• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Paint peeling

R Veloster N said:
I'd take this up with Hyundai Assurance UK directly and file a complaint.
Thanks for the advice! If I get nowhere tomorrow I’ll go down that route for sure!
No you won't, there is no such thing as "Hyundai Assurance UK". R Veloster N is still labouring under the illusion that in the UK we are treated to the same legal protections as Hyundai has to have in place in the US. Instead they grind you down at the dealers, then the different dealer, then the Hyundai 'customer service', rinse and repeat until it is not worth the hassle for what looks like a £100 repair.

Hyundai Customer Service UK, is the same as; Hyundai Assurance in the US. I just happen to utilize the common vernacular, it's habit. They both accomplish the same taskings, issues and customer complaints. Rather they do it well or not, is simply an owners assessment. :)

Don't accept defeat, until the battle is over. There's always some type of victory at hand. 👍

Last edited:
There’s pictures of the factory where bumpers are made that @carlssontae shared in another thread...I think he means that’s where the bumper was painted originally not that it’s been repainted since

Aaah that makes more sense to me as well now. Didn’t think it had been resprayed. My dealer certainly hadn’t said anything about it. I’ll do a last update once it’s been resprayed.

I talked with our quality assurance director, and he told me three things could have caused this. Manufacturer (our) defect, dealer repaint (after accident or something), or caustic chemicals that weaken the clearcoat. Looking at the pictures he thinks it's from chemicals. (If there was any chance that it could be manufacturer's defect, we would have sent you a new bumper, since going to the dealer and making a warranty claim would hurt our quality score with Hyundai manufacturing.)

That's why I'm leaning more towards the use of the use of a DA during paint protection application. If the clear top coat was burnt due to uneven application pressure, it will cause a thin area in the clear top coat and expose the paint to accelerated weathering and wear.

Either, needs tp be warranted by the dealership/Hyundai as a paint defect and certainly not owner damage. :)

Reactions: carlssontae
I have had my front bumper actually repainted due to coating and a bit of paint coming off on one of the arches. Though that was definitely by my own fault and you could clearly see that it was struck by something where it began to peel off. (was a Rimblade un-gluing itself while going around 130 km/h, so definitely my own fault)
But the damage there was clearly visible and the source, not like for you.

QUOTE: " Looking at the pictures he thinks it's from chemicals. "

Does he mean some sort of cleaning agent that you could put in a bucket of warm water for washing your car?
Frankly I don't think anyone is daft enough to use Nitric acid!

Bit odd if it was from applying the GardX. As it appears (I assume) to be limited to the one place (IE. the front bumper). Though I do agree that this sort of damage can be done with over enthusiastic use of an orbital polisher (done it myself once on an old car).

My money is one a straight forward paint defect when the bumper was originally painted.

Hope you get it sorted OK. Good luck.

PS. So many dealers in this country only want one thing... and that's your money when you originally purchase the car. After that, you can sod off.

Reactions: MarkMark
And my money is on the car being damaged whilst it was in the possession of the stealership, hence the reason it is a 2019 car and only 50 miles on the clock. It was repainted by the stealership, and their 2 bob painters did a shite job. Hyundai (the company) will take one look, then one measurement, the thickness of the paint (aftermarket paint jobs are ALWAYS thicker than factory robot spraying), and say "that has been resprayed, not our problem". The stealership doesn't want to own up to the car having been damaged in their possession, and then selling you a "new" car. Happens ALL the time....