• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Lost tool tip behind the dashboard

HeatzZ

Nthusiast
Mar 1, 2020
Germany
So today i tried to swap out the tweeters in the car. Unfortunately my stupid ass lost a tool tipp in the tweeter hole. I‘ve been tryingto find the lost tool tip in the dashboard for the past few hours but no luck there.

Anyone got an idea what the best way would be to get the lost tool tip out of the dashboard?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Reactions: Mikemr305
If it rattles about it will distroy the ownership pleasure, if not buy a new tool and forget about it, not worth stripping the dash out, had an E.C.U replaced on a previous car and I'm convinced a 'TECHNICIAN' lost a screwdriver or something, got rid soon later!

Reactions: NULLOBANDITO
Reminds me of the nightmare when i lost a downpipe stud nut and spent 2 hours with a magnet trying to find it 😪

36" Flexible Magnetic Pickup Tool;

Or

Magic Fingers Tool;

Would be caught dead without one. :D 👍

Buy yourself a camera to look in cavities. Resembles the yools above but then with an extra cameratip so you can see what you're doing.
Comes in very handy and doesn't cost that much (about 50 euro).

36" Flexible Magnetic Pickup Tool;

Or

Magic Fingers Tool;

Would be caught dead without one. :D 👍
Yes I have the very same magic finger tool, they are very useful!

Reactions: R Veloster N
Inexpensive and actually work quite well
if you want better quality;

For your security, if was on the tweeter over fuse box side, check it out.

I had a similar issue with a bits extension on my first Megane II, and it went to fall onto the back of the fuse box, blowing various of them.

• Wow
For your security, if was on the tweeter over fuse box side, check it out.

I had a similar issue with a bits extension on my first Megane II, and it went to fall onto the back of the fuse box, blowing various of them.

Luckily it was the other side so i should be safe. But will try to get it out with the magnetic pickup tool

If its passanger side then it is quite easy to remove the glove box and maybe You'll have better access from the underside of the dashboard to find and reach the lost tool. There are crash bar, passanger airbag and air tunnels leading to the side vents underside and since tweeters are near the firewall i dont remember if You'll be able to reach that far. Worth a try considering its a half an hour job though. Good luck

If its passanger side then it is quite easy to remove the glove box and maybe You'll have better access from the underside of the dashboard to find and reach the lost tool. There are crash bar, passanger airbag and air tunnels leading to the side vents underside and since tweeters are near the firewall i dont remember if You'll be able to reach that far. Worth a try considering its a half an hour job though. Good luck

already tried that but no luck there as there is no way to reach the top from behind the glove box :(
Thanks though!

Update on this whole story. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the lost tool tip even with a flexible magnetic arm. When searching I noticed that you can reach the footwell of the passenger's seat from the tweeter hole. The tool tip might have rolled under the carpet or are under the center console. As they don't rattle or anything i will just leave them there.