• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Megane Trophy R lap record

Corsa59

Great car, congrats on a new record.

You forgot a couple of things though. Less weight, 15% more power, racing tyres, and a Formula 1 driver equals more speed.

But spend $20K extra on an N in weight reduction, give it an additional 30kw, and a set of slicks and I am sure the N would be close... Power to weight ratio has never been the N's strong point.

without

Nice lap ;)

You can clearly see how he’s holding the car at around 6k rpm or a little above where our N already looses a little power. I think you’d need to shift a little more with the N whereas he never uses the 6th gear except for Döttinger Höhe

Crocoman

I’ve seen our car around the 8 minute time with traffic ( and not going for a lap record).

It’d be nice to see someone really go for it in the I30N.

Fantastic lap, but I see no comparison between this and the i30N.
Try using this car as a daily driver... two different beasts

WestsideTouge

Good points. I've asked renault which tyres were used on the lap, that makes the biggest difference. I hope to get an answer but not expecting some normal Bridgestone street tyre was used.

130kg less on our N's would be amazing but expensive and not enough for a record of course but i'm sure Hyundai is competent enough to shave at least 60-70kg off without making it a lot more expensive. Weight is the only thing holding the N back a bit.

Great car, congrats on a new record.

You forgot a couple of things though. Less weight, 15% more power, racing tyres, and a Formula 1 driver equals more speed.

But spend $20K extra on an N in weight reduction, give it an additional 30kw, and a set of slicks and I am sure the N would be close... Power to weight ratio has never been the N's strong point.

Crocoman

I’ll try dig out the 8.09 with traffic but don’t want to throw the thread off topic.

I specced a Megane RS 300 the other day on Renaults website and I was over £35k.

It’s been getting equal amounts of love and hate it must be said, this new generation RS....

It’s great that Renault will still build these types of car, and what a car it is, not a daily, its not meant to be, but i’d have one if funds permitted, use to have an R26.R, loved it and wish i’d never sold it.

This is kind of a cheat. A homologation special. Who does Renault try to kid! Just 500 units, some kind of group B special from the 80s?!

They do this just to get the name on the record and ok, you can buy it and a worthy car, but not quite in the spirit of things.

I think the Ring thing is getting out of hands. For me, the record should only apply to standard cars under showroom spec.

The Type R that previously had the record wasn’t a car you can buy, also had sticky tyres that aren’t standard on the road cars,removed rear seats, fitted a cage, now that’s cheating! Agreed, the ring times are pointless, but is is pretty impressive the time that these type of cars can get around there.

without

@The Lone Wolve : actually it’s just 30 cars since the record was done with the carbon-ceramic package ;) however just a couple of weeks ago the Nürburgring GmbH had the same opinion and decided to track records themselves. As of right now, they will employ staff to judge wether the car is “stock” or not, take the time and so on. You will also find the recent records on the nürburgring’s homepage. Classification is done according to the classification of the german car registrations office, so there also won’t be records for categories like “fastest 4-door and 4-seat coupe” etc.

Maybe the rules should be amended that only a car , picked randomly from a non local dealer, can be used. It must be registered already and once selected, the car would be sealed and be kepted at the local police station until a driver is selected. After the event, the record and the came car would have to be verified , checked and approved by the local government of the Ring's location.

sorry, to many crime podcasts this weekend!!