• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out out the i30 N Bible Here!

Engine Oil changes

So this seems to be a pretty common trend popping up on social media. I see everyone changing their oil right away or within a few hundred miles of getting the N cars. I’ve always changed mine right at 2500 to 3k miles for the first one. What do you guys recommend for the first change ? Also it appears the VN has a magnetic drain plug and I keep seeing them full of metal shavings. Is this normal ?
http://instagr.am/p/BnpPJ-Dn0J2/

I am assuming you mean this picture on old mates Instagram?

1544069597258.png

First time I've seen a metallic sump plug (if that is what he is referring too, I only speak English) Usually only on differential and transmission plugs on the cars I've owned.

Doesn't seem to be a whole heap to worry about being from new/factory however the dark color concerns me if it turned the oil that shade within 500km but I'm no mechanic! :eek::oops:o_O

I am assuming you mean this picture on old mates Instagram?

View attachment 4259

First time I've seen a metallic sump plug (if that is what he is referring too, I only speak English) Usually only on differential and transmission plugs on the cars I've owned.

Doesn't seem to be a whole heap to worry about being from new/factory however the dark color concerns me if it turned the oil that shade within 500km but I'm no mechanic! :eek::oops:o_O
This example was after 1000km but I’ve seen many other with much more metal. I’d expect a lil bit just from rings seating and machining leftovers. But others have posted plugs fully coated. Also that is pretty dark. Maybe it’s just poor oil quality from factory

GazmaN

Got mine done at 1500km just to be safe and for peace of mind. I wish i had have asked the workshop for the original filter so i could have taken it home and cut it open for a look. I did this with an old muscle car i used to own after engine rebuild and at 1000km - was shocked how much shaved metal was in it. I know i'm talking 1970s technology and cast iron blocks here, but a new engine is a new engine...

It's a transmission drain plug, not an engine oil drain plug. And the metal shavings on the magnetic transmission drain plug are normal. You'll see those in every cars. However, if you see a chunk of metal (or big metal flakes) instead of fine metal shavings, it means something is wrong.

Stash-N

It's a transmission drain plug, not an engine oil drain plug. And the metal shavings on the magnetic transmission drain plug are normal. You'll see those in every cars. However, if you see a chunk of metal (or big metal flakes) instead of fine metal shavings, it means something is wrong.
Agreed. This is like no engine sump oil plug I have ever seen. I would go with gearbox also. :)
I also agree that fine metal particles in a gearcase is normal as stated.