• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Loud ticking, with symptoms

Icegrx

Mar 16, 2021
Ohio
Hey everyone, just joined here!

I believe I may have an issue too sadly. I’m getting quite the loud ticking from underneath the hood.

from the sounds and location, it’s possibly the HPFP, which I know can be noisy and tick. This however just seems excessive. I suppose it could also be the injectors, or the valves themselves. What do you guys think?

I’ve also gotten the hard starts in the past, I guess you could say they are getting slightly worse too, but they don’t happen all the time. I’ve noticed my MPG to be down since first purchasing the car a year ago. Idle in normal mode seems to have gotten pretty sluggish, almost like it has the potential to stall, but never does.

when WOT, the car feels great, pulls hard. Pretty much anything over 35mph or with some spirit to the throttle and the car is perfect. If I’m city driving, feathering the throttle, doing stop and go the car feels “off”

inevitably I’ll be taking it into the dealer, but with no CEL or anything like that I fear they will pass me off. Anyone else have insight or similar experiences?

R Veloster N

Nthusiast
Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
Sounds like an injector leaking down. Pull each plug one plug at a time, see if one or more of the plugs are wet. If the plug is wet, the injector is leaking down.

Then take it to the dealership service and let them know. It’s warranted, same with the HPFP of its going bad.

Try this for now; if the engine starts hard. Shut it down and press the start button twice. This will prime the leaky injector/s first.

Icegrx

Mar 16, 2021
Ohio
Maybe it would be helpful to add a small clip of the ticking sound? Would be way easier to help you that way!
you’re right, I was going to then noticed I couldn’t directly upload. I’ll get a video up on YouTube and link it here tomorrow. It’s been awhile since I’ve used a forum haha

Reactions: Bu11eT

Icegrx

Mar 16, 2021
Ohio
Sounds like an injector leaking down. Pull each plug one plug at a time, see if one or more of the plugs are wet. If the plug is wet, the injector is leaking down.

Then take it to the dealership service and let them know. It’s warranted, same with the HPFP of its going bad.

Try this for now; if the engine starts hard. Shut it down and press the start button twice. This will prime the leaky injector/s first.
great advice! It that case it would be plausible that injector could be extra noisy I suppose.

I’ll get a video of the sound up here in a bit, I considered swapping my plugs out early so might as well take the opportunity while I’m doing this.