• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Engine Meth Injection

Nomad17

Nthusiast
Dec 21, 2018
USA
I've seen it mentioned here a few times (by Cygnus, maybe others) and had some very basic questions as far as it's benefits on an untuned motor. I believe the manual warned against it, was curious of the reasons for that (corrosion, fouling sensors?).

My main goal at this time is for the car to run as best it can on a stock ecu. I definitely noticed when opening my hood the first time the temp was significantly higher than I'm used to so will also look into ways of venting it.

From what I remember from the VT owners manual, it only mentions that methanol should not be added to the fuel tank. Is there something that specifically mentions methanol injection in the VN owner’s manual?

The benefits far outweigh the drawbacks. As far as warranty violation, remember that a dealer would have to prove it caused a failure of some kind.

What other questions do you have?

Reactions: R Veloster N
What are the drawbacks? From the brief searching I've done so far it all just sounds like better combustion and a cleaner engine. 50/50 is ideal but would i see noticeable improvements from a standard 36% washer fluid? Is pulling from the washer reservoir a dumb idea? Would using this make a catch can redundant? Just looking for the simplest/most effective solution to complement a daily driver.

Quick & dirty...

Pros
Cleaner combustion chambers, spark plugs & associated internals
Higher octane
Reduced risk of abnormal combustion
Lower intake temperatures
Ancillary fueling
More complete combustion
More power

Cons
System purchase & installation costs
Ongoing fluid purchase costs
Potential fire hazard (if high alcohol % is used)
Potential warranty issues (not easily removable)
Added weight (variable)

Yes, you can tap into your washer fluid reservoir and use regular “blue juice.” You can add bottles of yellow HEET to increase methanol percentage (calculated by weight and not volume). “Boost Juice” is a ripoff.

If you spray often enough, you won’t need catch cans, but always a good idea to use them to monitor your engine’s blow-by.

You’ll want to start out using a very small nozzle (250 ml/m or ~3 G/hr) and the factory washer fluid reservoir is plenty big. I’m using a 500 ml/m nozzle and I spray a lot.

Last edited:
What are the drawbacks? From the brief searching I've done so far it all just sounds like better combustion and a cleaner engine. 50/50 is ideal but would i see noticeable improvements from a standard 36% washer fluid? Is pulling from the washer reservoir a dumb idea? Would using this make a catch can redundant? Just looking for the simplest/most effective solution to complement a daily driver.
Don’t tap the washer fluid since it’s only going to hold a small amount that under certain situations you’ll blow through in mins. Devils own sells a good universal kit. And no I would still recommend running a catch can because most meth systems aren’t spraying all the time, only under certain situations like high boost etc. and you’ll still have crap coming out of the pvc building up between those times

Methanol? What's all this about? I presume You guys are boosting the weak R.O.N numbers that American petrol , sorry Gasoline has? Am I right?

Don’t tap the washer fluid since it’s only going to hold a small amount that under certain situations you’ll blow through in mins. Devils own sells a good universal kit. And no I would still recommend running a catch can because most meth systems aren’t spraying all the time, only under certain situations like high boost etc. and you’ll still have crap coming out of the pvc building up between those times

The washer fluid reservoir on the i30N/VN is a lot bigger than 500ml... You shouldn't have any issues running out unless you're using your windshield washer to clean your windows very often (i.e. salty winter conditions). Even then, it has a warning for when it's low that pops up on the dash so you know to fill it up before it runs dry.

The washer fluid reservoir on the i30N/VN is a lot bigger than 500ml... You shouldn't have any issues running out unless you're using your windshield washer to clean your windows very often (i.e. salty winter conditions). Even then, it has a warning for when it's low that pops up on the dash so you know to fill it up before it runs dry.
That’s my concern with using the reservoir. Especially in my area it is very dirty during summer and salty throughout winter. If I was using it for meth and cleaning my windshield I’d be filling it every other day lol. And a aux tank cost 30$ tops.

Most commonly-used systems are from AEM (by far) & Snow Performance. DO makes good nozzles but their systems are sketch.

Aquamist makes the most advanced systems.

I’ve used AIS (with 3-gallon tank in hatch) & Snow (with stock washer fluid reservoir).

Most commonly-used systems are from AEM (by far) & Snow Performance. DO makes good nozzles but their systems are sketch.

Aquamist makes the most advanced systems.

I’ve used AIS (with 3-gallon tank in hatch) & Snow (with stock washer fluid reservoir).

Yea I've used a Snow kit with an aux reservoir (500ml) with a pretty big nozzle on my SR20, it emptied the reservoir within a week or so usually...

I don't use that much washer fluid even during the winter so I'm thinking about just tapping the stock reservoir personally and running an AEM/Aquamist kit. We'll see what happens come summer.

This,
From what I remember from the VT owners manual, it only mentions that methanol should not be added to the fuel tank. and
It also warns against utilizing gasohol E85 and above and fuels that utilize more than 15% alcohol. Hyundai, has just recently changed the manual to include 15% ethanol fuels.

Water injection is probably a better choice for normal everyday use. JB4 has a Methanol Injection system available for the Stinger. I don't know if it will work on the Veloster N.

A simply call is all!

http://www.burgertuning.com/methanol_wmi_injection_for_kia_stinger.html
https://www.jb4shop.co.uk/collections/methanol-and-accessories/products/bms-methanol-kit
https://www.sxthelement.com/AEM-5-gallon-Water-Injection-Kit-p/30-3301.htm
https://www.sxthelement.com/AEM-1-gallon-Water-Methanol-Injection-Kit-p/30-3300.htm

Last edited:
For anyone interested in different meth injection systems I contacted Terry at BMS about their Kia Stinger Plug and Play nozzle adapter. He said it should fit the 2.0t engine so I asked if I bought one to test and if it didn't fit he'd waive the restocking fee.

Got it in today and and it fits our engine. Going to order the rest of their system today and get it hooked up hopefully this week.

IMG_20190819_163443.jpgIMG_20190819_163450.jpgIMG_20190819_163503.jpg