• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Loss of power in 1st gear

Oct 2, 2018
Portugal
Literally happens every day now when I forget to turn off the TC and AEB. First time it happens, I turn off the TC and AEB, and it doesn't happen again.

Seems (in my case) to be TC related.

Car has only done 7000 kms, but I am booking it in tomorrow for the 10k service. Really annoying, as I did an oil and filter change at 5k.

Very very worrying....
Give us the feedback of what they think it is. In my case never happened again and I didn't change anything...

Schuey97

Jul 7, 2018
Mount Gambier, South Australia
Just had this happen today and remembered about this post.
First gear out of a corner up to the red-line and the power cut. Was in N Custom mode.

Did anyone find out any more regarding this and if its an issue or designed this way?

Whiteluxsun

Apr 30, 2018
Australia
Just had this happen today and remembered about this post.
First gear out of a corner up to the red-line and the power cut. Was in N Custom mode.

Did anyone find out any more regarding this and if its an issue or designed this way?
Mine still does it now and then...dealers are useless with kind of thing well mine anyway...ill mention it next service but like they said they fix it if it dosent fault for them on the day...ill find out once i start remapping eventually i guess..its like its not getting enough fuel and cutting i had same feeling/problem with another turbo car few years back...

Reactions: simmo777

watto33

Jan 30, 2019
Brisbane
Did you guys receive the revised fuel pump and ECU ?

Another reason why this issue sucks is when you hand the keys over to the dealership you know they're out thrashing your car to find the issue. Especially if you walk in saying "Yeah anything over 5k RPM and the car just dies" :eek:

OzzyMuppet

Mar 24, 2019
Australia
Had my i30n for a week now, and this has happened 3-4 times. When accelerating properly hard in 1st gear, it will suddenly brake 50%, so hard that you're pushed forward in your seat as if the brakes were slammed on.

First time I thought it was the Emergency Breaking seeing the edge of the road, but next two times I had plenty of room either side. This is with traction control OFF, though I have not yet tried turning the ESC off in Custom Mode....

1500km service tomorrow, will speak to dealer. True though, I don't want him trying to replicate this problem!!!!

watto33

Jan 30, 2019
Brisbane
Had my i30n for a week now, and this has happened 3-4 times. When accelerating properly hard in 1st gear, it will suddenly brake 50%, so hard that you're pushed forward in your seat as if the brakes were slammed on.

First time I thought it was the Emergency Breaking seeing the edge of the road, but next two times I had plenty of room either side. This is with traction control OFF, though I have not yet tried turning the ESC off in Custom Mode....

1500km service tomorrow, will speak to dealer. True though, I don't want him trying to replicate this problem!!!!
I was worried about the dealership part too. Can you replicate the problem yourself or is it intermittent ? Could maybe try and record it

jeroenvde

Mar 27, 2018
Belgium
Something to look out for is to keep your foot off the clutch pedal when fully accelerating in first gear. If the pedal is pushed even the slightest bit, the car will cut power to save the clutch.

Happend a few times and feels really weird like you describe here.

padigree

Staff member
Apr 1, 2018
Germany
www.youtube.com
Something to look out for is to keep your foot off the clutch pedal when fully accelerating in first gear. If the pedal is pushed even the slightest bit, the car will cut power to save the clutch.

Happend a few times and feels really weird like you describe here.
Could it then be a faulty or defective clutch switch in this case?
That would explain a lot. I often had problems with various switches on the pedals on my last car..

jeroenvde

Mar 27, 2018
Belgium
Could it then be a faulty or defective clutch switch in this case?
That would explain a lot. I often had problems with various switches on the pedals on my last car..
Could be, or just the switch is very sensitive and should be adjusted?
I try to keep my foot a few cm away from the pedal when fully accelerating. This is not ideal in first gear because you have to be fast to blast it in to 2nd :)

OzzyMuppet

Mar 24, 2019
Australia

Happened a few times and feels really weird like you describe here.
That actually sounds very similar. My passenger thought I braked to slow down. I will try replicate tomorrow when it's light. Before the last week, I'd not driven manual for a 10+ years, so I'm no professional, easily possible I touched the clutch. Thanks for the great info.

Reactions: jeroenvde

jeroenvde

Mar 27, 2018
Belgium
That actually sounds very similar. My passenger thought I braked to slow down. I will try replicate tomorrow when it's light. Before the last week, I'd not driven manual for a 10+ years, so I'm no professional, easily possible I touched the clutch. Thanks for the great info.
You're welcome ;)

Daleos

Mar 4, 2019
Cumbria
Hiys just reading through this as mine has just started, either 1st or 2nd gear if you rev it over 5000rpm when it normally pops and bangs it feels like it goes in to a limp mode, kills all power and won't accelerate over 5000rpm now until I knock the car off and restart it... did anyone get any look from the dealership before I take mine in??