thread or purchasing another Hyundai there of.

Not a moderator but I can see where this is going. A good; YES, NO or MAYBE suffices quite nicely.:)👍

Reactions: Jepper and Bu11eT
One more interesting info I had the chance to collect:
3c 1.5 Ecoboost stock 150-220 = 25-26s (jumpy at higher speeds)
4c 2.0 EA888 stock 150-220 = 19-20s (smoother at higher speeds) very little tuning and i30N level.

i30N Rant list, things I notice, compared to my GTI Higline Sport equipped Polo 1.8t (Early 2017 MJ) in comparison to i30N, please keep in mind the 5-6k price difference in favor to the fully packed Polo GTI.

1. The weight as of more stable in small corners, braking, wet handling - 1270kg imagine you take 300kg or 4 persons out of a fully packed i30N.
2. The shifter was a lot smoother even after 40.000km you could insert gears with one finger push. i30N no way its short but feels jagged.
3. It had Full LED front and back, inside, license plates. Really good sharp lights.
4. I had definitelly much Better acoustics in the speakers. The sound was overall better.
5. The AC fans were quieter in automatic mode.
7. 3 Liters less consumption on the same roads, probably due to weight, aerodynamics and lack of bangs.
- The polo sits at 7L with incl. 2x track days + 1x NS - the i30N sits at 10L ATM no track, no NS
8. The windshield sprinkles were evenly spraying the whole windshield without problems even at higher speeds. The i30N does just a big blop on the lower side.
9. No wiper stucking and clean wiping at very high speeds better pressure point across all the wiper length. Aerodynamics?
10. Backwards camera protected from dirt. Something very important if you drive backwards every single day out.
13. Very good 1500rpm low torque for daily commuting. No cold start jerking the first minute in winter like the N.
14. Due to less weight, did change brake pads first at 45.000km and after 2 track days even burnt them in at 30.000 and after 5000km they were good again. Better materials?
15. It also had XDS upgrade, so the difference to the i30n slip differencial was minimal.
17. Chasssis gap dimension were a lot better and more even, on my i30N they are just random everywhere.
19. Very good design for weight distribution, putting the car battery in the spare wheel well.
20. Because it is a smaller and lighter car. Tyres and brakes are cheaper on the market.
*after 6 months I also notice how tidy and clean the interior was, not just random 19 diferent button designs thrown there and sticking out everywhere like in the N.

Costs (south germany after 2019):
i30N every 10.000km oil change, local official hyundai dealers 280 Euros, which is 560 a year for me, since +20kkm/year.
Drive belts 90.000 and after that every 30.000 -
vs.
For the polo I had a service contract for 19,90.-Euros a Month, which included all necesary services once a year. So 1x oil change per year 239.-Euros. Or without contract every 25-30.000km (yes I know, but if it were that bad they would not extend me the warranty to 5 Years and 150.000km)
Drive belts only every 90.000km

Realistically Hyundai has 5 Years warranty with unlimited km, but. Additional 3 Years for my GTI cost me only 680 Euro. And the unlimited km of HY is just marketing realistically speaking. There are not much drivers who do more than 30.000km per Year and if you have bad dealers, incopetent mechanics, the warranty does not mean much.

I had two warranty claims on my Polo, due to my little "mistake" and it was fixed, without any discussion, replacement car at no extra cost every time for unlimited period. Hyundai wants to rent me one :(

PS: I know it is a smaller car, but hey I am driving 90% alone and it was 5-6K cheaper. Hyundai dealers offer here a Lease with 4% pay tax, VW has 2%. Just for additional info, since last september VW Bank offered even 9,90/Months service ocntract and 0,99% lease pay tax because of corona.

Thats my story and opinion, but If admin thinks its too much and could initiate a flame war, please delete it.

There is some points I can relate to and some I can't.

Windshield sprinklers seem fine to me, but the reached area is strongly depending on the speed you are going.

For the wiper blades. The ones the car get's delivered with are bad for higher speeds.
I changed mine to Bosch Aero Twin's which fixed the issue for me.

The jumpiness at 200+ ist something I can't relate to even in N mode it feels fine to me.
For me it's the lower speeds 70-80 where it feels jumpy. Thats's were I have to switch to Sport instead of N.

There is also some points I would call obvious, like lower costs for tires, less fuel consumption etc. The Polo is a totaly different car in size and weight.

None of the points you mentioned have been a secret. A lot have been discussed on different platforms.

So may I ask what made you buy the car anyway?

I can't get my head around the Idea of buying a car and than beeing mostly negativ about it.

Reactions: LordPave
Listen slowly, which part of fiesta is a nice raw track toy did you not understand and in corelation to this the other things I have written?
best in its clas depends on how you define the word "best" or what does it mean to you.
300bhp nice, just imagine what could you do with a fiesta with 2.0 and one more cylinder its 100bhp per cylinder easy no matter what brand. Jesus.

I knew it will backfire, but it is like that. Try to read as a whole and not piece by piece.

" I’m sorry but the Polo is boring as bat shit, too sterile for me " - yeah well I can understand, but thats why I said its a personal opinion, I just like that a car has good daily qualities and the Fiesta is just too jumpy on the Autobahn at higher speeds, it just going rt-tt-t-t--t-t-t-t after 170km/h like crazy.

But I did not say that you are wrong. If you like that feeling and do not care about other aspects, which I mentioned, go for it!
But please do not talk to me like that. I am always looking at products from different angles, not just "fun" angles if you would understand. It is in my nature of work.
PS: I actually know a lot of Hungarian guys with Fiestas and they are good, but they are also objective and can pin point out the small ecoboost problems they are having at high mileage. Too bad everything is not on the internet and popular Youtubers talking about it.
Thats one more reason I have my own view and not some manipulated one from YT and other influencers. I did this mistake only one time.
It’s the 3 pot engine which gives the ST it’s character, it sounds unreal, but how much power do you want? It’s only 1200kgs and FWD, all you would get is wheel spin every time you touched the gas at 400bhp, all that power through the front wheels? No thanks..

I get you, but you do not get me - I was not talking only about performance at all, but please move on
I recommend Grand Tour Season 3, Episode 10 (15.3.2019)

Couple of questions from me:
- Point 7, what is "NS"?
- Point 11, can you please elaborate? I'm not sure about it, but do you mean its smaller and has a more compact chassis and body?

Beyond that, I think I can agree or understand the ones I've left above - the others are either not applicable to me, or I dont agree with (but are not deal breakers).

You're not wrong to feel the way you do about the i30N vs the Polo GTi. And, not as a criticism of you, but if you ended up buying into the hype of the i30N, then I can also understand your annoyances a bit more.

At the end of the day, buying any of the cars in the segment is always going to result in sacrifices in one dimension or another. I tested all the cars in the segment I could reasonably afford (i30N, Golf GTi, Golf R, Megane RS and Trophy, Civic Type-R - no AMG A35/A45, Audi S3 or M135, these tend to be massively overpriced here in AU and well outside my budget) and to be honest, every single one of them was massively compromised in one form or another. At the end of the day, I chose the i30N and whilst I'm reasonably happy with it, my biggest gripe is that I should have chosen a DCT car.

It is interesting how people choose their cars and what they value. Thats probably a thread in its own right, getting everyone to put to paper what the values are in the cars they want. I imagine quite a few of us have conflicting desires and its a bit of an effort to balance them and find something appropriate (e.g. I absolutely LOVE fast wagons, so me buying a hatch was a bit of a weird one until you factor in costs. The only genuinely good wagons I want tend to be from BMW, Merc or Audi, and as I mentioned above, they're super expensive here. Case in point, a base RS6 is ~$250k AUD/160.5k Euro/189.5k USD)

Reactions: Bu11eT
I opinions and decision is listed below..
I am pretty disgusted with the prices and the mark up that Hyundai are charging for parts.
The one thing that I have invested in, are 2 door mirrors which I got from ebay for a very good price of £300 the pair. Now that might seem expensive, but Hyundai quoted me £1250 to supply, paint and fit just 1 door mirror. Fortunately I didn't need any, but my wife's car is an i30 N-Line and so has the same mirrors, so how can they justify £2500 for just 2 door mirrors on a £21,000 N-Line car?
I am convinced that some of our beloved N's are being wrote-off by insurance companies, due to the repair bill being classed as "Beyond Economical Repair" due to the extortionate prices for parts, rather than the vehicle actually being damaged beyond repair.
I am sure that a fellow member had an unfortunate incident in which his front valance engine cover got broken and Hyundai wanted around £450 for a piece of plastic.
I wish that there was somewhere where we could post our concerns to Hyundai management where they could read this and understand where they are going wrong and potentially losing current customers.
I have had 4 Hyundai's now over the last 10 years and have been happy with all of them.

Car:- So "Definately" if my decision was based on the car and the enjoyment that I get from driving it.
Parts:- But "3" if based on price of parts and price to repair.
Overall Decision:- "Maybe" as I have found a good dealership and are happy with them, but 2 other dealerships I have been very disappointed with.

The fastback is my favourite out of all the cars I have owned to date.
Would I buy it again?, probably not.
I don't like the styling on new Hyundai's. Fastback is no longer an option in Aus.
ICE vehicles will fade into obscurity in the next decade or two.
I'm not liking how they are slapping the N badge onto every model.
It's a toy car through and through. Not normally something I would purchase.

I'll keep this car as long as possible. Then I'll get an electric car that does 0-100 in 3 seconds or less.

I'm hoping this beauty lasts me over a decade.

Reactions: Stash-N
Cars are like women, there is no one definite one better than the other. Everyone is unique in character and the associated package.

For me, maybe. I have a lifelong mantra and that is to try different brands for every new car, but that car has to offer the best package at the time.

If Hyundai offers something better at the time, then I would not hesitate to stay with the brand.

I really don't care much about dealers because they are all the same ( like strip club girls and estate agents). Once the money is paid they just tell you to enjoy the coffee ad serve someone else. As soon as the transaction is done I am out of the place. So it is up to me to find the best deal, be it financial or enjoyment. I won't rely on their service quality.

Apart from the seasonal alarm issue ( still on going) my N had no other issues. I guess I haven't driven it hard enough to notice other issues yet.

PS:
I forgot to mention one thing. I would be willing to do a trade if there would be a Veloster N 275HP with Project C parts in Europe.
As my aproximate calculation goes it would be a 1350kg car and I really like the 3 door design of it.

Reactions: NULLOBANDITO
Much as I like the car... probably wont be looking at buying another. Like a number of others, I prefer to try different make/models. Plus the steering weight doesn't suit me (quite aware that it's fine for most folks) and the dire turning circle drives me to distraction at times! My previous car (mk 3.5 Focus ST) also had a rack limiter, but the one on the I30N is even more extreme. It's got the turning circle of an oil tanker! Great once on the move and a "real" drivers car though.