• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Pirelli P-Zero "HN"

JoeyPropane

Nthusiast
Aug 5, 2021
Cambridge, UK
So the Pirelli's on N cars are supposedly "specifically developed" for these cars, does that mean easy and quick replacements are difficult to find? Anyone wondering if it's a good idea to order a couple in advance and store them away in case of unlucky punctures? I haven't had the best of luck in the past, don't want to risk being off the road for a week or 2 while a supplier has to order them in...

Really? Most of the reviews say they are a near perfect match for the chassis - plenty of grip, predictable slip. I don't expect them to last much more than 10-12k miles, but what soft rubber does?

Reactions: RollandSmoke
In my experience with my i30N I really did not like them (again I’m not alone, the tyre thread is full of it) and changing them was the best thing I did. Wheel hop and the LSD stuff is gone. I think in warmer climates they’re probably better, maybe?

I’m tempted to ask the dealers to take mine off my current one and put them on my new one when I collect it. When we pick the i20N up we’ll see, it may be better, but I’m not so sure.

Reactions: GazmaN
In Spain, with the climate we have in the Mediterranean, they were fine in the i30 N. I didn't notice any wheel hop. And the tyres lasted very well, almost 40,000 km (a lot of motorway). That said, when it was time to change them I put the PS4S and they were better, more comfortable and less noisy.

I don't know what I'll put on the FL when the PZero are worn out, but I want to try other tyres.

Really? Most of the reviews say they are a near perfect match for the chassis - plenty of grip, predictable slip. I don't expect them to last much more than 10-12k miles, but what soft rubber does?
Get rid of ASAP terrible tyres in the dry they Are average at best and in the damp or wet just spin up or shudder violently.
don’t understand why Hyundai would put them on in the first place.

Last edited:
In my experience with my i30N I really did not like them (again I’m not alone, the tyre thread is full of it) and changing them was the best thing I did. Wheel hop and the LSD stuff is gone. I think in warmer climates they’re probably better, maybe?

I’m tempted to ask the dealers to take mine off my current one and put them on my new one when I collect it. When we pick the i20N up we’ll see, it may be better, but I’m not so sure.
Yep the i30 just has to much torque for them to handle absolutely shocking tyres.
They may work better on the i20,if not I’ll just bin them for a set of Michelin ps4s.

Yep the i30 just has to much torque for them to handle absolutely shocking tyres.
They may work better on the i20,if not I’ll just bin them for a set of Michelin ps4s.

On mine it’s pulling off my driveway in the morning, have to go to full lock and that noise 🤢 PS4s basically stopped that, even well into winter when it’s very cold.

Although being fair I managed 21k on the fronts and 44k on the rears on the Pirelli’s 😂

and to the other part of the original question , not a good idea to buy tyres and store for just in case. Rubber degrades over time even without being used so you might end up wasting money, especially buying a pair of them.

You can repair small punctures and in the unlikely event of having bigger damage and can't find replacement , you can always buy a pair of a different pair of tyres. (so many recommendations in relevant thread in this forum).

Reactions: _Emma
Interesting, cheers for the info guys - I wonder if the much lighter kerb weight is part of the reason why none of the video/website reviews have mentioned the stock tyres in a negative way.

I guess its a case of seeing how we get on, and if anything does go wrong or doesn't feel quite right/to liking, there's always PS4's readily available!

Pirellis are fine for me, but we do have a warmer summers here.
Based on recomendations, next tires will likely be michelins, if I dont buy some korean UHP tires to se if they're good. :)

P Zeros are oem on some Porsche and ,coincidentally,my daughter’s S3 came on them as did her partner’s M340i estate.
They come towards the top in various tyre reviews for both their wet and dry performance…BUT such tests will be carried out in normal temperatures and there are many complaints on forums that their grip drops off badly in cold weather,such as we experience in UK winters.
I wouldn’t replace with the same,especially if the HN marked ones are at a premium price.

My summer tires will be ... Since 215/40/18 is way to narrow for 8J18 OZ wheels ... I have already lightly scratched winter PROLINEs with 215/40/19 winter tires :cool:

1636017380875.png
Bridgestone Potenza Sport 235/40 ZR18 (95Y) XL

What's the N communities take on the Eagle f1 tyres? I hear people have been saying they are a more budget friendly alternative to the ps4. Seem to be something I might look at in the future personally but wanted to see what others think of em.

and to the other part of the original question , not a good idea to buy tyres and store for just in case. Rubber degrades over time even without being used so you might end up wasting money, especially buying a pair of them.

You can repair small punctures and in the unlikely event of having bigger damage and can't find replacement , you can always buy a pair of a different pair of tyres. (so many recommendations in relevant thread in this forum).
I'm glad someone said it as if tyres are not stored correctly they degrade and become a waste of money.

Worry bout tyres when you need them but I found the ride on the HN tyre crashy. Changed to ps4s's and gained more grip, confidence and for comfort.

What's the N communities take on the Eagle f1 tyres? I hear people have been saying they are a more budget friendly alternative to the ps4. Seem to be something I might look at in the future personally but wanted to see what others think of em.
Also decent. Either the F1 or ps4's are great.

Put a couple on my front just the other week. The terrible ackerman skip that I got from the P-zero's on full steering lock, has totally gone. Plus they do seem (at least to me) better in the colder / wet / greasy conditions that we are already experiencing in rural SW Scotland at the moment.

On mine it’s pulling off my driveway in the morning, have to go to full lock and that noise 🤢 PS4s basically stopped that, even well into winter when it’s very cold.

Although being fair I managed 21k on the fronts and 44k on the rears on the Pirelli’s 😂
Hi emma can I ask what sort of driving you do as my i20n in Australia has done less than 4k kms and the Pirelli's need to be rotated and don't look like they will last much beyond 10k may up to 15k at most?

Hi emma can I ask what sort of driving you do as my i20n in Australia has done less than 4k kms and the Pirelli's need to be rotated and don't look like they will last much beyond 10k may up to 15k at most?

I do a lot of motorway driving, so that helps a lot I think. That mileage was on my old i30N but we’ve done about 6k in both new ones, and they’re still pretty good.

Reactions: grcoops
OK so I queried Hyundai re the Tyres probably needing replacing before the first 10k service and the reply was they sent me a copy of the Tyre specs table from the manual and:

When replacing tyres, ALWAYS use the same size, type, brand, construction and tread pattern supplied with the vehicle. If not, it can damage the related parts or make it work irregularly.
You must also use TPMS specific wheels.
For your safety it is recommended that you always have your tyres serviced and replaced by an authorised Hyundai repairer, to ensure that the TPMS functions correctly. If the TPMS does not work properly, you may fail the periodic vehicle inspection conducted in your country.
For further information, please refer to the information listed in your user manual or speak with a Service Technician at your local Hyundai dealership.
You can find your nearest Hyundai dealer by visiting our website at https://www.hyundai.com/au/en/find-a-dealer.

Has anyone in Australia fitted alternate Tyres to date? i.e. Michelin PS4 or Goodyear Eagle F1 Sport