• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Tuning Long term reliability of remaps

Good topic! Since most "tuners" just buy a map from dodge websites wich claim high numbers and flash it to the ECU without even monitoring the AFR.

Reactions: loafer-N77
As above the simple fact is don't change the parameters set and expect things to be fine for years

But the OP is not asking about bad maps, just having a remap?!
Tuning boxes are another story but a good tune will do no damage at all.

Thats why its so important to go to a reputable expert and the problem nowadays is every man and his dog can call himself an expert.

@Mason Storm I believe we've covered this before but just take your car to Courtenay Sport (sod the distance, make a road trip out of it or something).

This ^ !

Forge Motorsport does tunes as well. A good tune will enhance performance of the car, not hinder it.

Long term, there is no change in the tune nor does it pose issues for the engine, as long as it’s a good one.

Stick with a tune, that will support any modifications you have or are planning. All of which are bolt on modifications.

Remember, as soon as you tune the engine you’ll most likely void the warranty. In most instances, Hyundai doesn’t approve of ECU tuning, so keep this in mind when proceeding. A swap able tuned ECU is the best bet.

Last edited:
Reactions: loafer-N77
This ^ !

Forge Motorsport does tunes as well. A good tune will enhance performance of the car, not hinder it.

Long term, there is no change in the tune nor does it pose issues for the engine, as long as it’s a good one.

Stick with a tune, that will support any modifications you have or are planning. All of which are bolt on modifications.

Remember, as soon as you tune the engine you’ll most likely void the warranty. In most instances, Hyundai doesn’t approve of ECU tuning, so keep this in mind when proceeding. A swap able tuned ECU is the best bet.
Thanks I understand all the above but still good to hear how people are getting on long term. Is the gearbox and clutch ok? Any fault codes or other issues that potentially could be linked to the remap.
How would one go about getting a swappable tuned ECU and not even sure what that is?

I wish Hyundai would partner with a performance brand under warranty like Ford does with Mountune where you keep your warranty. Makes you wonder if they know it’s not a good engine to remap

Thanks I understand all the above but still good to hear how people are getting on long term. Is the gearbox and clutch ok? Any fault codes or other issues that potentially could be linked to the remap.
How would one go about getting a swappable tuned ECU and not even sure what that is?
Mines doing fine and I'm at the higher end of 304 whp. A lot depends on how you drive the car and how it's tuned. Thrash it and they won't last but this is true for even a stock VN or i30N.

I don't know who would do a swappable ECU with tune for you in the UK but SXTH Element and soon one other tuner.

Last edited:
I wish Hyundai would partner with a performance brand under warranty like Ford does with Mountune where you keep your warranty. Makes you wonder if they know it’s not a good engine to remap

Unfortunately that no longer happens with Ford and Mountune. No warranty friendly remaps/mods anymore.

Most i30N models with higher mileage (40k km and more) and a remap with 450NM+ will suffer from clutch slip.
Most clutches cannot even hold 450NM after 40k km, even if those km were driven stock. So either do a super soft remap or upgrade the clutch.

Up until now this is the only weak link that is directly related/impacted to a remap (when you don't wanna do any other hardware changes).

Other weak links such as intercooler and hpfp do not suffer from a remap as much as the clutch does.

Most i30N models with higher mileage (40k km and more) and a remap with 450NM+ will suffer from clutch slip.
Most clutches cannot even hold 450NM after 40k km, even if those km were driven stock. So either do a super soft remap or upgrade the clutch.

Up until now this is the only weak link that is directly related/impacted to a remap (when you don't wanna do any other hardware changes).

Other weak links such as intercooler and hpfp do not suffer from a remap as much as the clutch does.
That’s good to know so I need to build in cost of upgraded clutch then

Reactions: Bu11eT
@Mason Storm I believe we've covered this before but just take your car to Courtenay Sport (sod the distance, make a road trip out of it or something).
This.

Courtenay are the leading uk tuners of i30n's they do live mapping not a generic flash map like the forge one. It's unique to the car.

How it impacts the car will basically depend on you IMO. If you beat the car daily expect things to break. If you cruise at normal speeds but only now and then put your foot down / want it to smooth overtaking power delivery etc out then you'll probably never have 1 issue.