• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Paint peeling

RemcoV

Feb 29, 2020
Hellevoetsluis
You mean it is only 3 months old? This cannot happen, ever! Maybe on a 20 year old car yes.

But, I think it is hard to prove that it's a factory default or that it is caused by something else like a very aggressive chemical.

Bambly

Jul 2, 2020
UK
You mean it is only 3 months old? This cannot happen, ever! Maybe on a 20 year old car yes.

But, I think it is hard to prove that it's a factory default or that it is caused by something else like a very aggressive chemical.
Glad to hear it’s not something that’s normal!

Its a 19 Reg but I bought it from Hyundai 3 months ago with 50 miles on the clock. They are saying it’s stone chips so not covered under warranty. I think it’s clearly not chips and is a defect in the clear coat. I even got the Guard - X paint protection. It’s only ever been hand washed by myself with soap and water as well. Going to my dealership tomorrow to talk to them about it.

RemcoV

Feb 29, 2020
Hellevoetsluis
Glad to hear it’s not something that’s normal!

Its a 19 Reg but I bought it from Hyundai 3 months ago with 50 miles on the clock. They are saying it’s stone chips so not covered under warranty. I think it’s clearly not chips and is a defect in the clear coat. I even got the Guard - X paint protection. It’s only ever been hand washed by myself with soap and water as well. Going to my dealership tomorrow to talk to them about it.
Are they really saying that? Really? FFS! They are nuts.... man I would be pissed if they told such a BS story.

Bambly

Jul 2, 2020
UK
Are they really saying that? Really? FFS! They are nuts.... man I would be pissed if they told such a BS story.
Yeah! I couldn’t believe it when they called to tell me that. I just laughed and said I’ll see them tomorrow. The only possible explanation is that they looked at the wrong thing. I’ll update tomorrow. Not sure who to talk to if the local dealership refuses it.

loafer-N77

Staff member
Feb 4, 2019
UK
Typical UK dealership response unfortunately.
Most owners haven't got anywhere with paint issues without a massive fight. Most issues are with Performance Blue but other colours have issues also. Your example is one of the worst I've seen!!

Ask to speak to the Manager and if no joy there you'll have to go to Hyundai UK direct and complain.

R Veloster N

Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
Hi all!

I have had my I30N for about 3 months. I noticed a couple weeks ago that the paint was peeling on the front bumper. I have been told today that this won’t be covered under warranty. Has anyone else had this issue?
View attachment 15737
I'd take this up with Hyundai Assurance UK directly and file a complaint. This is defective paint and clear coat application.:oops: Also, go to a different dealership if your able.

Is this isolated to the front bumper facia alone? Did the dealership apply the Guard-X paint protection?🤔

This is warranted item and is quite obvious as a improper application of paint and clear coat.

Last edited:

Bambly

Jul 2, 2020
UK
I'd take this up with Hyundai Assurance UK directly and file a complaint. This is defective paint and clear coat application.:oops: Also, go to a different dealership if your able.

Is this isolated to the front bumper facia alone? Did the dealership apply the Guard-X paint protection?🤔

This is warranted item and is quite obvious as a improper application of paint and clear coat.
Heya,

Thanks for the advice! If I get nowhere tomorrow I’ll go down that route for sure! Yeah I think they did apply the guardX. Haven’t noticed any other patches, just the bumper. I’ll be keeping an eye on it.

Also on another note I was told that headlights fogging up is normal? Anyone else had any experience with this?

it’s a shame because I have had a few other problems that have been resolved under warranty with no issue at all. Not sure what the sudden change is all about.

R Veloster N

Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
No it's not normal, it's an issue with the seal in the headlight.

If they applied the coating, they may have damaged the paint with a DA. Pressure burning with a DA can cause this to happen as well. Not right away but a month or so down the road. Tp much pressure causes friction and unnecessary heat. With the heat buildup from the DA they burn the clear coat, which becomes brittle then flakes off after wind and water exposure. A DA is utilized to apply the coating and buff it.

So , you have another route you can approach this with.

Reactions: Bambly

Kev_G

Mar 27, 2019
Chester
usually its the performance blue cars that do this not any of the colours. They have given a standard response sadly, try another dealer if not take it up with Hyundai assistance.

Bambly

Jul 2, 2020
UK
Update for anyone interested. Spoke to my dealer and after some significant struggle they are going back to Hyundai to contest it. If Hyundai won’t cover it they have agreed that sales will pay for it to be resprayed so hopefully it’s resolved.
Apparently the headlights misting up is normal as long as it clears after 40 minutes which is pretty nuts. I’ll have to get some more evidence that it doesn’t clear after long journeys.

Reactions: NULLOBANDITO

Bambly

Jul 2, 2020
UK
hey can you post some more pictures of the bumper peeling? or DM me? we painted that bumper.
Heya,

Here are some more pictures of the affected areas. They are pretty much all the same.

Attachments

R Veloster N

Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
I hope they see some viable reason for a warranty repair on your behalf, before you have to make a customer complaint and carry the problem further for your satisfaction. :)

As has been said the photos are fine, no worries. You've amply shown the issue. :)

Tom Vanlimbergen

Jan 19, 2018
hey can you post some more pictures of the bumper peeling? or DM me? we painted that bumper.
Am I missing something here?
If they painted that bumper there must have been some damage to it. Not so strange than that Hyundai won't pay for it.
I think your dealer has something to explain if he didn't tell you that the bumper was resprayed (if it isn't something worse like an accidentrepair...).

_Emma

Oct 29, 2018
UK
There’s pictures of the factory where bumpers are made that @carlssontae shared in another thread...I think he means that’s where the bumper was painted originally not that it’s been repainted since