• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

N mode lost considerable sound and power. Perhaps overall car.

Wildsev

Sep 11, 2020
Maryland
Hi all,

I have a 2020 vn with 3500 miles and the only mods I have are the SXTH 200 cell catted downpipe and a resonator delete.

After installing the downpipe the car was extremely loud, the way I like it. Pressing the n mode would instantly change the sound of the car and the performance. This was both true Before and after the dp install

But this characteristic has been lost. I often run custom mode with normal engine mapping with the exhaust in sport +, and it used to be that when I go into n mode there would be a distinct upgrade in sound and performance.

There is now no audible difference between (Normal engine exhaust sport plus) to n mode. The car lost its blasting exhaust sound and the growling tone that n mode had is entirely lost.

Seeking help. I do have the borla exhaust system on the way but this issue seems to be my engine and not the variable valve.

I've disconnected the battery over night, I've checked the valve opening. I only run premium fuel. My oil is at the full marker. I'm thinking there may be a change in the ECU or a bad sensor but my dash does not indicate of any errors. I still see up to 12-15 psi boost, can pull to 120 mph. It's just the aggressive performance and aggressive sound has been lost.

The last action I recall right before losing this performance and sound was a brief blip WOT in first gear at a rolling start. It has now been a week or two and about 500 miles elapsed and the car is still in this state.

Last edited:

Nomad17

Dec 21, 2018
USA
Based on what you said you’ve checked maybe it’s just the esg you lost. Does your idle speed still rise when you switch to N?

Either way max power shouldn’t increase, just a more aggressive pedal sensitivity so you get more power with less pedal.

Wildsev

Sep 11, 2020
Maryland
Based on what you said you’ve checked maybe it’s just the esg you lost. Does your idle speed still rise when you switch to N?

Either way max power shouldn’t increase, just a more aggressive pedal sensitivity so you get more power with less pedal.
Yes the rpms still jump up a couple hundred in n mode. It's the sound that is lost. There used to be a deep rumble tone in n mode

rockthevote

Aug 8, 2020
USA
This video appears to be my situation :v

Some words I used from the other Veloster N forums include: "my vn sounds like a vacuum cleaner and boggy