• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Miles to empty challenge

What's your mpg? And actual range to zero?

Ach, I don’t want to skew someone’s perception of what this car can return as I’ve explained the type of commute my wife does numerous times.

But the facts of the matter are this - the most I’ve seen ‘to empty’ after filling up since I started recording the amounts is 310 miles and it averages 280 miles since August.

Lifetime mpg after 10500 miles is 24.5mpg. Like anyone else, I’ve achieved 36mpg on a 40 odd mile Airport motorway run but that’s not a true reflection of the day to day roads we need to negotiate.

I’m not being funny, but I’m also not spending this amount of money on a car to doddle about 95% of the time. It’s getting thoroughly enjoyed for another 3 years then move on;)

Sorry, meant to say, actual tank to tank is 200-230 miles.

All I did was follow the directions from the first post. Filled up, recorded miles to empty with a picture. What MPG I’m actually getting is irrelevant.

After reading through this thread again from the beginning, I'm wondering if we have another 'Diesel-gate' with US cars getting lied to with over-inflated results. Software tricks in the background on the VNs? But why?

Sorry, just thoughts running through my head after seeing Winterkorn (former VW boss) getting officially charged with fraud yesterday.

Reactions: GazmaN and Mark46
After reading through this thread again from the beginning, I'm wondering if we have another 'Diesel-gate' with US cars getting lied to with over-inflated results. Software tricks in the background on the VNs? But why?

Sorry, just thoughts running through my head after seeing Winterkorn (former VW boss) getting officially charged with fraud yesterday.
Love a good conspiracy theory :eek:

US miles = UK miles. Could be a miscalculation by a software author :eek:

Ha! On the Honda cbr250 I noticed a constant % error in the l/100km reported fuel use. I collated data from a forum of reported versus actual pump usage (ain’t the interweb grand!) spanning a huge range of km and fuel use from dozens of users over multiple tanks. Sure enough: a constant slope of % error pretty much matched the imperial versus US gallon % difference....looks like a code monkey screwed up...

So there is definitely something wrong.
Currently displaying 24mpg so the range should read (at the very best) 240miles/386km.
That 240mile range I calculated, would be a full tank to empty, I think the range is normally calculated from full to zero (37L/ 219mile range).
I would be making a call to the dealer and try to speak to a technician, I would be really interested to hear what they have to say.
I can’t see it being a UK gal/ US gal set up issue ‘cos it’s just so far out, like the range is reading double what it should be reading.

Highest miles to empty I've seen is 315 with the furthest I've gone being 306 - 2 miles range showing at time of fill up.

I have a spreadsheet keeping track of fuel usage for expenses reasons. So far my trip computer is passimistic and after 2800 miles is showing 1.7% less on average than the car is actually achieving (29.4mpg). On one tank I achieved a real world average of 31.5mpg but the computer was saying 29.5. Car is completely stock and I am surprised as most cars are wildly optimistic with these readings.