• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Mike's long journey to 300whp

Mikemr305

Jesus, finally got it on and ready to go. Test drive in a few minutes to make sure i didnt break or forget anything. Currently doing the "ceramic coating cure" thing which u supposedly have to leave the car running for 20 minutes after install.

Mikemr305

Doing that yourself without a hoist is epic. I salute you, sir!
I started off myself but my dad lent me his parts and my brother helped me with the lifting and snaking of the oem and sxth downpipe. Definitely would not have been able to complete on my own. I was suprised that there was actually plenty of room to install though. This riggity harbor freight lift went pretty damn high lol

Mikemr305

So i decided to say F*CK it and i bought the sxth element intercooler. The car gets so hot sometimes its worry some so just as a preventative measure and its another step towards 300whp so might as well. After the hell of that downpipe install this thing looks like a half hour job lol. Front bumber and skid plate removal is the most annoying part it seems. Ive wanted an intercooler since day 1 as cooling seemed to be one of the biggest flaws of the N. The sxth is oem fit for the most part so i went with them. The crash bar replacement is a bit sketchy but only time will tell.

R Veloster N

The FMIC install is a piece of cake compared to a downpipe install. Bumper comes off quit easily alone with the undertray. Takes about 15-20 minutes. The bumper support from SXTH, is a replacement for the OEM unit. Over all install time will be in the 2-2.5 hour range, taking your time.

I'm presently working with Forge Motorsports and a prototype for the VN which doesn't require any modifications. I'll have it on this week with photos. It will fit inplace of the much smaller OEM unit and provide much better cooling retaining the OEM unit.

The Forge Motorsports FMIC will reduce reduce temp by as much as 75+ degrees. The bar and plate core has over 129% more volume and an increase of frontal surface area over 71% over the stock cooler.

If you're trying to get to 300 whp an FMIC is mandatory. :)

Mikemr305

Interesting. Forge was one of the first to release a intercooler but it did require cutting the bumper or something like that. So they're in development of a bolt on version? In your opinion do you think it will outperform the behemoth of the sxth intercooler? Ill definitely be keeping up with this on your thread.

R Veloster N

Yep, that's where I come in.

I've already got it in the garage. They' re allowing me (and I very grateful) to assist them with the developmental fitting. Everything will work as they've designed it. I've already had it out of the box an sized it up. I'm just lacking the install and photos to Forge Motorsports.

I don't know for sure about the SXTH FMIC. However, their video is showing a -41 degree out improvement over the OEM FMIC and a 14 degree in improvement on a dyno with a SXTH Intake. It's fairly inconclusive IMO. They need to data log the results over a weeks or so of street use.🤔

Mikemr305

Yep, that's where I come in.

I've already got it in the garage. They' re allowing me (and I very grateful) to assist them with the developmental fitting. Everything will work as they've designed it. I've already had it out of the box an sized it up. I'm just lacking the install and photos to Forge Motorsports.

I don't know for sure about the SXTH FMIC. However, their video is showing a -41 degree out improvement over the OEM FMIC and a 14 degree in improvement on a dyno with a SXTH Intake. It's fairly inconclusive IMO. They need to data log the results over a weeks or so of street use.
🤔
While you're available red, id like your opinion on the best available rear sway bar. Ive heard great things about this upgrade but dont really know a thing about it. End links seem to be sold separately so im not sure if theyre really nessesary. This is something i have no experience with but it doesnt seem to difficult and ive heard there's pretty much no downside to it. Any insight?

Last edited:

R Veloster N

Call them, they got it available. :) You can utilize the 24mm but it's over kill. I've got the 24mm and it's stiff. Some of the gents here in the i30N have had some knocking with it but not me. Maybe the difference in the chassis.

Mikemr305

Call them, they got it available. :) You can utilize the 24mm but it's over kill. I've got the 24mm and it's stiff. Some of the gents here in the i30N have had some knocking with it but not me. Maybe the difference in the chassis.
Does the stiffness in the 24mm over the 22mm affect the driving dramatically because the price difference seems insignificant. It might be overkill but what are the cons to the 24 over the 22 in daily driving?

Mikemr305

The intercooler has shipped already lol after waiting 3 months for the downpipe i was a delightfully surprised.
Few updates on the downpipe, after only less than an hour of driving with it it has a beautiful color to it. Very strange but nice to look at. After the initial white smoke and chemical smell of what i asume was excess ceramic coating, no issues. I am getting that raw gas smell that a downpipe is supposedly known to cause. I do notice a boost in low end power, and my gas mileage seems to be doing better as well. Ill have a week of going to work to test it out in normal mode as well as N mode and hopefully ill be throwing on my intercooler by this coming Sunday. After the intercooler i dont expect to be doing anything major to the car as ive pretty much crossed everything off my checklist. Ill be trying to save some money from here on out and enjoy the car as it is, with a few things here and there like the spacers im still waiting on. I still need tints and id really like a ceramic coating and then ill be pretty much all done until i decide if im going to tune it and get that 300whp sometime in the future.

Mikemr305

Intercooler comes on friday. I just realized i havnt seen a picture of one with the logo on it. Am i the only one who ordered it with the logo?