• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out out the i30 N Bible Here!

Wheels Lightweight rims

jeroenvde

Be very aware that stock OEM EVO X wheels will NOT fit on the N, at least not without suspension and or guard work. I trial fitted a wheel (without a tyre) on the back of my car, it stuck out way too much.

These wheels are 18 x 8.5" ET 38. The wheels I run are 18 x 8.5" ET 44, and I reckon they are as flush as you want to go. MPSFunJet has 18 x 8.5" ET43, and he had the wheels measured up and machined to go as flush as possible. Only 1mm difference, but the BBS EVO X wheels are 5/6 mm wider on the outside.

Can the EVO X wheels be machined at the hub to increase the offset by 5 mm? If they could be machined down to ET 43/44, they would be sweet. I highly doubt it, I spoke to SSR about this with my wheels and was advised the wheels were manufactured for maximum strength and minimum weight, and they could NOT be machined without significantly reducing strength.
Thank you for the warning!
Indeed EVO X GSR are 18" ENKEI ET38 8.5J.

I don't like the idea of machining a wheel and loosing strength

1541756365088.png

Corsa59

Close, but you have entered the WRONG ET (offset) for the OEM factory wheels. They are in fact ET 55, and NOT ET50.

Current Wheel Specs
Width inches 8"
Offset mm 55

New Wheel Specs
Width inches 8.5"
Offset mm 38

CALCULATE

Results
Inner Clearance:(the inside of the wheel to the strut housing) 11mm MORE (clearance)
Outer Position:(position of the outside edge of the wheel) 23mm EXTEND (further out)

WAY TOO MUCH! My are 17mm further out, and are flush. ET44 to ET38 means another 6mm, therefore 23mm.

That 23 mm is calculated by adding the 17 mm decreased offset to HALF of the wider wheel width. The 8.5" wheel is ~12 mm wider. So 17+6 mm = 23 mm...

And (just a fun fact) the DIAMETER of the wheels plays NO part in determining the wheel positioning. An 8.5" 14" wheel will sit in exactly the same position as a 8.5" 22" if the offset is the same.

Corsa59

Y
You have a tyre size I have NEVER seen (240/40R18), so I will assume you mean 245/40R18.

The answer is a definite yes! The wheel and tyre combo will sit about 4mm further in than mine, so they will still look quite flush, and will not foul the guards in any way.

An offset of 48 or 49 would have been my ideal if I could find the right wheels in Oz. We are not necessarily limited in choice of wheel, but sometimes the price of wheels out here is prohibitive, and the choice of fitments is limited.

I run 245/40R18s on ET44 wheels, and I have NEVER touched a guard with my tyres.

jeroenvde

Y

You have a tyre size I have NEVER seen (240/40R18), so I will assume you mean 245/40R18.

The answer is a definite yes! The wheel and tyre combo will sit about 4mm further in than mine, so they will still look quite flush, and will not foul the guards in any way.

An offset of 48 or 49 would have been my ideal if I could find the right wheels in Oz. We are not necessarily limited in choice of wheel, but sometimes the price of wheels out here is prohibitive, and the choice of fitments is limited.

I run 245/40R18s on ET44 wheels, and I have NEVER touched a guard with my tyres.
Thank you for the seal of approval :)
I will go for 8.5 like you see, this gives the rim a deeper face type according to the Enkei website.
I indeed mean a 245 tire

In the next weeks i Will order some motec ultralight in measure 19x8.5 et45 (because in italy the performance pack can use only 19 inch on the road)
The weight in this size is just 9.3kg........I Will check them when they arrive to confirm that

Corsa59

In the next weeks i Will order some motec ultralight in measure 19x8.5 et45 (because in italy the performance pack can use only 19 inch on the road)
The weight in this size is just 9.3kg........I Will check them when they arrive to confirm that
Jim, why can the N only use 19" in Italy?

Jim, why can the N only use 19" in Italy?
Is the only measure reported in the car documents from hyundai.....to put the 18 inch we have to buy certified rims and then after something like a mot they Will add the measure in the car documents ........ but is more expensive that simply buy 19