• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!
Well, the car won't sound so great as 2018 models. I know because yesterdey at scheduled service they updated something (software) in my 2018 model and it lost so much in sound departament. They made it more "refinded" probably, to get in line with newer models i suppose.

It doesn't sound dirty like it used to, it doesn't grumble. Bangs are quieter, I can't make it to triple bang at max revs on 2d gear, now it bangs at around 4.5-5k rpm, not as loud and spectacular. Also on idle it's quieter. And it used to bump revs when I went from 1st to neutral, now it doesn't.

I'm seriously pissed at them because it lost a LOT of character. I'm waiting for a callback from service, but I guess I won't achieve much.

And it used to bump revs when I went from 1st to neutral, now it doesn't.

Afaik that’s not supposed to happen with any MY. Rev matching only works when switching from gear to gear but not into neutral and also not when stationary (e.g. shifting from second into first while you are already stopped at a red light).

The last post above is really concerning to the point I'd consider cancelling my order.

Well, hold your horses, it's possible that they just f**ked up something during service (I think it's unlikely since it was just an oil change service).
Also maybe hear it for yourself maybe you'll like it after all.

Afaik that’s not supposed to happen with any MY. Rev matching only works when switching from gear to gear but not into neutral and also not when stationary (e.g. shifting from second into first while you are already stopped at a red light).

Maybe, but mine did, it didnt rev it much, just a slight bump that made it grumble pleseantly.

Well, the car won't sound so great as 2018 models. I know because yesterdey at scheduled service they updated something (software) in my 2018 model and it lost so much in sound departament. They made it more "refinded" probably, to get in line with newer models i suppose.

It doesn't sound dirty like it used to, it doesn't grumble. Bangs are quieter, I can't make it to triple bang at max revs on 2d gear, now it bangs at around 4.5-5k rpm, not as loud and spectacular. Also on idle it's quieter. And it used to bump revs when I went from 1st to neutral, now it doesn't.

I'm seriously pissed at them because it lost a LOT of character. I'm waiting for a callback from service, but I guess I won't achieve much.
Are you sure they've updated software? There should be some sheet with done work or something. Can't imagine that they would really do something like this (ABSOLUTELY NO GO)

Maybe it's because of the ambient temp. atm? Or maybe the engine isn't warmed up as before? My car also have some good or better days (Performance, Sound, Feeling) - sometimes like random, sometimes because of different ambient temps or conditions. (Fog/ Heat/ Snow/ Air Pressure/ Fuel/ Temps/ Humidity/ Air Conditioner/ personal feeling/ Passengers/ Faster cars/ and so on...)

Would be definetly interessting if you could keep us updated with information about your case.

Are you sure they've updated software? There should be some sheet with done work or something. Can't imagine that they would really do something like this (ABSOLUTELY NO GO)

Maybe it's because of the ambient temp. atm? Or maybe the engine isn't warmed up as before? My car also have some good or better days (Performance, Sound, Feeling) - sometimes like random, sometimes because of different ambient temps or conditions. (Fog/ Heat/ Snow/ Air Pressure/ Fuel/ Temps/ Humidity/ Air Conditioner/ personal feeling/ and so on...)

Would be definetly interessting if you could keep us updated with information about your case.

I'm not sure. I don't have any confirmation from them, I'm waiting for a call.

I drove this car daily for last 5 months, I know how it sounds. It was always a joy to hear in loud mode.
It also sounded right last morning when I left it at service.
When I got it back my initial reaction was that they reset my CUSTOM settings or something, because when I changed it to CUSTOM it was just waaay quieter that usually.
Then I drove it like 30 minutes to be sure, and it was quiet, I double checked all the CUSTOM settings, I checked the N mode. I got it to temperature obviously.
Nope, still not the same as before, FFS max revs on 2nd and no bangs at all? When before it always banged loud when letting off the max revs at 2nd.
After getting back home I searched for some explanation, but I found nothing. I went for another ride to check if I'm crazy, but I was still dissapointed and angry.
Also at high speeds above 140kph in loud mode, the sound was getting a bit annoing so I ususually changed it to normal at highways etc. Not now, 150kph in loud mode and it's "alright".
Also outside temp is more or less the same here. And if the car would change it's character so much depending on enviroment, I would have noticed in the past 5 months.

So here are the possibilities:
1. I went crazy in a matter of a few hours
2. They updated some software
3. They fucked up something by mistake
4. They reset something and it needs time to get back to previous state.

To me most likely is option 2.

Last edited:
I'm not sure. I don't have any confirmation from them, I'm waiting for a call.

I drove this car daily for last 5 months, I know how it sounds. It was always a joy to hear in loud mode.
It also sounded right last morning when I left it at service.
When I got it back my initial reaction was that they reset my CUSTOM settings or something, because when I changed it to CUSTOM it was just waaay quieter that usually.
Then I drove it like 30 minutes to be sure, and it was quiet, I double checked all the CUSTOM settings, I checked the N mode. I got it to temperature obviously.
Nope, still not the same as before, FFS max revs on 2nd and no bangs at all? When before it always banged loud when letting off the max revs at 2nd.
After getting back home I searched for some explanation, but I found nothing. I went for another ride to check if I'm crazy, but I was still dissapointed and angry.
Also at high speeds above 140kph in loud mode, the sound was getting a bit annoing so I ususually changed it to normal at highways etc. Not now, 150kph in loud mode and it's "alright".
Also outside temp is more or less the same here. And if the car would change it's character so much depending on enviroment, I would have noticed in the past 5 months.

So here are the possibilities:
1. I went crazy in a matter of a few hours
2. They updated some software
3. They fucked up something by mistake
4. They reset something and it needs time to get back to previous state.

To me most likely is option 2.

Is your exhaust valve opening/closing correctly?

Surely they wouldn't go out to change the noise? I mean every review I've seen has praised the sound as one of the stand out factors of the car so why knobble it!

Well, I have a problem with rear muffler and it was changed under warrenty, after that it is quiter, and I can't do anything because they have only the new rear mufflers :(

I had my car seem quieter after first service. It seemed they disconnected the battery and did an update on the media system but nothing on the engine side of things. It seems it's reset a few things and about 800 miles later it's back to nearly itself again with the pops and bangs

I had my car seem quieter after first service. It seemed they disconnected the battery and did an update on the media system but nothing on the engine side of things. It seems it's reset a few things and about 800 miles later it's back to nearly itself again with the pops and bangs

Hmm, I'm gonna have a 2000 mile trip starting this weekend so I'll check and report.

So service contacted me, and they say they didn't update any software and escpecially ECU software. It's not standard procedure to update software unless it's some kind of widespread service action.
So I'm puzzled and I can only wait and see if it comes back to it's angry self.

I have since picked my car up and although I haven't ran it in yet the exhaust note sounds sweet in N mode so I'm sure it will pop and bang plenty. Thanks for the updates everyone.