• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!
Drag to reposition cover

Mike's long journey to 300whp

Their instructions are terrible, the check valves are optional on the 3.0 but according to their support email, its required on the 3.3. I didnt want to use them at first as ive seen reports of some of them destroying themselves but i guess i have no choice now. Plus they come with different diameters and of course the instructions didnt specify which goes where either.
For the record, support says the smaller diameter goes to the intake and the larger diameter goes to the manifold
I do have the full aluminum
Mike, it’s definitely a check valve for the ADD W1 3.3 CC system. There have been others who have had problems with the same system. The check valves are failing.

Personally, you don’t need a 3 stage CC. I’d purchase one that will handle the PCV system solely and omit the problem side of the turbo. With all the problems ADD W-1 owners are having, I’d switch to something that is more dependable. Send it back and get your money back if it possible.

Reactions: Mikemr305
Mike, it’s definitely a check valve for the ADD W1 3.3 CC system. There have been others who have had problems with the same system. The check valves are failing.

Personally, you don’t need a 3 stage CC. I’d purchase one that will handle the PCV system solely and omit the problem side of the turbo. With all the problems ADD W-1 owners are having, I’d switch to something that is more dependable. Send it back and get your money back if it possible.

I saw those issues also lol
Currently working to resolve it,
Im just about done with add w1 😂

Reactions: R Veloster N
I may have an opportunity to trade in the N for more than i owe and put it towards a nice 2019 Mustang GT Premium 6mt one day soon.

After the whole turbo incident, ive been kind of down. I have parts laying around everywhere that im to busy to install, and im constantly worried im hearing problems that probably aren't there and ive just been exhausted.
I will always love this car, and god knows id miss the beautiful blue with my signature stripe.
I fear we're only a few years away from NA V8s dying as well as manuals, so this is an opportunity to have one of the best combinations of the 2 for a price i cant turn down.
It has all the technology id want as well, including active rev matching, blind spot monitor, auto dim mirrors, cooled seats,
Its practically fully loaded 😂

If its as "too good to be true" as it seems, ill be back but my Hyundai/Kia days seem limited. Even my wife wants to trade the Soul Turbo for a Bronco Sport 😂

Whatever you decide. Just know that it has been a blast following your journey of putting together your Veloster N. I still remember when I first got to see your car in person last year. You, and other members here have inspired me to modify my own Veloster N and put it together the way how I want to. Im gonna miss looking at that Performance Blue with the stripe. 😅

Whatever you decide. Just know that it has been a blast following your journey of putting together your Veloster N. I still remember when I first got to see your car in person last year. You, and other members here have inspired me to modify my own Veloster N and put it together the way how I want to. Im gonna miss looking at that Performance Blue with the stripe. 😅
Me too 😂
But ill get over it when i get to hear a good ole v8 cold start every morning

A shame, by far my favourite VN build thread and the best looking 👍.

Its difficult to keep going once your car has had a major issue and then not want to look elsewhere (been there myself).

Good luck with whatever your choose to do!

@Mikemr305 You guys have me so paranoid now of course, I have a brand new 2021 Veloster N which I absolutely love. Bone stock, have about 2k miles on her already.

I listened to a couple of the videos posted here about the turbo whistle, and I have almost the same exact noise under load. Correct me if I'm wrong though, is this not an expected noise from a turbo under load? I've had that exact noise since I rolled it off the lot and I figured it's just a normal turbo whistle, it's not overbearing, no psi loss, no issues thus far, noise has not gotten any louder, etc.

It doesn't really happen at all until > 10psi, specifically at max (~15psi) in 6th gear under load, but can happen in essentially any gear as long as it's near 15psi and the turbo is under load which is why I believed it to be normal.

I'd have to watch more videos of other velosters, but this has gotta be a normal sound coming from a turbo spinning at thousands of rpms moving tons of air, no?

@Mikemr305 You guys have me so paranoid now of course, I have a brand new 2021 Veloster N which I absolutely love. Bone stock, have about 2k miles on her already.

I listened to a couple of the videos posted here about the turbo whistle, and I have almost the same exact noise under load. Correct me if I'm wrong though, is this not an expected noise from a turbo under load? I've had that exact noise since I rolled it off the lot and I figured it's just a normal turbo whistle, it's not overbearing, no psi loss, no issues thus far, noise has not gotten any louder, etc.

It doesn't really happen at all until > 10psi, specifically at max (~15psi) in 6th gear under load, but can happen in essentially any gear as long as it's near 15psi and the turbo is under load which is why I believed it to be normal.

I'd have to watch more videos of other velosters, but this has gotta be a normal sound coming from a turbo spinning at thousands of rpms moving tons of air, no?
Try to record it. Under max load, my new turbo is practically silent. If it sounds anything like the turbo wine in my videos, its not normal

Try to record it. Under max load, my new turbo is practically silent. If it sounds anything like the turbo wine in my videos, its not normal
I'll see if I can get a good recording and report back, my dashcam didn't really catch it.

After re-watching the videos, mine is definitely way less noticeable than yours, doesn't sound like a supercharger whine or the "police siren" effect of a failing turbo. It's just a slight whistle at WOT when the air is moving. It's not dead silent though, there is for sure noise at 15psi.

How many miles or how quickly did you go from "new noise discovered" to complete "limp mode"? Of course everyone's experiences vary but I'm just curious if this was sudden or way over time.

I'll see if I can get a good recording and report back, my dashcam didn't really catch it.

After re-watching the videos, mine is definitely way less noticeable than yours, doesn't sound like a supercharger whine or the "police siren" effect of a failing turbo. It's just a slight whistle at WOT when the air is moving. It's not dead silent though, there is for sure noise at 15psi.

How many miles or how quickly did you go from "new noise discovered" to complete "limp mode"? Of course everyone's experiences vary but I'm just curious if this was sudden or way over time.
Limp mode might have been unrelated i think,
It was a knock sensor issue probably due to the JB4.
Took about a year from when i noticed it to when i finally snapped and decided to take it in, but the noise got really bad really fast. In a matter of months.
I was too stubborn to go to a dealer because every time i step foot in one, its a bad experience.
The knock sensor limp mode situation finally broke me though, so i took it in and they immediately ordered a new turbo after they heard the noise.
That was a mess of its own with the whole "2 months without a car" situation

Sad to see you go, but congrats on the new ride! Let us know if you want to part with any of those parts you said you had lying around waiting to install.

Those N cold starts were awesome but goddamn, this is a different experience. Obviously the stock exhaust isnt as loud as my N set-up but the V8 is felt, more than heard 😍

even so, it sounds so goddamn good 😂