• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Suspension and Chassis New camber adjustable top mounts from Forge

This^ I agree and no they aren't but this is how they look just sitting on the strut spring not installed. This is also how the top seat looks on the OEM configuration when not in place without the bearing. Nothing out of the ordinary. Once in place, they square up as long as the bearing is in place.

From the black spacer down is the OEM setup with exception of the spring.:). I'd imagine, if these photos came from Forge Motorsport this was just prior to Dan's i30N install. I'd like to still like to see the photos of @MicTok spring tops and assembly if possible as installed.;)

Still waiting to hear from @Jacool, if he has a similar problem or ever did. Since the op hasn't contacted @Dan_bush27, I'll give him a shout and see what he has to say along with any technical input.
These is the entire Kit in its entirety and the VN and i30N front strut assembly respectively.:)
img_0807-jpeg.14804

1b6980bbca376e8aa0a283b2de74b136.png
5454611.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Ahtnukiav
What was the OEM height before they were installed? Do you have a photo to verify the original OEM height? Please don't tell me, 12-15mm higher than pictured. I'd like to see it in a photo, either of you.:)
@Jacool do you have any popping or cracking with your install?
Yes i do, cracking is most audible when turning at low speeds but it might be as well spring rotating - highly doubt but have to verify that first. On bumpy roads there is rattling coming from the front of the car like sth was loose. So far i can live with it but nothing i experienced before with other top mounts installed on different cars. As for the height increase, after eibachs were installed front end sat at 332mm measured from the middle of the hub to wheel arch. After strut tops were fitted it sits at about 345 mm maybe more. You can actually visually compare forge design when mated with OEM strut bearing and pad to OEM design. It can be seen that distance between top of the strut mount to spring pad is bigger with forge setup than stock. Either way wait for your order and check for yourself.

Reactions: bunvnpp
I'm actually doing the development fitting for the VN. I have them from Forge Motorsport already. If there's any type of fitting issue, I'll make specific modifications then send the information and any modification requirements back to their research and development team.

I've recently double checked the fitment just to confirm the spring doesnt rotate on the strut. Although we made an adjustment on one spring pad it didnt make any difference: car sits higher than before the top mounts were fitted to the extent where there is no positive rake angle and there are noises coming from the front suspension like sth was broken. Very poor quality product.

I want to give some update on this. I know two folks that got the top hat for the VN and both of them had issues installing on the stock springs almost near impossible to do. One person end up ordering H&R springs to make the install easier. The top hat does indeed raise the car up! The install with H&R springs made the height settle to being the same height as my Eibach and the rear is now lower for sure.

When comparing the stock vs Forge with one piece from the OEM top hat you can clearly see a difference in height change.

• Sad
Reactions: dacho and Bu11eT
I've decided to go back to OEM top mounts. If anyone is interested in buying Forge ones (youā€™ve been warned) than feel free to contact me please - 250 Eur + shipping (I think no more than 10 eur).

Did you by chance utilize the original Mobis bearings and pads, when reinstalling the Forge Motorsports Top Mounts? If new units weren't installed the top mounts will pop and creak, as you're wearing metal against metal.
s-l1600 (1).jpg
New pads are essential for a proper install. :)

Last edited:
Did you by chance utilize the original Mobis pads when reinstalling the Forge Motorsports Top Mounts? If new units weren't installed the top mounts will pop and creak, as you're wearing metal against metal.
View attachment 15627
These are essential for a proper install. :)

You're a devil's advocate, right? #LOL

There was no (and i believe there still isn't) ant fitnment manual attached to the product, but - to make you, and anyone else, feel better informed - YES, The OEM bearing was installed together with adjustable top mounts. I've double checked how the top mounts were installed in two independent motorsport services, and their opinion is clear and unambiguous -> the noises are caused because of the Forge Top Mounts. It's a company offering absolutely no support for their customers, and even for their distributors.

And BTW - if you set the camber, it may cause damage to the bodywork.

Attachments

• IMG_4320-2.jpg
    IMG_4320-2.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 207
Oh no, I just have to ask the obvious questions.:)

If the original OEM units were utilized, they're already compressed and need to be replaced with new units. The new units need to be seated just like coil over or coil springs. If they weren't replaced with new units, they've already conformed to the OEM top mounts and are useless.

This has to be done with every new mounting and remounting of the OEM struts, new struts, or adjustable top mounts

There are somethings, that need to be left up to a professional installer who has the knowledge. It's not a novice scenario when mounting suspension parts.

It's either an acquired knowledge and skill or it isn't. When it isn't, it's best left up to a professional to do. :)

Last edited:
You're a devil's advocate, right? #LOL

There was no (and i believe there still isn't) ant fitnment manual attached to the product, but - to make you, and anyone else, feel better informed - YES, The OEM bearing was installed together with adjustable top mounts. I've double checked how the top mounts were installed in two independent motorsport services, and their opinion is clear and unambiguous -> the noises are caused because of the Forge Top Mounts. It's a company offering absolutely no support for their customers, and even for their distributors.

And BTW - if you set the camber, it may cause damage to the bodywork.

My friend with H&R springs used portion of the current/not new OEM top mounts (granted he still has less than 4k miles I believe) and he does not have the clunking/noise you have at this moment. During this pandemic he hasn't really driven his car, but will be tracking it soon and we'll see if any noise are made, etc.

Adjustable top mounts generally click, no matter what you do. It's just the nature of top mounts.

OEM top mounts, remain static but it's always necessary to replace the bearings and pads when the struts are off. Even the dealership will replace the bearings and pads, if they have to remove or replace the struts. :)

Adjustable top mounts generally click, no matter what you do. It's just the nature of top mounts.

OEM top mounts, remain static but it's always necessary to replace the bearings and pads when the struts are off. Even the dealership will replace the bearings and pads, if they have to remove or replace the struts. :)
in my experience they will check the top mounts and bearings and replace if worn, but not automatically.
This is the UK where we pay through the nose for genuine parts.

Reactions: loafer-N77
Never heard such a requirement to replace the top mounts when the strut assembly is taken apart. Had shocks replaced recently under warranty for a different car - the OEM tops were reused. Checked with a friend mechanic - he says it's bullshit and is never done (and never causes issues even for old cars).

in my experience they will check the top mounts and bearings and replace if worn, but not automatically.
This is the UK where we pay through the nose for genuine parts.
I understand the price differential in the UK and Europe and can imagine they wouldn't unless they were worn.
Never heard such a requirement to replace the top mounts when the strut assembly is taken apart. Had shocks replaced recently under warranty for a different car - the OEM tops were reused. Checked with a friend mechanic - he says it's bullshit and is never done (and never causes issues even for old cars).
Not all mechanics/technicians know what they're doing either and don't work under requirements of a warranty.šŸ˜‰
(Had a trained diesel mechanic, forget to lube the wheel bearings on a rear axle change with a work truck I drove and it froze up and snapped the axle on an initial test drive.)

I can't remember not changing out the bearings and pads, when removing or installing struts. Even the regular suspension /brake specialty shops will change them. They're entirely to cheap not too. (Strut bearing is $36.32 and the spring pad is $10.15.) Cheap insurance to guarantee a proper fit and alignment.

But to each his own.:)

Last edited:
Oh no, I just have to ask the obvious questions.:)

If the original OEM units were utilized, they're already compressed and need to be replaced with new units. The new units need to be seated just like coil over or coil springs. If they weren't replaced with new units, they've already conformed to the OEM top mounts and are useless.

This has to be done with every new mounting and remounting of the OEM struts, new struts, or adjustable top mounts

There are somethings, that need to be left up to a professional installer who has the knowledge. It's not a novice scenario when mounting suspension parts.

It's either an acquired knowledge and skill or it isn't. When it isn't, it's best left up to a professional to do. :)

This is funny, even Hyundai themselves (in workshop manual which can be found on this forum) says nothing about using new bearing and pad and only advices to check for wear and damage and the only part not meant to be reused is the lock nut. For Your information i reused OEM bearing and pad with eibach springs and there were no noises whatsoever. After few weaks i did the same with forge topounts and the clunks appeared. Coincidence?
And im just wondering what is Your (or Forge maybe) explanation for the increase in ride height that few of us noticed after forge product were installed.

Last edited:
Actually, I don't consider it funny at all. More a serious, genuine and concerted effort to help sort out issues both members are having.

Coincidence most likely not, considering the used OEM pads and bearings were reutilized twice. You won't know until you've installed the new pads and bearings. I'd be checking the how the springs are positioned on the spring perches with the old reutilized pads and bearings. However I digress, this has been mentioned more than once.

There are only two members (out of many who have purchased /fitted the Forge Motorsports Top Mount) who are having issues. I'd say in IMHO, "it's is more about how they were installed, then a direct problem with the top mounts themselves."

However no one knows, neither has posted photos of how they were/are installed or taken in consideration and utilized what has been offered as probable solutions.

Anyway, sorry you're having problems with your front suspension and I hope you get them sorted out.:)

Last edited: