• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Tyres P zero vs Michelin can’t decide

Hey guys,

i got my PS4S fitted today and weirdly they put 2,5 bar (36psi) in every tire, aren't they supposed to run on the normal airpresure like the p zeros? which air pressure are you guys running?
I find the recommended pressure way too high. I use.2.4 front and 2.1 rear.

Hey guys,

i got my PS4S fitted today and weirdly they put 2,5 bar (36psi) in every tire, aren't they supposed to run on the normal airpresure like the p zeros? which air pressure are you guys running?

It's all down to personal preference with pressures I think. 39 all round is silly, I tend to run abit lower on the front and even more lower on the rears. Also the onboard pressure sensors show lower than what a pump will, mine does anyway.

It's all down to personal preference with pressures I think. 39 all round is silly, I tend to run abit lower on the front and even more lower on the rears. Also the onboard pressure sensors show lower than what a pump will, mine does anyway.
I found the pressure sensors to be spot on accurate against my PCL calibrated digital guage.

I found the pressure sensors to be spot on accurate against my PCL calibrated digital guage.
And mine show a bit more than my calibrated gauge (0.15 bar).
So, summing up the above: a bit less, spot on, a bit more, ...
Let's say they're pretty accurate 😉

The pressure sensors are not to be used as an accurate measure of the air pressure in the tires. They are merely purposed to indicate when a tire has severe loss of air and makes the car dangerous for (normal) driving conditions.
Without trying to trash the sensors, even if they were to indicate correct values it would have been only at the very beginning of a drive when the tires are at ambient temperatures. Once the car is driven for some distance, each tire can warm up differently and since temperature expands the air, then each sensor can (and will) show different measure.
Mine show constantly a bit higher than what I put and I've noticed that once of them insists to show 0.1 bar lower than the rest (noticed it when I did tire rotation :p )

On another note, one should follow the recommended air pressure of the manufacturer - remember that they tuned the entire dynamics of the car, suspension etc based on their calculations where the said pressure was used.
Preferably go slightly higher than lower from the recommended pressure for various reasons like sportier driving style, potential inaccurate pressure indication at the pump etc.
The recommended pressure is not brand-based either, so going from one brand to another while keeping the same size shouldn't result to changing the pressure and if due to empirical experience a change feels better it has to be very minimal.

Underinflated tires wear out much faster, their grip is compromised in most condition thus can be far more dangerous in cases of emergency than (slightly !!!) overinflated ones.

pressures.jpg

The actual tire sensors are pretty accurate, if you have a proper reader, they even show two decimal digits, e.g. 2,56 bar. And they also measure temperature (too bad the car doesn't output that).
In terms of temperature - yes, the pressure changes when the tires warm up, and that is why it should be measured at cold. However 0.1-0.2 bar offset really does not make absolutely any difference for daily driving.

Reactions: mikeo
I run 2.4-2.5bar front 2.2 rear when cold, so when driving it's normally 2.6bar front 2.3 rear. That's what i find best for my needs atleast.

Reactions: Jajodu