• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Tuning Looking to Tune and maybe mod my car (reccomendations please).

TheRealNate

Nthusiast
Jun 20, 2020
West Palm Beach
I have a 2020 Veloster N PP and I'm looking to get a tune or a piggyback "with a cold air intake and a down-pipe.

My questions are if i should get a 2nd ecu for the tune or should i only use a piggyback tune and what mods should I add like spark plugs intake/exhaust etc.

How long should I expect the car to last and or how much accelerated engine wear is to be epected.

Depending on your power expectations quite a few mods will be required for the car to be 'usable' with increased. letting you'r engine 'breathe' more will do you wonders so a FMIC and downpipe would be essential, alongside an ECU tune. the OEM air box and intake on our cars is already good for up to 400bhp as recorded in @TarmoT build thread, but quite a lot of members have still upgraded this system, also the addition of an air intake snorkel to help feed fresh cold air into the air box will be a great addition.

the restricting feature for power on our cars is the turbocharger, you won't safely achieve over 320ps with our stock turbo, so if your looking for anything above, that will need upgraded.

with the addition of extra power, you'd want to upgrade your upper and lower engine mounts as well as change to some good tires such as pilot sports 4 or 4s as this will help you get a lot more grip and eliminate wheel hop in the wet.

Using a piggyback vs a tune is personal preference. if you want to keep engine warranty then don't get a tune. but a proper ECU tune will always beat a piggyback hands down.

as for accelerated engine wear I can't comment too much on as I don't think there is enough documented data on people running big power for quite a long time, due to the cars age. But you'd expect running high boost pressures would have some negative effects over a long time on the stock internals as the engine block is 'open deck'. What I can say is you'd like to upgrade your clutch for sure anything past 320ps if you plan on giving it the beans.

There is enough build threads and data from various members on here that will tell you all in detail, and I'm sure if you look at members such as @R Veloster N, @TarmoT and @Dan_bush27 you will find all you need to know about our engines capabilities!

I'm
Depending on your power expectations quite a few mods will be required for the car to be 'usable' with increased. letting you'r engine 'breathe' more will do you wonders so a FMIC and downpipe would be essential, alongside an ECU tune. the OEM air box and intake on our cars is already good for up to 400bhp as recorded in @TarmoT build thread, but quite a lot of members have still upgraded this system, also the addition of an air intake snorkel to help feed fresh cold air into the air box will be a great addition.

the restricting feature for power on our cars is the turbocharger, you won't safely achieve over 320ps with our stock turbo, so if your looking for anything above, that will need upgraded.

with the addition of extra power, you'd want to upgrade your upper and lower engine mounts as well as change to some good tires such as pilot sports 4 or 4s as this will help you get a lot more grip and eliminate wheel hop in the wet.

Using a piggyback vs a tune is personal preference. if you want to keep engine warranty then don't get a tune. but a proper ECU tune will always beat a piggyback hands down.

as for accelerated engine wear I can't comment too much on as I don't think there is enough documented data on people running big power for quite a long time, due to the cars age. But you'd expect running high boost pressures would have some negative effects over a long time on the stock internals as the engine block is 'open deck'. What I can say is you'd like to upgrade your clutch for sure anything past 320ps if you plan on giving it the beans.

There is enough build threads and data from various members on here that will tell you all in detail, and I'm sure if you look at members such as @R Veloster N, @TarmoT and @Dan_bush27 you will find all you need to know about our engines capabilities!
I'm only looking to get about 300-320 max of whp, what would help for that (sorry for being babied)

I'm

I'm only looking to get about 300-320 max of whp, what would help for that (sorry for being babied)

The stock turbo is limited to produce around 280hp at the wheels or 320ish at the crank and it's pretty much as simple as that, the car wont get to any power above 300hp at the wheels without a turbocharger upgrade and probably an upgraded fuel pump! for max power at wheels without turbo upgrade I would suggest Intercooler, Downpipe, remap.

Ditto @ r_anderson96 you'll never see over about 300 - 304 whp with the stock turbo. Doesn't matter what you do,, unless you add nitrous oxide. That's something you just don't want to do with the OEm pistons and rods.

While your engaged is this thread ;

Welcome to the forum. Give the forum the opportunity of an introduction and make sure you're familiar with the Forum Rules;
Make sure you utilize the search engine often, to locate specific topics of interest and discussions. It will help the forum staff to keep down duplications of discussions, having to move posts and eliminate threads. :)đź‘Ť

Reactions: r_anderson96
The stock turbo is limited to produce around 280hp at the wheels or 320ish at the crank and it's pretty much as simple as that, the car wont get to any power above 300hp at the wheels without a turbocharger upgrade and probably an upgraded fuel pump! for max power at wheels without turbo upgrade I would suggest Intercooler, Downpipe, remap.
Intercooler gets better air conpression? Any recommendations of brands or specific one.

Ditto @ r_anderson96 you'll never see over about 300 - 304 whp with the stock turbo. Doesn't matter what you do,, unless you add nitrous oxide. That's something you just don't want to do with the OEm pistons and rods.

While your engaged is this thread ;

Welcome to the forum. Give the forum the opportunity of an introduction and make sure you're familiar with the Forum Rules;
Make sure you utilize the search engine often, to locate specific topics of interest and discussions. It will help the forum staff to keep down duplications of discussions, having to move posts and eliminate threads. :)đź‘Ť
The Whp sounds good to me, do you know what kind of acceleration times that makes