• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

New Car Needed - i30n, does it fit?

Paykatt

Feb 23, 2021
Germany
Hey together!

I‘m driving 2x42km daily / ~28.000km each year. More than 90% of the time it‘s on country roads and rarely on highways. Also the roads are very curvy with a lot up and down.

Actually I‘m driving an audi a4 avant 2.0 tdi quattro, it has now over 320.000km on it and since I tested an i30n yesterday, I fall in love into that car... :).

But before I get weak and instantly buy this car, I‘m really curios if it’s the right car for my conditions to drive it till 200-300.000km?
I won‘t buy a new one, so the guarantee won‘t be longer than 2-3 years.

My heart says: „buy the hyundai“ and my head tells me: „buy a 3.0l diesel“...

May you got some information that could help me?

Thanks in advance! :)

nicosp

Nthusiast
Dec 16, 2020
Cyprus
Follow your heart, YOLO etc 🤭 🤭 🤭 🤭

I believe you will be the only person to answer that question and the warranty is not the main concern.
The question is what you are looking for when you drive : spirited drive, economy, long life expectation ? most modern engines are supposed to handle 200-300k of normal use, not sure a sporty car along with a sporty driving style can be satisfy the 'normal' part 😜

Did you do a test drive of a 3.0L diesel to see how it feels and if you can live with that for ~80 km every day ?

Paykatt

Feb 23, 2021
Germany
Did you do a test drive of a 3.0L diesel to see how it feels and if you can live with that for ~80 km every day ?
Yea for sure, I already tested an 330d and an a4 3.0 tdi. My favorite is definitely the hyundai, it just fits best to all the curvy tight road stuff. But still, I’m german and therefore I’m really unsure about a turboinjected non-diesel over all the years I wanna use this car.

May my acutall car does that mind games in my head, since I had (beside new wheel bearings) 0 problems after using it from 92.000 to 320.000 km ...

PeterP

Nthusiast
Nov 2, 2018
Slovenia
Yea for sure, I already tested an 330d and an a4 3.0 tdi. My favorite is definitely the hyundai, it just fits best to all the curvy tight road stuff. But still, I’m german and therefore I’m really unsure about a turboinjected non-diesel over all the years I wanna use this car.

May my acutall car does that mind games in my head, since I had (beside new wheel bearings) 0 problems after using it from 92.000 to 320.000 km ...
Keep in mind the service intervals on this car...also how much fuel it uses...i currently have 40.000km on the clock and i still love the car after 3 years now. My avarage fuel consumption from 0-40k is 10.7L/100km and i drive it normally and very sporty and mixed so i think around 10-11L/100km is real avarage usage for this car. As for warranty it has here it's 5 years unlimited kms... idk how it is in germany. So i think if you maintain it well it should last.

Arteljus

Nthusiast
Sep 30, 2018
Sweden

Buying used cars like I30N is risky. Remember that many young people buy those cars and drive like crazy then just dump them. That´s why it is very important to know who was driving it and how. Never buy if it had several owners (exclusive dealers). I would also not buy a demo car but that´s better than used car with several owners as long as 5 years warrenty is still valid. Check that because car must be serviced at the Huyndai dealer for the warrenty to be valid.

It´s a perfect car for curvy road but it will cost you to drive it.

Tom Vanlimbergen

Nthusiast
Jan 19, 2018
I'm in about the same position as the TS: 27000 km a year...
Bought the car new though and I change cars every four years.
Yes it uses some fuel, yes it needs a service every 10k, ... but I only live once and life is to short not to have fun.
With the difference in maintenance costs between an i30n and an Audi or BMW you can buy a lot of fuel. That's also something to take in account.

Reactions: Jajodu and Bu11eT

Bu11eT

Staff member
Nthusiast
Jun 30, 2018
Germany · Schleswig-Holstein
but I only live once and life is to short not to have fun.
^
This!

Hey @Paykatt I am German as well. We often tend to recalculate things over and over again to find out if it makes sense.
I would advise you calculate the approx costs for said car and see if it's worth it for you. But don't turn over every penny, think about the fun such a car can give you :)

Reactions: GazmaN

Paykatt

Feb 23, 2021
Germany
Ahh may you got me wrong @Bu11eT @salemetal @Arteljus

I’m not worried about the „normal“ costs such a car will have (tires, oil e.g.) it’s more about if this car is able to handle that much km without getting problems with big stuff such as the engine/turbo e.g.

NULLOBANDITO

Staff member
Nthusiast
Dec 17, 2018
Innsbruck, Austria

I’m not worried about the „normal“ costs such a car will have (tires, oil e.g.) it’s more about if this car is able to handle that much km without getting problems with big stuff such as the engine/turbo e.g.
I've heard about a few locals here in Austria who put over 170k km on the car with no problems so far. I myself have an upcoming 66k km service in a few weeks (probably 2 weeks as much as I drive lol) and I've owned the car just over 2 years now, so ~30k km per year of driving.

Everything's still very much doing fine on the car, runs very reliably in any situation, be it -18C or +35C.
Only problems some people experience are shifter-related problems and creasing of the seats, but overall nothing that can't easily be fixed.

Reactions: GazmaN and Bu11eT

Bu11eT

Staff member
Nthusiast
Jun 30, 2018
Germany · Schleswig-Holstein

ah gotcha. What I've heard so far most of the components on the car are better than they need to be (with a few exceptions here and there of course), so it terms of reliability it should be fine. The engine is a proven one and not designed from scratch, so if you don't blow it up by treating it irresponsibly, it should last quite a bit! Unfortunately there are not yet that many guys who've put multiple 100ks of kms on the car, so the real-world data is missing if you will