• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

New AWD coming...

Throttle modulation is an wonderful thing and even my better half knows how to get the best from this. If I was to simply mash the throttle, on a less than perfect road surface in dodgy weather then I’m not expecting this car to do anything other than struggle for grip, whilst moving from side to side a lot. I’d also expect every FWD car with similar power to do the same.

I admit to not having driven an AWD car like a Golf R or A45 but it looks almost lazy, and uninspiring in many of the videos I watch. I’m not sure what it is but watching a car launch with no shift action or requirement to work the clutch or throttle (other than ‘foot to the floor’) is boring imo.

This car is an absolute hoot just pottering around town, at low speeds and then literally transforming into an animal when you find an open road. Love it every time I drive it but I’ll tell you why? I deliberately set out to make my driving experience as pleasurable as possible and I find this car so easy to do that.

My previous car was a modified 450hp RWD LS3 powered SS, I'm no stranger to throttle modulation which isn't my issue. It's just the whole FWD experience, torque steer, wheel hop that sounds like your interior is falling apart and an overall lack of grip compared to an AWD counterpart. I'm not saying the FWD system in the I30N is anywhere near bad, it's actually really good for a stock FWD car but like any FWD system is prone to the typical issues. For pottering around the street (in the dry) with good tyres it's great.

In a RWD you can turn lack of grip into fun, in a FWD car there is no fun it's a hideous series of events until you find grip. Finding the grip point and driving the car within the grip limits is fun sure but If the I30N makes peak torque low in the RPM range then I'd like to use it, having to modulate the throttle means you're not putting power down where you could which the AWD version is going to remedy. I believe the AWD version of this car is going to be an absolute weapon.

I believe the "lack of fun" from not having to modulate the throttle as much is absolutely going to be made up by insane launches and cornering capabilities. Put it this way .. I don't hear many Golf R, Focus RS or Audi S3 owners wishing their car didn't have AWD

I don't hear many Golf R, Focus RS or Audi S3 owners wishing their car didn't have AWD
Sadly most that bought those cars, didn't buy them because they can drive.

They bought them to brag and show off as the cars will flatter them and do most of the work without them even realising.

Of course there are the odd few that can drive, that own these cars, but you probably don't hear too much from them.

Reactions: NULLOBANDITO
Sadly most that bought those cars, didn't buy them because they can drive.

They bought them to brag and show off as the cars will flatter them and do most of the work without them even realising.

Of course there are the odd few that can drive, that own these cars, but you probably don't hear too much from them.

Absolutely no doubt in regards to launches but you still do have to fight it around the corners, the DSG Golf R is press the accelerator and go but I'd rather take the win than the "wow I'm really good I prevented wheel hop around that corner". I'm sure we'll get a better picture when the AWD version comes out for track comparison times but my money is on it being superior in every way. Unless people like torque steer of course.

I admit to not having driven an AWD car like a Golf R or A45 but it looks almost lazy, and uninspiring in many of the videos I watch. I’m not sure what it is but watching a car launch with no shift action or requirement to work the clutch or throttle (other than ‘foot to the floor’) is boring imo.

Both of those AWD cars run Haldex AWD systems which give mostly FWD performance except when the sensors detect wheel slip. It's pretty old technology to be honest. The newer active torque vectoring AWD systems are quantum leaps ahead. I got to drive a Ford Focus RS, and I was able to get power oversteer out of corners... in an AWD car.... not good for lap times but a heck of a lot of fun. But you have to work for it, it's not handed to you on a silver platter. I'm hoping that Hyundai move their sights from the Golf R to the Focus RS, it's a far more worthy adversary.

The automatic one? My dealer told me recently that they won't be releasing the automatic box, and that project was cancelled...

Fancy a dirty scumbag car salesman lying to make a sale!!!!..... lmfao